News   Apr 24, 2024
 998     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 639     0 

Jennifer Keesmaat's Toronto

Then who is there?

So far Keesmaat is the best option, and the one most likely to attract a team that 'can do'.

Well, you know me, I don't usually vote for the popular choices just because they have a higher likelihood of being elected.

Popular stuff usually sucks a nut. Take beer for example. Just go to your local Beer Store and check out their wall-posted best sellers. Enough said.
Music? Top 40 drivel.
And so on and so forth.

Though, I'll give you one thing: I like Keesmaat and may indeed end up voting for her.

If she starts talking bike lanes in Scarborough she's going to have a problem. At this point, and I hate to say it, I think she's going to have to back off talk of the LRT in Scarborough as people are sick of flip flopping on it and the subway.

The biggest irritant in regards to that particular joke is the fact that we can't bloody well decide on anything, stick to it, and get it done.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be long done at my employer if I rolled like that.

Also, I agree with your assessment, but will say that if she gives up on midrise along the high streets, she's lost any chance of getting my vote.

70 vs 30 isn't quite 3-to-1: Forum shouldn't use misleading headers. And 30 isn't a horrible number to start with--though it does affirm my concerns about Keesmaat basically becoming an urban-progressive version of Jane Pitfield...

Very apt comparison. Both from North Toronto too.

The secession of Toronto from Ontario would require a Constitutional amendment, which would require act of parliament and 2/3rds of the Canadian Population to support it. However, Toronto can relatively easily acquire Constitutional protections, enshrining Toronto a near-provincial status, which would mean the City would be functionally indistinguishable from a province in its daily functions.

The Constitution has two different amending formulas. The most commonly cited one is the "7/50" amending formula, which is for matters that impact the entire country. This is the amending formula that makes it virtually impossible to turn Toronto into a province. However, when a Constitutional amendment would only impact one province, only an agreement between the Parliament of Canada and the legislature of the relevant province is necessary. See section 43 of the Constitution Act, 1982:

43. An amendment to the Constitution of Canada in relation to any provision that applies to one or more, but not all, provinces, including
  • (a) any alteration to boundaries between provinces, and

• (b) any amendment to any provision that relates to the use of the English or the French language within a province,
may be made by proclamation issued by the Governor General under the Great Seal of Canada only where so authorized by resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons and of the legislative assembly of each province to which the amendment applies.
This means that, if Queen's Park and the Federal government desire to, Constitutional protections could be provided to Toronto that grant the City (or region) everything short of provincial status (granting Toronto provincial status would trigger the "7/50" amending formula)

In the day-to-day governance of the city, this means that Toronto could be functionally indistinguishable from a province. Toronto would only face the limits of its power when facing constitutional matters. For example, if the Constitution of Canada were to be changed using the "7/50 formula", Toronto would not be a party in those negotiations. Rather, Toronto would still be represented by Ontario.

Achieving this would be politically challenging, but certainly achievable. It would require a Federal government that's willing to negotiate, and a Provincial government that's willing to push the matter. Given that the GTA will soon represent more than half of the seats in the Provincial Legislature, it's not far-fetched to imagine that a future Ontario government would be sympathetic to the idea that Toronto deserves constitutional protections.

Last edited:
70 vs 30 isn't quite 3-to-1: Forum shouldn't use misleading headers. And 30 isn't a horrible number to start with--though it does affirm my concerns about Keesmaat basically becoming an urban-progressive version of Jane Pitfield...

30% sounds fantastic to me, given that the vast majority of Torontonians probably have no idea who Keesmaat is in the first place.

You're correct that the secession of Toronto from Ontario would require a Constitutional amendment,
I didn't state that, quite the contrary. Quote *me* exactly, not my quoting someone else's post.

The one you've cited
I didn't cite any.

Quote me exactly, and perhaps we can discuss this further. What I've made clear time and again, is that *secession* is an act of leaving, not one of joining!

Provinces are sacrosanct as part of the Constitution.The only body able to grant territory is the province affected. (Or a SCC decision, but even this is tenuous)

There are legal arguments to be made, not least the SCC interpretations of the Charter Rights. That is *not* one of secession, it's the nature of how to conduct the nation's business within the confines and definitions of the Constitution.

Besides all of the above, the present regime in Parliament is offering an exquisite 'work-around' as promoted by Adam Vaughan:

Ottawa won't start constitutional fight over Toronto council cuts
Toronto Star-Jul. 30, 2018
Adam Vaughan, a two-term Toronto councillor who is now the Liberal MP for Spadina — Fort York, said Ford's legislation to eliminate almost ...

Ottawa prepared to work around Ontario's 'vindictive and destructive ...
Globalnews.ca-Jul. 27, 2018
Federal Toronto MP Adam Vaughan says Doug Ford is taking a wrecking ball to city hall and hasn't built anything for the city during his time as ...

