News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 419     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 757     0 

Jennifer Keesmaat's Toronto

You don't think families with children in the suburbs wouldn't support 30 kph max on their streets?

I grew up in the suburbs and was never uncomfortable walking with cars traveling at the current speed limits. If you know how to look both ways as a pedestrian it is highly unlikely you will get hit on a suburban residential street by a car.

I am fundamentally against a blanket one size fixed all approach to speed limits.

I grew up in the suburbs and was never uncomfortable walking with cars traveling at the current speed limits. If you know how to look both ways as a pedestrian it is highly unlikely you will get hit on a suburban residential street by a car.

I am fundamentally against a blanket one size fixed all approach to speed limits.
I like walking along railway tracks myself. What could possibly go wrong? That was between shoving needles in my arm and jumping off of high cliffs. I'm still alive, so I recommend everyone does it.

What could possibly go wrong?

I always see lawn signs in Toronto suburbs asking drivers to slow down .

Besides this is a good policy by Keesmat. Residential streets should be set 30 kph

Speed doesn't kill, it's guns....wait a minute! No....guns don't kill people, it's motorists....oh Jeez....speeding bullets don't kill, it's cars going too slow....slow drivers need amphetamine to be more aware. Yeah! Speed don't kill nobody...

The speed demons are still going to speed. I'm all for a lower speed limit, but it won’t make a difference without enforcement. I would like to see speed humps/bumps in all school zones.

The speed demons are still going to speed. I'm all for a lower speed limit, but it won’t make a difference without enforcement. I would like to see speed humps/bumps in all school zones.
Absolutely true! I still scratch my head when reading the "Baby on Board" signs in people's car back windows. The best, the *very best* that's going to work is someone already converted to the message.

Enforcement and control are the only ways to get effective regulation. Although not directly analogous, nothing shows this more abjectly than the King Street Pilot.

God knows I hate the heavy hand of regulation in day to day life, but when it comes to the health and safety of those you love, and those of others...then heavy hand it has to be.

I like walking along railway tracks myself. What could possibly go wrong? That was between shoving needles in my arm and jumping off of high cliffs. I'm still alive, so I recommend everyone does it.

What could possibly go wrong?
Is the government supposed to protect you from your choices?

That is not what Keesmaat proposed. She said 'residential streets' by which she clearly meant side streets, not major roads w/buses on them.

This is a proposal to change the default speed limit (unsigned). There will still be lots of signed-limits that are higher.

Keesmaat and I are in agreement on this and if you look at the link I posted from her site, in the Mayoral thread, (don't have time or I'd cross post it here right now), road design is the answer, but speed humps are not.

Speed humps by the way can be brutal on people w/back issues or in medical distress, in an ambulance, even at slow speeds.

The key in design is intuitive slower speeds.

This occurs by narrowing the curb to curb distance, by planting trees or other wise creating more streetwall close to the curb and by putting subtle curves in the road that require you to pay attention and turn slightly.

Those moves are the key.

Enforcement is useful to begin a habit change, but its not sustainable.

Good design is.

The speed demons are still going to speed.
I'm not a demon, I just recognise the design limitations of vehicles and our highways and drive accordingly. On highways.

I don't know why we can't have a set in-town speed limit like they do in Europe. Why do we have to complicate everything?

In Europe, there are three standard (differing in each country) speed limits: in-town, out of town, highway.

Simple. I'd go 40/110/160 myself, but apparently 30 is the new 40. (Which is the opposite of how I live my life where 30 is the new 20).
Never mind, our drivers can't drive worth a damn....highway limit should be 80 to cater to our poor standards of licensing. In-town by that logic may as well be 20kph, really.

PS: speed bumps (along with stop signs) are the poor man's proper road design.

Last edited:
Is the government supposed to protect you from your choices?

I don't know, are they?

Society seems to think so.

See: War on Drugs.

Also see: liquor serving hours, public drinking laws, marijuana "legalisation", seat belt requirements, universal healthcare, etc

Back