News   Apr 26, 2024
 452     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 667     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

shouldn't the issue be we're reducing the speed of streetcars to that of bicycles?
For a few feet approaching a stop perhaps.

You can see standing on King Street can see that streetcars are not running that slow. I'm unsure of the motive to make an issue out of something so banal.

Took the 504 last night. Between Yonge and Bathurst, saw four cars parked in passenger boarding areas and had to be nimble when alighting because an SUV tried to blow past the streetcar after the doors were open. No sign of enforcement.

It looks like someone went to Home Depot for garden supplies and just left it all on the side of the road. :p
I walked along most of the stretch yesterday to see if and where most of the crowds would be along there. Much of it was beyond Mickey Mouse. The yellow milk crate things didn't have even one person sitting on them, let alone spitting in their general direction. Meantime, all the Muskoka chairs were used near the Metro Hall. Gosh, I wonder why? Those milk crates and flat plywood look so incredibly inviting and comfortable. Not...

And the street still looks filthy, even after all the spring rain to wash the grunge away. You gotta love the Detroit Modern look of it all.

But no inexperienced cyclists would use that space when there are massive streetcars running right next to them.
Or this highly experienced one. An incredible number of cyclists have absolutely no sense of safe route selection, let alone the limits of their own skill and circumstance when it comes to safety. I see it time and again and think "idiot, you're going to get hit sooner or later". And cycling a tightrope a foot wide between street furniture and streetcars, or just the tracks alone, means it's a matter of time until someone loses a leg or worse.

The City really hasn't helped the situation by encouraging cyclists to use the King Pilot stretch. Tracks can be negotiated, even with skinny tires if the angle of approach is sufficient. A foot clearance is nowhere near sufficient. And then there's pedestrians complicating the issue further. But hey, many Torontonians think the Pilot is the best thing since sliced legs....

Is it any wonder that pedestrian and cyclist accidents are so high in Toronto?

I watched today; the streetcars were simply hanging back behind the bikes, and not trying to overtake.
How exactly does a streetcar overtake a bike?

im really supportive of bike lanes for the most part. but please can we treat cyclists as motorists on king. the problem with king was the cars turning left delaying an entire streetcar behind it. well now we have the problem of a single cyclist delaying an entire streetcar that is unable to pass, on a vehicle that is even slower than a car. ban through biking on king put the lane on wellington and have cyclists use richmond and adelaide. I wouldnt mind bike lanes on king away from the streetcar tracks but id prefer for it to be used for extended sidewalks, which was the original intent of the pilot.
The central section of the Bourke Street Transit Mall does exactly that, bans cyclists. Most transit malls do, and the necessity to marshall pedestrian flow to cross only at marked and signalled crossings is found necessary for most.

Cyclists can and should *walk* their bikes through crowded transit malls. King Street just doesn't have the space for cycle lanes. Anyone claiming otherwise just isn't thinking through the dynamics of traffic flow and the paltry space there to handle it. As it is, the sidewalks are not wide enough in many spots, and then loading for streetcars means even less ability for a safe loading and unloading of streetcars. It would help if cyclists would obey the law for open doors on streetcars, but alas....many cyclists haven't even the most basic understanding of others and the necessity of awareness on the roads, let alone on bike lanes/paths.

The Bourke Street Mall has bicycle parking spaces in the core section, but you must walk your bike to them. It's called "safety for pedestrians"...a concept alien to some cyclists.

Why can't Toronto test fitting rails with rubber inserts?
For straight stretches of rail on King, if the City insists on encouraging cyclists to use it, that insert should be mandatory. But it does entail cost as you state, and digging up the tracks to do it. Even if it happened, which it won't, the wyes at intersections are still very dangerous for many cyclists. I'm a very experienced cyclist, perhaps too much so, as I avoid going through intersections with wyes unless there's sufficient space to angle across the tracks, and either use the next intersection along, or dismount and cross ensuring an almost right angle to cross. I've seen far too many people go down on tracks, It's been decades since it's happened to me. It is one of the major causes of bike spills in Toronto.

Streetcar Tracks Cause a Huge Number of Bike Crashes in Toronto
  1. JOHN METCALFE
JUL 27, 2016
The rails are to blame for one-third of incidents requiring emergency-room care.

https://www.citylab.com/transportat...acks-bicycle-crashes-research-toronto/493157/

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand. King Streetcar just crawled along Eastbound last night during rush hour. Traffic again due to traffic north/south blocking the intersection. Why is this even happening? I had stated that this was the biggest reason why we had so much traffic on King.

I really don't understand. King Streetcar just crawled along Eastbound last night during rush hour. Traffic again due to traffic north/south blocking the intersection. Why is this even happening? I had stated that this was the biggest reason why we had so much traffic on King.

Red light cameras would really help prevent blocked intersections.

My understanding is that the plans for King St. do not and will not include bike lanes because of the proximity of Richmond and Adelaide. Personally, I think every road should have protected bike lanes, because cyclists should be able to take the most direct route the same as other traffic, but the planners that be don't agree.
There's also a reasonable chance of an east-west (contra-flow) bike lane on Front/Wellington too.

