News   Jul 31, 2024
 722     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 700     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

Kensington Market

This is the paradox. The edgier and more exciting a neighbourhood is, the more everyone wants to be there.

Bingo. Coffee shops have become a victim of their own success. Thanks to shows like "Friends" and "Ally McBeal," young tweens, now boho psuedo-bourgeoisie have bought into the "triple fair trade mocha latte, triple berry flax scone" movement which now are more visible and more corporate than half of the food retailers they were originally rebelling againist.

I have never been a fan of coffee shops. I always feel this smug yuppy pretentiousness whenever I walk into a local indy cafe or a mnc like Starbucks. I find that the more sterile the establishment, such as a Tweed Tim Hortons, the more interesting and authentic the customers.

So for me, it doesn't really matter whether a Starbucks opens, it'll attract the same demographic as Kensington's or the Moon Bean.

People it's a Starbucks, nothing more!!! Don't want to drink their coffee?? Don't go in!!! They have all the right to set-up shop where ever they want. If they close due to lack of business, then they close....but if they thrive because of the number of people going through the market on weekends, who could blame them for setting up there??

exactly..why does the modern "hippie" think they can hold back progress?...the 60's are over boy/girls this is the modern world,if you dont like Starbucks in your backyard dont go there,its better than the cafe in Kessie that carters to weed smoking patrons...

http://torontoist.com/2008/09/pedestrianized_politics.php

Pedestrianized Politics

First J and a helper lugged a couch down Augusta Avenue for the comfort of at least a few of the audience members and put a blanket down on the street for others. One woman was polite enough to take her shoes off before she sat on it. Another breastfed her baby as the politicos took their first rather delicate shots.

There was a smaller blanket on each of their seats in the colour of the respective candidate's party. This, it turned out, was a "superhero's cape" that J insisted the candidates tie around their necks. Green MP-wannabe Stephen LaFrenie, who among other things is a mime artist, made the most of this, mugging shamelessly, and NDP incumbent Olivia Chow and Liberal Christine Innes bore it bravely.

The big news? All three are against nuclear energy. Honesty compelled Innes to admit that her party is exploring all power options. Nukes, it seems, could still be on the Liberal menu. In the absence of a Tory to gang up on, Chow blamed the Grits for laying the foundation of the current political mess, Innes blamed the NDP, and LaFrenie—his hands talking up a storm—promised to do better than everyone else. It wasn't the stuff that banner headlines are made of.

Before the debate could start, though, a marching band of drummers had to thump its way through. LaFrenie boogied gently to the music. With a puppet show in a sack to one side and a reggae band to the other, the three tailored their party lines to fit a variety of questions about various issues, from the Oil Sands to Afghanistan to vaccination against genital warts. Michael J said heckling was encouraged, "but please be brief and try to be funny." But there was very little yelling, humorous or otherwise, from the sidelines.

Half an hour in, Chow was looking at her watch, checking her BlackBerry, and talking to her considerable entourage. She had to go. Where? She didn't say. She got in a quick plug for party leader (and her own partner) Jack Layton and hurried off. Innes, saying Chow has consistently been ducking all-candidates meetings, seemed to think there wasn't much point in continuing. LaFrenie said he did. But as the two kept talking, sometimes almost painfully polite toward one another, the crowd began to vote with its feet.

A shame none of the candidates addressed the issue of Starbucks moving into the Market. Stopping the march of big-box coffee could be a surefire vote-getter.

A shame none of the candidates addressed the issue of Starbucks moving into the Market. Stopping the march of big-box coffee could be a surefire vote-getter.

Gah. Sure summarizes the debate nicely: The little picture over the big picture.

I have never been a fan of coffee shops. I always feel this smug yuppy pretentiousness whenever I walk into a local indy cafe or a mnc like Starbucks. I find that the more sterile the establishment, such as a Tweed Tim Hortons, the more interesting and authentic the customers.

Maybe you're being a little oversensitive. Some people just want a good coffee and a little atmosphere. But then again, you are going into a Timmy's to observe the "authenticity" of its customers.

That's the approach I believe in too. If people have such a problem with a starbucks in Kensington, or a Wal-Mart in leslieville, then don't shop there. If they make enough money to stay in business, than it can't be a big enough problem.

While I agree with most of what you've said, but I do make an exception for the Leslieville Wal-Mart. That really could change the dynamic of the entire neighbourhood, and it will be a driving destination so business will come whether or not the local population shops there.

A Starbucks is a small thing, it is certainly not going to change the neighbourhood anymore than Supermarket, the Embassy, La Palette, or any of the other relatively high-brow places that have opened in Kensington in past years. It's just picking out an easy target. Remember when Nike had that Presto line, and they opened a shop in Kensington? All the "culture-jamming" drones had a fit. It was the end of days, they said. Of course, Presto came and left, and Kensington is pretty much the same.

It so silly, just taking aim at the easiest targets (Nike, Wal-Mart, McDonalds). most of their less successful competitors use similar if not the same business models, and they don't seem to get half the vitriol sprayed at them.

But, dude, it's like Adbusters...and Noam Chomsky!

NIMFY or NOMFSW* don't have the same ring to them.

Not On My Front SideWalk

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=144510

...culinary tours can be a delight

THE BEST combination of human nature, perhaps, is a foodie and travel bug. And the best entertainment of such an individual would be indulging in culinary travels. Though the word culinary travel is somewhat new, the idea nevertheless is pretty old and traditional. It is a well recognised fact that the food and other habits related to food reflect the history and tradition of a particular place.

Culinary tours are especially popular in Europe where small groups of people are taken through the different places of the continent, with hands on experience of the food of those places as well as the art of cooking those particular delicacies. The most favourite European places of these culinary tourists are Spain, Italy, France, and Portugal. These tours are generally a day-long trip to different vineyards, wineries, cheese makers, etc.

Another important and interesting way of taking a culinary tour is visiting the markets of different countries. These market should be visited at the early hours of the morning, since that is the time when fresh stock arrives. Some of the favorite market haunts of culinary travelers allover the world are Thailand’s Itsarnuphap Bazaar in Bangkok; Ecuador’s Otavalo; France’s Food and Antique Market, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue; and Los Angels, California’s market in Olvera Street. Other important markets worthy of visit are Mercat La Boqueria in Barcelona, Spain; Mbare Musika Market in Harare, Zimbabwe; Toronto’s Kensington Market; Mercado Ver-o-Peso of Brazil; and of course there are exotic markets such as the great Spice market of Istanbul and the Marrakech, Morocco’s Djemaa el-Fna.

cont'd

Interesting.

THE BEST combination of human nature, perhaps, is a foodie and travel bug.

Didn't "travel bug" once refer to a typical digestive ailment picked up while touring overseas?

Back