As Ford says he promised to reduce government, Tory pushes for ...
Local Source-Toronto Star-Jul. 27, 2018

Adam Vaughan: Doug Ford Is 'Breaking' Toronto Because He Dislikes ...
HuffPost Canada-Jul. 27, 2018
Adam Vaughan, a Toronto Liberal MP and parliamentary secretary for urban affairs, says Ontario Premier Doug Ford is plunging Toronto into ...

TorStar, the Globe and others have hosted noted lawyers and Constitutional scholars publishing very considered legal mechanisms and devices to buttress the City's case. I've posted some and linked them in other strings on effectively the same subject in UT.

There's some bogus ones out there, beware, David Miller knocked his own feet out from under himself by 'guessing' without even consulting the literature.

There are, however, some very well referenced articles by noted barristers been published in just the last few days.

There will be more, a lot more...

Last edited:
In the day-to-day governance of the city, this means that Toronto could be functionally indistinguishable from a province. Toronto would only face the limits of its power when facing constitutional matters. For example, if the Constitution of Canada were to be changed using the "7/50 formula", Toronto would not be a party in those negotiations. Rather, Toronto would still be represented by Ontario.

Achieving this would be politically challenging, but certainly achievable. It would require a Federal government that's willing to negotiate, and a Provincial government that's willing to push the matter. Given that the GTA will soon represent more than half of the seats in the Provincial Legislature, it's not far-fetched to imagine that a future Ontario government would be sympathetic to the idea that Toronto deserves constitutional protections.

I'm going to run with this a bit because... it's an extremely interesting idea. I think there's a lot of evidence that governance in Ontario has become dysfunctional. Too many divergent regions often without overlapping interests. And it's not like Ontario has any particular unifying identity either. So much like how amalgamation is still lamented for destroying a functional metro structure, so too is the solution decentralization. Some issues could remain at the provincial level (e.g. OHIP, hydro, higher education, highways), others could be devolved to the new super-regions (transit, general infrastructure, planning, education, hospitals/health care delivery).

others could be devolved to the new super-regions (transit, general infrastructure, planning, education, hospitals/health care delivery).
Agreed on 'Super Region'...however, that's a direct threat to the simple minded Fordites. The Province can create or destroy a 'Super Region' on whim, and as that relates to this string, Keesmaat will have a challenge getting even the City of Toronto onside to get elected. I think she can, but it won't be easy. And once accomplished, the 905 region will resent it.

We won't be seeing any 'super region' for some time. Albeit there is a possibility after the next provincial election.

It might take some sort of further governance crisis to prompt that. Of course, given Doug's history, that's not out of the question.

But the super-region structure could be accomplished via constitutional amendment as described above. Essentially the section 92 powers of the Ontario legislature would be distributed to these super-regions.

Anyway. Geeking out about this stuff a bit too much...

Essentially the section 92 powers of the Ontario legislature would be distributed to these super-regions.
It's Section 92 of the Constitution Act. I don't mean to be persnickety about the point, but it's essential we get this right to win a case, or at the very least, grounds for an injunction.

Just up at the Lawyer's Daily:
Province flexes its muscle by slashing Toronto City Council seats | John Mascarin and Monica Ciriello
Wednesday, August 01, 2018 @ 11:05 AM | By John Mascarin and Monica Ciriello

A bombshell was dropped on the eve of municipal nomination day: Toronto City Council would be slashed from 47 members to 25 — not for future elections but for the upcoming election in 2018. Then on nomination day newly elected Premier Doug Ford called Toronto’s council “the most dysfunctional political arena in the country” and announced that his government would introduce a series of reforms to alter the structure of local government in Toronto.

The Better Local Government Act, 2018 was introduced on July 30, 2018, to amend the City of Toronto Act, 2006 and the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 to reduce the number of council members and wards in Toronto to align with the federal and provincial electoral boundaries. This announcement was neither specifically mentioned during the provincial election campaign nor in the Progressive Conservative Party platform.

Provincial constitutional authority

The premier’s announcement left many asking how the province could step in and fundamentally change municipal governance. However, it is clear that the province has the authority to do so under s. 92(8) of the Constitution Act, 1867. It is well known that municipalities are merely creatures of provincial statute. Constitutionally, the province has the power and jurisdiction to do precisely what it intends to.

Previous provincial intrusion

There is a precedent. Twenty years ago the provincial government enacted the City of Toronto Act, 1997 that involuntarily amalgamated the six local municipalities within Metropolitan Toronto to create the mega-city of Toronto (mandating a mayor and 44 ward councillors). The provincial government of the day proceeded with the amalgamation despite a referendum and vehement public opposition to it.

The constitutional validity of the City of Toronto Act, 1997 was unsuccessfully challenged in East York (Borough) v. Ontario (Attorney General) at both the General Division and the Court of Appeal. Both times, the courts upheld the constitutional power of the province to amend municipal structures and functions without their consent,and reinforced that the province has a very broad authority to enact legislation that affects municipal institutions.

Does a smaller council equal cost savings?

Ford has proffered that fewer councillors will save money and increase much needed efficiency in the City of Toronto. There is an unsubstantiated claim that $25 million in cost efficiencies will result from the decrease in elected representatives.

