News   Apr 26, 2024
 79     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

How many times did cars block the intersection? This drives me nuts because it's so easily avoidable. Part of it is stupid drivers, but they need to pay for that stupidity.

I wish the city would just install cameras at every intersection and slap every one of these drivers with a ticket for their stupidity. When cops don't want to enforce, what else are we supposed to do?

I know breaking the law is unacceptable, but I just want to mention one thing. Assuming you're not informed about the King Street Pilot, if you're at an intersection a a red light and there's a streetcar in front of you. Since streetcars are pretty tall and you'd likely be driving very close to the streetcar, you wouldn't be able to see the no going straight signs until you're already halfway through the intersection.

So a small problem is not being able to see the signs. Maybe adding more no going straight signs should be added a bit farther away from the intersection, so that if you're tailgating a streetcar, you would be able to see it before it's too late. Maybe hanging next to/above the wires.
The same excuse could be used for running down pedestrians and cyclists. I see the same people day after day making illegal left hand turns at Dundas West and Bloor, the traffic behind them honking. If they're that fugging stupid, then they shouldn't have a licence.

If you can't read the signs intersection after intersection, then get off the road.

I wish the city would just install cameras at every intersection and slap every one of these drivers with a ticket for their stupidity. When cops don't want to enforce, what else are we supposed to do?
The power to do that is in the Highway Traffic Act
[...]
PART XVI
PILOT PROJECTS

Pilot projects
228 (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may by regulation authorize or establish a project for research into or the testing or evaluation of any matter governed by this Act or relevant to highway traffic. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 33 (1).
[...]
Regulation to create own scheme of rules
(4) A regulation made under this section may regulate the doing of anything or the use of any thing or prohibit the doing of anything or the using of any thing. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 33 (1).
[...]
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08

The Mayor has applied under this Act and the Police Services Act for special powers for traffic wardens. To the best of my knowledge, nothing else has been asked for by the City.

God only knows why not? That window will now be closed with Thug being Premier.

Too bad you could not be drinking a glass of wine, but maybe one day....
"One day" is actually today. The law was changed a year or so ago so that restaurants and bars can now serve alcohol on patios that are not immediately adjacent to their businesses. The City has been working VERY SLOWLY on updating their patio regulations to allow for this and they are apparently encouraging the King Street patio businesses to move their patios to the curb lanes..

"One day" is actually today. The law was changed a year or so ago so that restaurants and bars can now serve alcohol on patios that are not immediately adjacent to their businesses. The City has been working VERY SLOWLY on updating their patio regulations to allow for this and they are apparently encouraging the King Street patio businesses to move their patios to the curb lanes..
I know the curb lane patios are temporary for now, but wouldn't it make sense to have the patios in the area where the sidewalks are now, and to move the sidewalk to the curb lane? It would prevent a lot of people movement conflicts and in the chance a car goes out of control and drives toward the curb, crashing into people that are walking is better than people that are sitting down, not able to evade a crash.

I know the curb lane patios are temporary for now, but wouldn't it make sense to have the patios in the area where the sidewalks are now, and to move the sidewalk to the curb lane? It would prevent a lot of people movement conflicts and in the chance a car goes out of control and drives toward the curb, crashing into people that are walking is better than people that are sitting down, not able to evade a crash.
If (or when?) the KSP becomes permanent this might make sense as the sidewalks will be much wider so there can be patios beside the buildings and a wider and clearer throughway for pedestrians and wheelchairs nearer the curb.

Run around with nail strips. :)

Back