News   May 06, 2024
 186     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 680     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.3K     1 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

I am confused, are the photos from August 6? If they are from today I must say that VERY little progress has been made.
Shot them on the 6th and only finished them today. Still have 1500 in my back log

This gives a good view of the old dip area that is now level and a speed zone
53143567063_68757693d4_b.jpg

Soil and plants have been added to the planters on Roncesvalles. Benches have been installed as well-- the quality of the work is disappointing to say the least.

IMG_6080.jpg
IMG_6081.jpg
IMG_6084.jpg

The ends are all cut unevenly and the screws are jutting up above the seating surface. The recycled plastic material kind of make it seem like it's covered in bird poop at first glance. And I'm sure people will be clamouring to sit right next to the garbage can. What a joke.

IMG_6083.jpg
IMG_6086.jpg
IMG_6087.jpg

Soil and plants have been added to the planters on Roncesvalles. Benches have been installed as well-- the quality of the work is disappointing to say the least.

View attachment 505103View attachment 505104View attachment 505105

The ends are all cut unevenly and the screws are jutting up above the seating surface. The recycled plastic material kind of make it seem like it's covered in bird poop at first glance. And I'm sure people will be clamouring to sit right next to the garbage can. What a joke.

View attachment 505106View attachment 505107View attachment 505111
Is that car parked in the bike lane?

View attachment 505103View attachment 505104View attachment 505105

View attachment 505106View attachment 505107View attachment 505111

@#$!#$@ This makes me mad. They deliver a project more than 12 months late and still make a hash of the details.

On the Garbage Can; please message Councillor Perks and attach the photo and ask for the can to be relocated to a better spot close by. Maybe, you should pick that spot for them and send the photo, lest we end up having to move it twice.

You need to clearly spell out the error here, its not merely that smell, though that too for sure, its that the bench is almost inaccessible for the closeness of the waste receptacle.

Pfft.

On the bench.....the polite word is sloppy...................but I don't understand screwing it from the top, unless the bench came to site fully assembled except for the bracing.

But if it was pre-fab, it should been attached to the bracing in advance anyway........that's not how to do this.

When putting down slats, for a bench, as with decking, if you have a choice, you hide the screws. There are a few ways to do this, depending on the design/assembly.

1) Screw the slats to the bracing on an angle, between the slats.

2) Screw the bracing to the slats from underneath, if you do this, you still need to attach the bracing/last slats to the concrete and those screws will be visible.

Even then, you can hide them by recessing them slightly and using a matching woodgrain covering piece, or contrast them with a small button.

Gah, there are videos all over the internet that show how to do this...........what is this, 1980?

On the plants, hopefully they'll be ok, they're very small at this point, likely late-season, first-year plants that didn't sell in the spring.

I'm not sure that fulfills the obligation in the contract; put simply, If that were my project, I wouldn't have accepted delivery of that. If you can't get full sized plants til spring, that's fine, just cover the soil with a coat of heavy pine bark mulch and water it down, it will actually improve the soil by the time you're ready to plant.

Last edited:
Its disappointing that they didn't design that as an elevated bike lane or add any separation. It's occupied with vehicles almost everytime I go by there.

Important to say here, there are no bike lanes on Roncy. None.

What there are, is provision for cyclists to be level w/the sidewalk at streetcar boarding platforms.

Which they did build in here:

1694285919659.png

Streetview - July '23.

If you go just to the north you can see the Roncy layout:

1694285995123.png

There is certainly an argument to put cycle tracks on Roncy, but you would have to remove all the parking. The BIA might tolerate it cut from one side, but it would likely be quite the battle to remove it entirely.

Re Removal of on street parking for bike lanes. In this instance would the removal of one side of the of street parking be enough width to provide for separated bike lanes. If so, then this should be a slam dunk decision…….and why not other areas as well, I think excluding residential permit parking. (I may be influenced by the fact I am in Montreal again for a week or so, and took the day off to do some further exploring. The amount of pedestrian and bike traffic far exceeds car traffic, and moving around is far more pedestrian friendly)

Re Removal of on street parking for bike lanes. In this instance would the removal of one side of the of street parking be enough width to provide for separated bike lanes. If so, then this should be a slam dunk decision…….and why not other areas as well, I think excluding residential permit parking. (I may be influenced by the fact I am in Montreal again for a week or so, and took the day off to do some further exploring. The amount of pedestrian and bike traffic far exceeds car traffic, and moving around is far more pedestrian friendly)

The parking and any non-streetcar track travel lanes would have to be removed, but yes, its feasible on that basis. The protection would likely have to drop at any intersection where a left-hand turn lane is required.

This would mean additional cars over the streetcar track impeding service at some points on the route, in peak periods.

1694288466564.png

Legal parking except in morning rush hour, when parking is prohibited and this becomes a vehicle lane.

If there are no loading zones without blocking the tracks, that could be an issue as well.

Important to say here, there are no bike lanes on Roncy. None.

What there are, is provision for cyclists to be level w/the sidewalk at streetcar boarding platforms.

Which they did build in here:

View attachment 505286

Streetview - July '23.

If you go just to the north you can see the Roncy layout:

View attachment 505287

There is certainly an argument to put cycle tracks on Roncy, but you would have to remove all the parking. The BIA might tolerate it cut from one side, but it would likely be quite the battle to remove it entirely.
Whoa there...not interested in tearing up all of Roncesvalles!

My recollection is that parking is prohibited south of that transit stop to KQQR. Vehicles seem to keep parking here, unlike in other parts to the north because the lane seems to have been built too wide. A better thought out design here should provide a similar experience to the street to the north as this part was left out of the initial construction over 10 years ago.

The parking and any non-streetcar track travel lanes would have to be removed, but yes, its feasible on that basis. The protection would likely have to drop at any intersection where a left-hand turn lane is required.

This would mean additional cars over the streetcar track impeding service at some points on the route, in peak periods.

View attachment 505291

Legal parking except in morning rush hour, when parking is prohibited and this becomes a vehicle lane.

If there are no loading zones without blocking the tracks, that could be an issue as well.
Ok. So problems with that concept. Pushing further traffic onto the street car lines is not a gain. Further study required. Thanks.

Whoa there...not interested in tearing up all of Roncesvalles!

LOL, I didn't say I was either.

I was asked it if was feasible to allow for cycle tracks, and I provided an explanation of 'yes, but'.

My impression of the BIA is that they are too bone-headed to realize that many of their customers come by bike

My impression of the BIA is that they are too bone-headed to realize that many of their customers come by bike

I give them more credit than that.

The issue is not that the Roncesvalles business district will lose all its customers if parking is restricted - they won't.

Parking is already fairly limited, certainly in comparison to say Bloor which has off-street Green P lots. As you note, some come by bicycles, more come by transit, and a great many more walk.... Roncy has great placement within the surrounding residential streets.

I don't have an objective standard for the "right" amount of parking, but I can understand if the businesses were to express concern about halving the amount of parking, especially when the sidestreets are pretty full and don't offer an opportunity to park there. If nothing else, loss of parking on one or both sides of Roncy would affect deliveries.

Without saying they would be right or wrong, it's a fair thing to debate and I agree with @Northern Light's comment that it would be very controversial. And quite possibly counter productive.

- Paul

It was a tough fight to get the bump out platform as it was removing parking spots as well the ramp area.

Take a walk down Roncesvalles at 6:30 am on a Sat and Sunday to see how many vehicles are park that by residents. To remove a side of a street for bike lanes will be an all out war by the locals as well the local councilor.

Back