News   Jul 15, 2024
 295     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Joy Oil Gas Station

Can somebody please explain to me the justification behind these "Exclusive food and beverage rights" for entire sections of the city? It's the same in the Ashbridges Bay beach area. Not only does it seem a little sketchy, it also tends to produce really crappy food and beverage options.

Probably the only way the city can get a profit out of leasing the space for these types of uses - but you're right, it's definitely not ideal from the customer's perspective.

AoD

The justification is that some on council (present and/or past) have relatives in the food and beverage industry.

It cost the city $400,000 to fix up the historic Joy Oil gas station. Why is it still waiting for a fillup?

Nov 2, 2021

The historic station in Sir Casimir Gzowski Park in the western beaches was restored by the city in 2008 at a cost of $400,000, but has since been a “tiny castle” without a queen or a king or even a kitchen.

The back story — and it goes way back — is that the city turned it over to the Grenadier Group, its concession licensee in the western beaches, as part of a deal made long ago to extend Grenadier’s contract until 2031.

The agreement added 15 years to Grenadier’s exclusive rights to sell food and drink to beachgoers, but it had to take the station as part of it. A city report said it would become a snack bar, with an information centre or something else in it.

The details were agreed to in 2013 but nothing has ever been done with it. The station remains vacant, except for lawn maintenance equipment in the garage bays, and is surrounded by a three-metre fence.

I’ve heard from many people over the years who were disappointed it has not been put to good use, and was palmed off on a partner in no hurry to do anything with it, despite claims to the contrary.

After all, it already has a food stand just a few steps away from the station.

--------
I was told last February that renderings and floor plans had been completed but required approval before permits could be issued to retrofit the structure for “planned uses,” and that work would start in the summer of 2020.

Of course, that went nowhere. So, what’s the story this time? COVID-19, the city’s go-to excuse for just about everything over the last 18 months.

STATUS: I got a note from parks, forestry and recreation that said it “continues to work with Grenadier on redevelopment of the Joy Oil station. Due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the building and construction industry, some of the work on this project has been delayed.

“Final permit drawings have been submitted to the city and the permits to carry out the redevelopment of the Joy Oil station have been issued. Barring unforeseen circumstances, it is anticipated that redevelopment of the Joy Oil station will start in spring 2022. This work will be carried out by Grenadier at its expense.

“Grenadier pays the city an annual licensee fee for the station and is responsible at its own expense for the operation of the property, including utilities and capital repairs. City maintenance costs are related solely to turf maintenance around the area.”

Rather rich of Grenadier to use covid as a delay excuse with a straight face when the city paid to renovate the building only...13 YEARS AGO.
Been a sad sight to see it sitting there all these years behind a fence, but nice to see one the used to be around with style.

Walked around it again while photographing last week again.

Rather rich of Grenadier to use covid as a delay excuse with a straight face when the city paid to renovate the building only...13 YEARS AGO.
For some of us it feels like it's been around 13 years and then some. Not to excuse those who claim they couldn't do anything for the last 13 years because of it though. There is a difference.

Btw, this thread has been around for over 15 years. Which I believe was also before UT made the migration over to this current forum platform.

I still remember those days. Maybe it's time to consider retiring. 😅

Seeing as (according to rumour) you first joined UT at the age of 8.............retirement might be a bit premature...

The actual age of joining was closer to double that number. So eventual retirement is closer than you think. ;)

Based on the age of some UT veterans who think of me as a young'in.........I'm pretty sure they don't pension you off here til at least 80! You're not even 1/2 way there!

It's really sad to see this building beautifully restored but empty. The city should have Build Toronto or a similar organization find a tenant to unlock the value of this unutilized heritage property. They should also finally find a tenant for the Sherbourne Common pavilion, which was supposed to have a business like a coffee shop to help animate the park.

It's really sad to see this building beautifully restored but empty. The city should have Build Toronto or a similar organization find a tenant to unlock the value of this unutilized heritage property. They should also finally find a tenant for the Sherbourne Common pavilion, which was supposed to have a business like a coffee shop to help animate the park.

Tuggs!

This is how Shake Shack was born. The Madison Square Park Conservancy worked with Danny Meyer to bring in a food vendor to animate the park for a fundraiser. The rest, as they say, is history. I don't believe that Conservancies, are utilized (or legal) in Toronto, to the same way that the Central Park Conservancy and others are utilized in New York.

I don't believe that Conservancies, are utilized (or legal) in Toronto, to the same way that the Central Park Conservancy and others are utilized in New York.

The closest comparison we have would be Toronto Botanical Garden which has an agreement with the City to manage the lands/buildings at Edwards Gardens; has the right to raise independent funding etc.
That said, they don't have any robust endowment and only really have the parking revenues the City has allowed them to take a couple of other modest streams of revenue thus far.
They have been fundraising for both capital and endowment type funding though.

There is nothing 'illegal' about a Conservancy model here. Though they rarely have a significant role in the management/funding/operation of public parklands.

The Bruce Trail Conservancy and the Royal Botanical Garden in Burlington would be local examples of size.

The City is resistant to giving up control; there would certainly be some headaches in getting anything like that off-the-ground here.
But with enough money, I don't doubt it could be done. The City would be disinclined to turn down a multi-million dollar stream of annual funding, when there is no adverse impact on service.

But truth be told there really hasn't been that kind of money floated here.

The Bentway is a limited Toronto example.

But for a proper comparison, consider that Central Park Conservancy has an endowment of over 200M of which 100M came from a single donation.

A comparable Conservancy for High Park would require in the range 100M-150M in endowment funds, some City support (NYC still provides some of Central Park's budget), and
then some really good hires; along with a willingness to let the park raise revenue through parking, concessions, and the like.

One more note though............the benefits of a Conservancy financially aren't that large.....in terms of spin-off operating dollars; we're talking about 4-6M per year for something the size of High Park; for comparison's sake
the City's operating budget is ~14 Billion per year.

What a Conservancy might give you is slightly more effective use of dollars, a bit more motivated/empowered staff and volunteers; and that is worth something. Though again, no real reason it can't
be achieved in-house by the City; it just isn't.

Back