News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.3K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

I finally got the front seat on one of the new streetcars so I could film a streetcar driver's view of the King Transit Pilot

Note at 9:50 how the 'public realm' items force cyclists into the streetcar lane, thereby reducing the streetcar to <20 km/h as it gets stuck behind cyclists. The design creates all those delays to streetcars just to have an extra half a metre of patio space.

Note at 9:50 how the 'public realm' items force cyclists into the streetcar lane, thereby reducing the streetcar to <20 km/h as it gets stuck behind cyclists. The design creates all those delays to streetcars just to have an extra half a metre of patio space.
It's absolutely ridiculous. Not that the City has accorded too much space for patios, the more it becomes a *Transit Mall* the better! But the City *encourages* cyclists to put themselves at incredible risk in this and many other cases, oblivious to the dangers.

True story, I was down King yesterday for my fair share of Lee Valley Tools, and since I was coming up from Onion Station, cycled across King to 'see how much flagrant disregard there is by drivers'. Well over half the cars either turned left or continued through in complete disobeyance of the posted signs. And then the snarky fixed gear 'delivery boy' (I use the term with disdain) tried to pull in front of me as the King car came to a stop to pass it with the lights flashing! I lost it with the little fug. So he had the temerity to claim: "I'm faster than you, so I was pulling in front of the open doors". So I stomped on the pedals with the breaks on, and the front wheel pulled an erection. He took the bait, tried to fly past the streetcar as it was pulling away, and got caught between the overhanging planters and the streetcar.

He recovered from what could have been a very nasty accident. It's a matter of time until he and/or others don't. My point was made. It's time for the City to start making some. The "transit mall" is a sad joke.

Does any have the vote for the start of the pilot ? Wondering on how that would break down with a 25 member council.

Does any have the vote for the start of the pilot ? Wondering on how that would break down with a 25 member council.
Votes are all on www under Council Minutes:
king-pilot.JPG

Attachments

• king-pilot.JPG
    king-pilot.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 669
remember as well that a 25 member council won't necessarily be less progressive - there will be both fewer downtown Councillors as well as fewer suburban Councillors.

Downtown actually won't lose many council seats - it will go from 4 to 3 seats. The former city of Toronto area will go from roughly 15 seats to 10 seats, while Scarborough will go from 10 to 6 seats, and Etobicoke from 6 to 3 seats.

If anything, suburban Councillor's influence will continue to wane, just as under the 47 seat proposal. Just not as dramatically as under the 47 ward model, which placed almost all of the growth council seats downtown.

remember as well that a 25 member council won't necessarily be less progressive - there will be both fewer downtown Councillors as well as fewer suburban Councillors.

Downtown actually won't lose many council seats - it will go from 4 to 3 seats. The former city of Toronto area will go from roughly 15 seats to 10 seats, while Scarborough will go from 10 to 6 seats, and Etobicoke from 6 to 3 seats.

If anything, suburban Councillor's influence will continue to wane, just as under the 47 seat proposal. Just not as dramatically as under the 47 ward model, which placed almost all of the growth council seats downtown.

And if Mammoliti remains after October, it will mean only 2 seats at council, based on his attendance record.

And if Mammoliti remains after October, it will mean only 2 seats at council, based on his attendance record.
He will be running against Michael Ford - I would be surprised if he wins to be honest.

Karygiannis will be running against Norm Kelley - again, I would be surprised if Karygiannis wins.

The one nice thing about the 25 ward structure is that it will likely eliminate the craziest of the councillors.

He will be running against Michael Ford - I would be surprised if he wins to be honest.

Karygiannis will be running against Norm Kelley - again, I would be surprised if Karygiannis wins.

The one nice thing about the 25 ward structure is that it will likely eliminate the craziest of the councillors.

Maybe have another "Ford" run against "Michael Ford", since the voters in the old ward seem fixated on name recognition.

Hmm really? Michael Ford represented ward 2 this term - I presumed he would have run in the new ward that combines his old ward and Mammoliti's.

Hmm really? Michael Ford represented ward 2 this term - I presumed he would have run in the new ward that combines his old ward and Mammoliti's.
There is no new ward, nor is there likely to be one, as it's very unlikely that the courts would stop the 47-ward election.

However Michael Stirpe is running in Ward 2. When Ward 2 is combined with Crisanti's Ward 1, it's very similar to the provincial Etobicoke North.

In the unlikely event, the courts support the 25 Ward system, Crisanti and Stirpe would be in the same ward.

Mammoliti's ward (7) is to the east of Ward 1 and Ward 2. It is entirely in the Humber River—Black Creek riding, along with most of Ward 8 west of Keele and part of Ward 9. Mammoliti would likely be running against Anthony Perruzza.
8f5a-2018-01-22-OMB-Approved-47-Ward-TWBBI-267-2017-Map.png

Humber_River-Black_Creek_Elections_Canada_map_35121_%282015_boundaries%29.gif

ooh jeez - I forgot Mammolitti was Ward 7. I always thought he was Ward 1 for some reason - probably because he lives in Brampton and I presumed he represented the closest ward to his house.

Back