Why? Because this city is broken. Blocked intersections are a regular feature of life in this city. Get used to it.

There was a week of “traffic wardens” deployed to enforce intersection clearing but once they are gone, idiotic drivers in this city immediately went back to their old ways.

And at City hall, nobody cares.

Why? Because this city is broken. Blocked intersections are a regular feature of life in this city. Get used to it.

There was a week of “traffic wardens” deployed to enforce intersection clearing but once they are gone, idiotic drivers in this city immediately went back to their old ways.

Yup. Toronto is not serious when it comes to progressive thinking.

Yup. Toronto is not serious when it comes to progressive thinking.
And as I Google for "John Tory traffic wardens" I get:
Proposed budget includes funding to hire 16 traffic wardens | CP24.com
https://www.cp24.com/.../proposed-budget-includes-funding-to-hire-16-traffic-wardens-...
Feb 6, 2018 - Mayor John Tory speaks with reporters at Bay and Queen streets on ... Tory said that thetraffic wardens being hired in 2018 will be civilian ...
Traffic wardens and photo radar technology coming to Toronto's major ...
www.cbc.ca/.../traffic-wardens-and-photo-radar-technology-coming-to-toronto-s-maj...
May 1, 2018 - Mayor John Tory announced a series of new measures Tuesday aimed at increasing street safety and improving the flow of traffic on Toronto's ...
Traffic wardens coming to Toronto streets in 2018 | The Star
https://www.thestar.com › News › GTA
Sep 18, 2017 - Torontonians will finally see full-time traffic wardens on city streets in early 2018, MayorJohn Tory announced Monday as part of his continuing ...
Toronto's proposed budget includes $9M for initiatives aimed at ...
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-s-proposed-budget-includes-9m-for-initiatives-aimed-...
Feb 6, 2018 - Mayor announces new measures to curb traffic congestion in Toronto ... Tory said that the traffic wardens being hired in 2018 will be civilian ...
Mayor Tory wants special constable status for Toronto's new traffic ...
https://globalnews.ca/news/3760496/special-constable-status-traffic-wardens/
Sep 21, 2017 - Toronto Mayor John Tory is asking for the Toronto Police Services Board to approve a move that will allow the city's new traffic wardens to gain ...

Police board passes Mayor Tory's plan for civilian traffic wardens ...
toronto.citynews.ca/.../police-board-passes-mayor-torys-plan-civilian-traffic-wardens/
Police board passes Mayor Tory's plan for civilian traffic wardens. by News Staff. Posted Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm EDT. Last Updated Sep 21, 2017 at 3:59 pm EDT.
City spending $9 million to fight traffic in Toronto this year | Daily Hive ...
dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-john-tory-traffic-budget-2018
Feb 6, 2018 - John Tory continues to focus on traffic initiatives, as the City looks at the 2018 ... Tory introduced the idea of traffic wardens in the fall of 2017.
WATCH: Toronto closer to getting photo radar and traffic wardens
www.iheartradio.ca/.../watch-toronto-closer-to-getting-photo-radar-and-traffic-warden...
WATCH: Toronto closer to getting photo radar and traffic wardens ... Mayor John Tory says if approved, there will be a pilot project this summer using the ...
Traffic wardens coming to ease Toronto gridlock: Tory | Toronto Sun
torontosun.com/.../traffic-wardens...tory/.../42ed3238-abd0-42a0-bbf7-2aa251b28f96
Sep 18, 2017 - Mayor John Tory says a city as big as Toronto can't afford to have thousands of ... The city plans to move ahead with full-time traffic wardens ...
[...and on and on and on....]
Where are they?

Picked up a Lyft at King and Portland last night, need to go north on University. Instead of going east on Adelaide, my driver went straight along King breaking every King St pilot rule. Nearly every other car did the same. No enforcement in sight. On a positive note, King was absolutely hopping. None of the curb side patios were in use, however, which seemed odd on such a warm night.

Picked up a Lyft at King and Portland last night, need to go north on University. Instead of going east on Adelaide, my driver went straight along King breaking every King St pilot rule. Nearly every other car did the same. No enforcement in sight. On a positive note, King was absolutely hopping. None of the curb side patios were in use, however, which seemed odd on such a warm night.
One word: "Impunity"

Oh I know. This city fails at the most basic things.

That comment is both dramatic and ridiculous. If one is saying that we should do better, I agree. I don’t envy the public sector. The competing views and demands are many, and the freedom to make decisions sometimes limited. Some of you hold them to high account. It is hard to have many masters and all of us should not lose sight of that.

That comment is both dramatic and ridiculous. If one is saying that we should do better, I agree. I don’t envy the public sector. The competing views and demands are many, and the freedom to make decisions sometimes limited. Some of you hold them to high account. It is hard to have many masters and all of us should not lose sight of that.

When it comes to transit there is fail all over the board in this city. This pilot is just another example of that. I constantly see cars breaking the rules and zero enforcement. I see cars stuck in intersections constantly. My travel time has increased a slightly. So what was the point of this whole pilot again?

Back