News   Apr 24, 2024
 948     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 618     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

With alternating one ways, there would be no green light ahead because no car would ever be allowed straight since it’s the wrong way. There’d never be a green.

There would be a green light, because cars turning right would have to yield to pedestrians, and a green arrow means that pedestrians must yield to cars.

The alternating loops proposal also makes the streetcar lanes exclusive to streetcars so because they wouldn’t need to accomodate cars, they could be made separate and hostile to cars with humps and/or flexiposts creating a narrow corridor. There wouldn’t be any opportunity to merge into the streetcar lane.

You're wrong about this too. Cars would be driving in the streetcar lane, and just like right now, the curb lane would be for streetcar boarding, pickups and dropoffs. When cars get to the intersection they'd have no problem going through, because they would get a green light and the streetcar lane would be wide enough for a car to comfortably drive in it - streetcars are much wider than cars; even a Humvee is a foot and a half narrower than one.

Then the pedestrian light needs to also be in sync, or, drivers need to be made aware of that situation and what to do.

The pedestrian light can't be extended because it's not a fixed extension. The light goes to yellow as soon as the streetcar enters the intersection. If a streetcar is waiting it's probably to avoid bunching, since every streetcar operator obviously knows about the signal priority measures.

I'm happy to report that the King Street Pilot penalties for non-compliance are a successful deterrent for disobeying the KSP rules, at least for my uncle, who is currently complaining about the KSP at our Christmas party. He's particularly annoyed that the penalty for not obeying the KSP rules includes fines, in addition to demerit points, which means that he cannot violate the KSP rules with impunity just because he can afford to pay the tickets. It's working! :) Once (if) the City gets approval to use electronic enforcement of the KSP rules, compliance should hopefully become a significantly smaller issue.

He's also vowed never to vote again because of the KSP, which I'm fine with (Ford was a crackhead, and Tory screwed him over with KSP and Bloor bike lanes)

He went on to tell a story about how the Bloor Steet bike lanes once added 45 mins to his trip. I was actually in the car when this happened, so I can verify its a true story, although I suspect the delay was due to construction or a collision and not due to the bike lanes. That was the one and only time I've seen traffic move so slow on Bloor.

Last edited:
I'm happy to report that the King Street Pilot penalties for non-compliance are a successful deterrent for disobeying the KSP rules, at least for my uncle, who is currently complaining about the KSP at our Christmas party. He's particularly annoyed that the penalty for not obeying the KSP rules includes fines, in addition to demerit points, which means that he cannot violate the KSP rules with impunity just because he can afford to pay the tickets. It's working! :) Once (if) the City gets approval to use electronic enforcement of the KSP rules, compliance should hopefully become a significantly smaller issue.

He's also vowed never to vote again because of the KSP, which I'm fine with (Ford was a crackhead, and Tory screwed him over with KSP and Bloor bike lanes)

He went on to tell a story about how the Bloor Steet bike lanes once added 45 mins to his trip. I was actually in the car when this happened, so I can verify its a true story, although I suspect the delay was due to construction or a collision and not due to the bike lanes. That was the one and only time I've seen traffic move so slow on Bloor.

I bet he is one of those people that drive expensive German cars that do not seem to have turn signals.....

In spite of all the doom and gloom elsewhere, the Mirvish Theatres web site has an awfully cheerful explanation of how easy it is to get to the theatre under the new pilot. I wonder how many other businesses on King have bothered to communicate in this way. So much easier to just complain.

- Paul

PS - I checked. Fred's web page says nothing about the pilot.

I know how to get around the KSP rules so ask your uncle to give me a call. So far no fines. :p

In spite of all the doom and gloom elsewhere, the Mirvish Theatres web site has an awfully cheerful explanation of how easy it is to get to the theatre under the new pilot. I wonder how many other businesses on King have bothered to communicate in this way. So much easier to just complain.

- Paul

PS - I checked. Fred's web page says nothing about the pilot.
Typical; always easier to whine! Kit Kat is the same.

I bet he is one of those people that drive expensive German cars that do not seem to have turn signals.....
Interesting how that jump was made.

Disagreements do not have to be accompanied by imaginary fault finding for justification and superiority.

Those who stay cool with people they disagree with are very refreshing and agreeable.

Hear hear @Aldebaran. I've come across shitty drivers in all manner of cars, and mostly inexpensive ones at that, in absolute terms at least.

If you're driving on Bloor Street, there's a problem...There's a freaking subway on that road for a reason.

My recent trips have been great with the recent changes.

I hope they can figure out a solution to the business difficulties.

I am f*cking laughing on the floor reading this. The irony is perfect.

Interesting how that jump was made.

Disagreements do not have to be accompanied by imaginary fault finding for justification and superiority.

Those who stay cool with people they disagree with are very refreshing and agreeable.

... now where did I put that sarcasm button?

The problem with local businesses was a forgone conclusion........from their perspective it's all stick and no carrot. Due to this being a trial they get the stick of less parking and fewer cars but don't get the carrot of wider sidewalks and a more pleasant and inviting public realm.

. It's working! :) Once (if) the City gets approval to use electronic enforcement of the KSP rules, compliance should hopefully become a significantly smaller issue.

Where was it it said that this is likely to happen as you're alluding to? Is this to be similar to the red light cameras?

On another note, talking to my sister who lives near King and Jarvis, she said that having the stops after the lights is a huge detriment. Often, the first street car takes so long to load, unload, there is a back up of streetcars that are stuck behind the light. And they can and will not anybody off. So you could be waiting a few traffic light cycles just to get off adding to the total commute times. Anybody transferring from Queen as well has to also walk very far adding to the inconvenience

Back