News   May 03, 2024
 962     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 592     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 284     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Isn't it time that we realized that this is a major corridor both in terms of passengers carried and in terms of importance to the network, and that this corridor is enough passengers to meet the TTC's standard of 10 000+ peak passengers per hour. Thus it is time to place this corridor underground either by building a subway or an underground LRT. If we can do it for Eglinton than surely we can do it for Queen/King as I'm willing to bet that Queen/King will carry far and away more passengers than Eglinton.

Metrolinx is working on that. Something called the Relief Line, which will run under King Street.

I think your family is case is unusual. Especially if you're not first gen immigrants. 15/16 people in my family (in Canada) are able to read and write.
1/6 is still 6.0125% that still marginally exceeds the general population. I'm simply saying the 6% figure seems rather low, as statistically this pretty much covers those younger than grade 1 in the population.

Did the one that is too old just never learn to read and write, or is he/she just too old to read because of poor vision. If the latter is true, I'm fairly certain that he/she qualifies as literate.
Dementia. The last time I saw them trying to read was about 8 years ago, and they were holding the newspaper upside down, reading us story that wasn't actually there. At this point they are well beyond illiterate.

Perhaps a tad OT.
My wife had a medical appointment at TGH. On the way home I turned East off of Elizabeth onto College St and drove through Bay and Yonge with no holdups which prompted me to remark on the good time we were making. My wife replied "of course, there are no eastbound streetcars to hold everyone up" and she was right. When I could see all the way to Parliament there were no eastbound streetcars ahead of us and very little traffic. The westbound drivers were not so lucky, we met 3 streetcars between Jarvis and Parliament each towing their convoy of cars and trucks along at a crawl. Who is holding up who?

I say the same thing when I'm on a streetcar and the traffic is light. Streetcar makes great time when cars aren't in the way.

Perhaps a tad OT.
My wife had a medical appointment at TGH. On the way home I turned East off of Elizabeth onto College St and drove through Bay and Yonge with no holdups which prompted me to remark on the good time we were making. My wife replied "of course, there are no eastbound streetcars to hold everyone up" and she was right. When I could see all the way to Parliament there were no eastbound streetcars ahead of us and very little traffic. The westbound drivers were not so lucky, we met 3 streetcars between Jarvis and Parliament each towing their convoy of cars and trucks along at a crawl. Who is holding up who?

Haven't we covered this before?

Both are holding up each other, but streetcars are moving far more people than private automobiles.

Spider, do you ever consider putting yourself in other people's shoes? A lot of your posts do seem to be dedicated to whether or not you personally benefit from something.

I say the same thing when I'm on a streetcar and the traffic is light. Streetcar makes great time when cars aren't in the way.

Too true!

Last edited:
I was very surprised to see a cop on a bike enforcing the existing transit-only late on King Street West during this afternoon's rush hour! Finally!

My wife replied "of course, there are no eastbound streetcars to hold everyone up" and she was right.
Perhaps that's why there's no congestion on roads like Bloor and Eglinton, because there are no streetcars? Oh wait ...

Spider, do you ever consider putting yourself in other people's shoes? A lot of your posts do seem to be dedicated to whether or not you personally benefit from something.

The short answer is no, never, not enough time on this earth to for this to happen.

Yes and it is a Metrolinx initiative. City council keeps bringing up these bad aid solutions like baning cars when the obvious and ideal solution is right in front of them. The oly reason council EVER began discussing the potential DRL is when the Yonge line extension came up and tying the extension to completio of the DRL.

I just wish they would put as much effort into plaing the DRL as they are I proposing the ban on cars in this corridor.

Woodbridge:

DRL cost X billions (of which we already have a preliminary discussion on the funding sources, and we all know how that one went) and has a planning horizon of years. Banning cars on this corridors has a fraction of that indirect cost and can be implemented more or less immediately. One doesn't negate the need for the other, even if you have a commitment for DRL.

BTW, as late as the city is in the DRL game, the TTC DRTES study did predate serious consideration by Metrolinx.

AoD

Last edited:
Maybe you can have a streetcar ROW on both King and Queen if you convert them to one-way for cars and move the tracks to the side;

Queen
Code:
<<< Auto/P <<<
<<<< Auto <<<<
<<<< Rail <<<<
>>>> Rail >>>>

King
Code:
<<<< Rail <<<<
>>>> Rail >>>>
>>>> Auto >>>>
>>> Auto/P >>>

Originally Posted by CDL.TO
Reply from jje1000
The short answer is no, never, not enough time on this earth to for this to happen.

Are you reading my mail?

Perhaps a tad OT.

I am so happy that there weren't any streetcars for you to block. It would be most unfortunate if your 2 passenger vehicle were to block a streetcar with 50 or 100 people on it.

Back