News   Apr 16, 2024
 628     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 453     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 818     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

In the article above, Tory is very 'status quo' on the airport
Tory is a classic “lead from the rear” politician. He sees where public opinion is, and makes nice noises on the topic at hand (Have you heard him speak? He makes James Joyce sound concise and clear in comparison) with minimal followthrough.

I've been wondering about setting up the signals so that they sit in red during the east-west phase, until a streetcar/bus is detected (about 14 seconds away). That way you could use red light cameras to automatically ticket the people who drive straight through. Last I checked, Ontario doesn't permit automatic enforcement for movement restrictions (e.g. no straight through), but they do obviously permit red light cameras.
Cameras ticketing anyone who stops in the intersection. People would learn very quickly.
If they're stuck in the intersection and their light turns red certainly you could automatically ticket them?

If they're stuck in the intersection and their light turns red certainly you could automatically ticket them?
We could. A car is not allowed to proceed into an intersection before it can clear the intersection. I know that this rule isn't followed much in Toronto, especially at intersections along Spadina, like King, Adelaide and Front, which often backs up the cross street at every light cycle.

Last edited:
Do you live downtown? Rush hour is nearly perpetual here.
If one lives downtown, there is no need to drive an automobile. The rush hour congestion is caused by the single-occupant automobiles from the 905, even though they can get downtown by TTC, the GO Trains, or even UPX.

Most new buildings include underground parking for tenants, visitors, delivery, and contractors.
Visitor parking for new buildings downtown? That's rare I think, most visitors have to use Green P or street parking; heck for my office building visitors would need some kind of card to open the door. And deliveries all come through the front door, not the loading bay (despite the signs ... though I have no idea how they'd get the loading bay to open). Lots of contractors park on the street as well - unless they are looking for "free parking" in the loading bay.

We could. A car is not allowed to proceed into an intersection before it can clear the intersection. I know that this rule isn't followed much in Toronto, especially at intersections along Spadina, like King, Adelaide and Front, which often backs up the cross street at every light cycle.
Jarvis is particularly bad. A little enforcement would go a long way.

Oddly, I saw my wife get stuck in an intersection for the first time ever yesterday. She carefully proceeded through the green (as did the car before here) because there was a good space left. But after she'd entered the intersection, a car sat on red, did a very quick right, jamming up the road space ... and leaving her blocking the traffic.

I think automatic cameras would help, but I don't know what would happen in a case like that where a different vehicle was the root cause.

Back