News   May 02, 2024
 836     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 239     0 

Keele St Clair Planning Study

mrxbombastic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today at Planning and Housing Committee, an update on the Keele-St Clair Study for the new GO Station MTSA was adopted.
Report: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.PH25.8

It replicates and extends a lot of what was done in the 2009/11 St Clair Avenue study work (OPA 84 & 144) but starts to layout a plan for what all the big box conversions might look like.

Screenshot_20210628-201243_Drive.jpg

It's going out for further consultation before finalization, likely next year. As I read through it I'll post some updates.

2011 Study west of Keele: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-36365.pdf

2011 Study East of Keele: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-86927.pdf

Interesting that the proposed MTSA boundary looks like it would exclude the LA Fitness/Organic Garage site that DiamondCorp bought last year.

Also this caught my eye, on page 39:

Neighbourhoods
The Neighbourhood areas within the KSC LAS should be viewed as stable, but not static. Limited neighbourhood-scale infill and intensification, such as additional units, garden and laneway suites, may be appropriate throughout the study area. For Neighbourhood properties fronting Old Weston Road, Weston Road and Keele Street, four storey developments will be permitted provided they can accommodate good transition to adjacent properties and enhancements to the public realm.​

Interesting that the proposed MTSA boundary looks like it would exclude the LA Fitness/Organic Garage site that DiamondCorp bought last year.

Also this caught my eye, on page 39:

Neighbourhoods
The Neighbourhood areas within the KSC LAS should be viewed as stable, but not static. Limited neighbourhood-scale infill and intensification, such as additional units, garden and laneway suites, may be appropriate throughout the study area. For Neighbourhood properties fronting Old Weston Road, Weston Road and Keele Street, four storey developments will be permitted provided they can accommodate good transition to adjacent properties and enhancements to the public realm.​
Yes, the study area should include the south side of Junction Road. Why would they not include it? Very odd…

I wasn’t able to make last night’s session. Would anyone be able to provide a quick summary??

As I just drove west on St Clair under the tracks, I thought about how there has been absolutely no update to this project with even though it was originally scheduled for 2024 commencement. This area needs so much love (Davenport extension, extra transit, St Clair widening, etc).

Disappointing

As I just drove west on St Clair under the tracks, I thought about how there has been absolutely no update to this project with even though it was originally scheduled for 2024 commencement. This area needs so much love (Davenport extension, extra transit, St Clair widening, etc).

Disappointing

What update are you looking for?

The study report was adopted back in May ' 22

So the website for it will not have any further updates.

Instead you'll see things move forward as discrete projects.

I should add, the transportation projects are under the Transportation Master Plan, not the Planning Study.

The Davenport Extension is in design now.

I have it penciled in for for 2025-2027 for construction.

Last edited:
What update are you looking for?

The study report was adopted back in May ' 22

So the website for it will not have any further updates.

Instead you'll see things move forward as discrete projects.

I should add, the transportation projects are under the Transportation Master Plan, not the Planning Study.

The Davenport Extension is in design now.

I have it penciled in for for 2025-2027 for construction.
This is helpful to know. Thank you. I guess I’m impatient because these projects would help this area exponentially.

True. According to the 2021 census the area saw a moderate decline in population. However since then several projects have opened and the decline in sfh occupancy has probably bottomed out so there is a good chance that the area is now growing slowly again. Btw a funny phenomenon that I noticed a few weeks ago when taking the Weston bus southbound from Weston is that everyone gets off at St. Clair to go to The Stockyards! Lol

IMG_5519.png

Last edited:

Back