King East Condos (Lamb Development, Hyde Park, Sher Corp ) - Real Estate -

...to prevent fires from spreading.

Yeah, but it's unusual for a condo like this to have sidewall-type sprinklers. Most office buildings and condos are fully sprinklered, which wouldn't let a fire get to a size that would require a waterwall.

(I'm no expert; this is what I've been told by a friend who inspects fire systems and another guy who is a sprinkler contractor.)

Some units at King East do not have them..

8570574312_de50e4d3ec_c.jpg

I wonder if I can have the sprinkler removed?

I noticed that as well, but in the picture above there is a balcony outside the window. Balconies prevent fires from spreading, so a waterwall isn't necessary there. I think you'll find sprinklers mostly along window walls without balconies.

Also, maybe you've already seen this, but if you search flickr for user "Stirling Home Studio", you'll find photos by the stager that was used for all the suites Lamb's trying to sell. Fun way to see a lot of different layouts in the building (and others).

I'm quite certain that sprinklers are not required in residential high rises in Ontario, but are required for commercial. That said, I doubt this development would have them in certain places unless it were a requirement, so I'm curious if that's the case here, and if this is a building code change or some other requirement related to the site?

From my understanding sprinklers are required when there is not a balcony in the unit. Sprinklers are not necessary when you have a balcony

It actually doesn't say that I can see. It says that sprinkler systems are required on all floors of the building -- it doesn't state where they need to be located. I'm checking with someone who works in the industry for clarification

I have 2 balconies, one in each bedroom. There are sprinklers facing the glass where there is no balcony. The living room is just glass with no balcony and there are sprinklers facing that glass as well. The reason for this is that concrete balconies are fire resistant. This is why all condo corporations always have by-laws enforcing clutter-free balconies -- clutter = combustible material that will allow fires to spread.

I've already checked with a fire insurance expert and a sprinkler contractor. Sprinklers are required in Ontario condos as of April 1, 2010: http://www.newswire.ca/fr/story/371...-fire-sprinklers-in-new-condos-and-apartments

You can find pictures of Glas on Oxley Street, which has similar finishes and design, but it was completed before the new 2010 rules and has no visible sprinklers even in units with no balconies.

Last edited:
I noticed that as well, but in the picture above there is a balcony outside the window. Balconies prevent fires from spreading, so a waterwall isn't necessary there. I think you'll find sprinklers mostly along window walls without balconies.

Also, maybe you've already seen this, but if you search flickr for user "Stirling Home Studio", you'll find photos by the stager that was used for all the suites Lamb's trying to sell. Fun way to see a lot of different layouts in the building (and others).

Actually, I have a balcony and have a sprinkler right above my sliding door. My buddy in the same building has a unit without a balcony and yet no sprinkler system.

Yes, I've known about Stirling Home Studio for a while now. I check their stuff every now and then.

Actually, I have a balcony and have a sprinkler right above my sliding door. My buddy in the same building has a unit without a balcony and yet no sprinkler system.

Yes, I've known about Stirling Home Studio for a while now. I check their stuff every now and then.
Haha, that's inconsistent with sprinkler installations I've seen, so now I'm confused. I really hope these can be moved because I hate the idea of rail curtains and my two cats will tear drapes to shreds.

I'm sure any change to the sprinklers will be an ordeal involving water being shut off for the whole building.

Thanks for sharing - I'm glad this is now a requirement.

I have been told they need to put sprinklers in units where the building abuts the property line with another building. It's to try an minimize a fire spreading to the building that we are attached to.

Heard back from the guy I know who works in the industry. The requirements for sprinklers in every unit are for buildings that broke ground after Jan 2012. But from that time onward, all units are required to have sprinklers. (there are also regulations around buildings that have gone through a retrofit). Side wall sprinklers are used so they don't have to put in dry wall ceilings and reduce ceiling heights.

I have been told they need to put sprinklers in units where the building abuts the property line with another building. It's to try an minimize a fire spreading to the building that we are attached to.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense; my sprinklers are all facing the property line.

Back