News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 633     0 

King West versus St. Lawrence Market

spitt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am contemplating two condo units. One at the Glas and the other at Market Wharf. I am hoping that you guys can give me your comments or tips.

The price is about the same, but MW is higher (as a result of the HST). MW won't be ready for years and the Glas is available now.

The maintenance fees is about equivalent right now, but Glas has less amenities (it has no gym for example), so perhaps the maintenance fees will remain lower (but I think it has less units, not sure).

Which would get a higher resale value in terms of location? King West or St. Lawrence?

Also, Glas has a lot of condos surrounding it, whereas MW (it's a higher floor, so the Gardiner wouldn't be a big problem) has view of the water.

Also, do most resale purchasers look for gyms?

Which would be more attractive to you? Which would get a higher value years from now?

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I knew King back in the day. He was a scrawny kid and it is unbelievable to see how much he has beefed up. So different from Lawrence - the product of a privileged upbringing, but still tough as nails. King has a nasty right uppercut that will surprise you, but I think he's still carrying around of lot of insecurity and that makes him vulnerable to the knockout blow. But he has lighting quick feet, and that can make the difference in a long bout.

Lawrence on the other hand is more of a classicist in the ring - not so flashy but more dependable. I think he'll go to work on the body in the early rounds, trying to take some of the wind out of King and slow him down a bit. If this thing goes the distance, I think Lawrence will take it on points, even though he probably won't have hurt King much. But if King can land that quick right, this will end early.

I would take King in the 3rd.

Why you don't have a look to 75 Portland and 550 Wellington in King West? these 2 buildings are almost finished and some units will become available soon. These 2 buildings are much better than Glas and it's a better location

I'm a bit biased because I bought my first place near St. Lawrence Mkt (Mozo and made a killing on when I sold it in Oct), bought an investment ppty in Market Wharf and bought a place in Corktown (Corktown Lofthouses). I love the St. Lawrence Mkt area. As a community I think it has much more cohesiveness and the fact that it anchored to the actual market also makes it more of a community in my opinion. I think the demographics are probably a bit more mature and perhaps a little less transient than King W. Also, the east side (near) has more development potential. With the West Donlands and the emergence of Leslieville eg I think the growth potential of the east side is fantastic and also think that this will result in great ROI. Re King W., I'm concerned it's becomong a little too clubby though the quality of these places are generally more upmarket (without the pretense of say Yorkville). I don't think you'd do badly with either locations.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but I'd definitely go spend some time in both neighbourhoods. Walk around, check out some bars and restaurants, get a feel for the place in both the daytime and at night.

I'd choose St Lawrence, personally, because it's got a more laid back feel to it. Some people would find it boring, though, which King West definitely isn't.

I find the average joe walking around the SLM to be almost in "weirdo" land. Go in the QQ Loblaws and seriously, you feel creeped out. Out in the opposite equivalent, Metro LV, it's a different experience, although LV feels more like SLM area than King West proper. King West/Freedville feels cool, whereas SLM and LV feels like weirdo/corporate bore land.

King West: 1, SLM-0.

What am I missing? I've been in that Loblaws countless times and have never felt creeped out.

I find the average joe walking around the SLM to be almost in "weirdo" land. Go in the QQ Loblaws and seriously, you feel creeped out. Out in the opposite equivalent, Metro LV, it's a different experience, although LV feels more like SLM area than King West proper. King West/Freedville feels cool, whereas SLM and LV feels like weirdo/corporate bore land.

King West: 1, SLM-0.

I can't comment on the Metro LV but I have no idea what you mean by "weirdo" or feeling "creeped out". I was just there on the weekend and actually thought the exact opposite - i.e., I was impressed by the number of attractive fit relatively hip (but not in a wannabe kind of way) ppl. SLM is perhaps more boring but I like where I live to be a bit boring - as long as it is close to the action and amenities.

I can't comment on the Metro LV but I have no idea what you mean by "weirdo" or feeling "creeped out". I was just there on the weekend and actually thought the exact opposite - i.e., I was impressed by the number of attractive fit relatively hip (but not in a wannabe kind of way) ppl. SLM is perhaps more boring but I like where I live to be a bit boring - as long as it is close to the action and amenities.

absolutely agree. I have no idea where this creepy or weirdo feeling is coming from. Whenever I go there I see numerous young couples and many attractive (that is not the point I know :) )

As to your choice, I agree with comments above. I find King West much more upscale but am a bit worried that it has been created out of nothing by Freed and others. This is not a bad thing but it scares me as an investor because when the market slows down will that area be sustainable. MW is a great location and easy to rent out being close to Yonge, Bay and the Subway.

In the end if you are living there, buy what you like not based on returns. If it's purely investment (without knowing prices) I would buy in SLM.

I agree.

The Metro at LV is the greatest grocery store I've ever been to. Nothing but hot women between the ages of 18-30. I've never seen so many hot women in a grocery store. Thought I was on the set of a 2 Live Crew video.

I'd personally choose St Lawrence Market because its far more central to all the amentities in the downtown core and has a wonderful community family-oriented presence about it on one hand, but at the same time also has a happening vibrant dining & nightlife culture if that's your thing.

I love the old town, neighbourhood feeling, walk-ability factor, shopping and close proximity to downtown in St. Lawrence Market. As someone noted above you can't go too wrong in either area but this type of question nets subjective answers. Walk around both areas & look for food markets, video stores, gyms - whatever type of places you frequent & would like to be near and decide what works best for you.

Loblaws QQ is ultra cruisy on weekend mornings & afternoons, never found it to be full of weirdos (whatever that means). It seems to me that a large food market is such a strange place to get cruised in. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I've written numerous long posts in the past about how much I like living in the SLM neighbourhood, so I won't repeat it all here. Suffice to say, it's very livable and walkable, yet fairly quiet. It's a true neighbourhood in that you can quickly get to recognize and know people in the various stores and on the streets. You're a short walk or streetcar ride from the more trendy areas like Queen W or King W, but you don't have to deal with the noise and hassle of being on such a main drag. A lot of people (myself included) aren't really aware of the SLM neighborhood until they get here, because it seems to fly under the radar, but it works well for me. Lots of great restaurants, coffee shops and low-key pubs if you know where to look.

As for the QQ Loblaws, I find it to be exactly like any other Loblaws, and have no idea what could be considered "creepy" about it. However I rarely shop there as the walk south under the Gardiner is not very pleasant. Other more convenient grocery options are the SLM itself and the Metro across the street from it. There's also a decent Sobey's a bit east on Front, and a rumours of a new New Frills coming to the Toronto Sun Building. However, from Market Wharf these last two would probably be considered "out of the way".

Even though I'm an LV guy, I'm definitely not a Freedville guy as that area of King West has taken a turn for the worse and is pretty horrible thurs-sat (the new entertainment district with all the trashy people), so between the two, I'd go for St. Lawrence Market. Also, SLM is closer to the subway by about 500m and as mentioned has much more potential for an upside with the west donlands development and new condos at the distillery pushing the boundaries of downtown all the way to the DVP. Freedville and the area around GLAS (which, unless you have a north facing unit will have absolutely no views within a year) are built up and pretty much done. All the above being said, if nightlife is your thing, then the St. Lawrence Market area is BORING and pretty much dead with few decent restaurants and fewer decent lounges.

Back