News   Apr 18, 2024
 372     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I'm sure this has been posted in one of the threads recently:

Yes, the TPS seem pretty incapable of doing even simple things like issuing parking tickets (or checking for obscured licence plates, as noted above). This might be acceptable if they were not, by far, our most expensive service and they seem incapable of solving murders (the Shermans, the Bruce McArthur victims), the mother of Tess Richey found her body after the police missed it and, just this week, the huge drug case collapsed due to police inactions and stupidity. See: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...d-amid-allegations-officers-misled-court.html

I am not in favour of 'defunding the police' in general but would certainly not give them MORE money without MUCH better results and would support some 'police funds' being moved to dealing with social issues - which the police are NOT trained for.

To be honest, even parking enforcement is pretty lax these days. On the few occasions I drive I sometimes forget to pay because I'm trying to hustle a three year old out of my car to some destination and I've gotten one ticket in the last few years. I would say it's somewhat at the point where never paying for parking and just accepting the occasional ticket probably makes financial sense (though I'm a law abiding citizen and think parking should be way more expensive, so try to remember to pay).
Downtown? I see so many officers wandering around. Well, I'm not down there as much post-Covid - but I used to see the one guy out there on Front so frequently, that I should have invited him to the office parties.

Downtown? I see so many officers wandering around. Well, I'm not down there as much post-Covid - but I used to see the one guy out there on Front so frequently, that I should have invited him to the office parties.
Yes, Parking Officer England, who dealt with Front East for many years was everywhere and ran a very tight ship! He retired at or before covid and there are now VERY few POs around and even barely give tickets to the MANY illegal parkers at the McDonalds at George & Front - which used to be a parking goldmine!

Yes, Parking Officer England, who dealt with Front East for many years was everywhere and ran a very tight ship! He retired at or before covid and there are now VERY few POs around and even barely give tickets to the MANY illegal parkers at the McDonalds at George & Front - which used to be a parking goldmine!
Hmm. How about that ...

I think I've got a picture of him somewhere - I've certainly seen him at George & Front; though not further east than Jarvis.

Hmm. How about that ...

I think I've got a picture of him somewhere - I've certainly seen him at George & Front; though not further east than Jarvis.
His beat seemed to go right east to Parliament and I never saw him west of Church. He looked like a military guy and was actually very friendly once he got to know you. I think POs are trained not to make eye contact or show emotion!

I'm downtown a lot, but if I'm driving, it's usually because I have to go out to places like Leslieville (music class) or Little Italy (swim class), and parking enforcement in those places is pretty lax.

Toronto always struck me as being particularly good at parking enforcement - it always seemed like if you left your car parked for more than 15 minutes downtown unpaid or in the wrong spot you'd end up with a ticket.

Perhaps that's declined a small amount, but I still see parking enforcement out and about regularly. I was dodging one last weekend while my wife was grabbing coffee and I was trying to find somewhere to stop along Queen West. They are definitely still about.

Yeah, I don't understand Toronto's continued objection to pedestrian streets with streetcar tracks. Lots of cities do that and it works just fine. But the TTC won't even run a streetcar on King during the film festival because they can't mix with pedestrians.
How permanent would it be? If you make it more than once a week for a few hours you'd run into legal issues

Back