Despite the evidence, the province knows best

The City of Toronto recently underwent a two-year ward boundary review. An independent consultant conducted extensive public consultation. City staff fully reviewed the work and put forward their own reports and professional advice. The review was amply debated and discussed at various committee and council meetings. New ward boundaries and an increase in the number of wards from 44 to 47 were approved by City Council. An appeal was considered by the former Ontario Municipal Board, which upheld the City Council decision. A further appeal was dismissed by the Ontario Divisional Court.

What has the province brought forward? No studies, no reports, no consultation, only the aforementioned unsupported claim that cost efficiencies of $25 million will result and that provincial and federal riding boundaries already exist. The lack of thoughtful consideration and study is alarming.

Lack of statutorily mandated consultation

In addition, the province does not appear to have abided by its commitment under s. 1 of the City of Toronto Act, 2006 that it work together with the City of Toronto with “mutual respect, consultation and cooperation.” All three lofty attributes appear to be missing in action.

Effective representation

At present, local council representation by population in Toronto is comparable to other larger municipalities in Canada, including Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver. Reducing the size of elected local representatives by nearly half will eradicate the principle of fairness and effective representation. The Supreme Court of Canada held in Reference Re Prov. Electoral Boundaries (Sask.), [1991] 2 S.C.R. 158, that the right to vote in s. 3 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms includes “effective representation.”

Timing

The formal announcement was made on nomination day and Bill 5 was introduced after the close of nominations. How fair is this to people who had put aside other worthwhile pursuits to study the playing field, file nomination papers, mobilize their supporters, fundraise for their campaigns and, in some cases, take a leave of absence to do all this? Furthermore, the truncated timeline jeopardizes the already enormous burden on city election staff to ensure that a fair, effective and secure election takes place.

Referendum

Having probably received advice that its legal options to challenge the Better Local Government Act, 2018 were limited, Toronto City Council voted in favour of an emergency motion requesting that the province conduct a binding referendum on the legislation before proceeding with it. An ineffectual response if there ever was one.

The surprising and rather untimely move by the premier has stunned Toronto City Council and its electorate. If anything, the Better Local Government Act, 2018 manifests a clear demonstration of the broad authority the province has over its municipalities. Isn’t it ironic that the former unsuccessful mayoral candidate now holds more power over the City of Toronto than he would have if he had been elected as its head of council in 2014?

John Mascarin is a partner and Monica Ciriello is an associate with Aird & Berlis LLP in Toronto.
https://www.thelawyersdaily.ca/arti...uncil-seats-john-mascarin-and-monica-ciriello

^Further to prior post:
Effective representation

At present, local council representation by population in Toronto is comparable to other larger municipalities in Canada, including Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver. Reducing the size of elected local representatives by nearly half will eradicate the principle of fairness and effective representation. The Supreme Court of Canada held in Reference Re Prov. Electoral Boundaries (Sask.), [1991] 2 S.C.R. 158, that the right to vote in s. 3 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms includes “effective representation.”
This is the tack to take to court. It is discussed in detail and more at:
TWBRFinalReportMay2016.pdf
New Wards for Toronto – Final Report - City of Toronto

There will be no shortage of eminently qualified legal pundits positing their views on this point in the press in the next while.

Links from the article posted prior:
Related Articles

The secession of Toronto from Ontario would require a Constitutional amendment, which would require act of parliament and 2/3rds of the Canadian Population to support it. However, Toronto can relatively easily acquire Constitutional protections, enshrining Toronto a near-provincial status, which would mean the City would be functionally indistinguishable from a province in its daily functions.

The Constitution has two different amending formulas. The most commonly cited one is the "7/50" amending formula, which is for matters that impact the entire country. This is the amending formula that makes it virtually impossible to turn Toronto into a province. However, when a Constitutional amendment would only impact one province, only an agreement between the Parliament of Canada and the legislature of the relevant province is necessary. See section 43 of the Constitution Act, 1982:

43. An amendment to the Constitution of Canada in relation to any provision that applies to one or more, but not all, provinces, including
  • (a) any alteration to boundaries between provinces, and

• (b) any amendment to any provision that relates to the use of the English or the French language within a province,
may be made by proclamation issued by the Governor General under the Great Seal of Canada only where so authorized by resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons and of the legislative assembly of each province to which the amendment applies.
This means that, if Queen's Park and the Federal government desire to, Constitutional protections could be provided to Toronto that grant the City (or region) everything short of provincial status (granting Toronto provincial status would trigger the "7/50" amending formula)

I'm certainly no constitutional or political expert but no doubt legal professors plus other self-appointed experts will geek out on this in opinion columns and peer publications. I believe the Section 43 process was used by Newfoundland and possibly Quebec to abolish their parochial schools. And I suppose it could be used for, say, Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador to sort out their boundary issue if they ever so choose, but it would be interesting for those experts to weigh in on whether creating a 'province but not a province' would be allowed by this Section. In order to successfully devolve powers and authorities, the city/region/not-quite-a-province would have to have the authority to levy taxes, duties and tariffs in order to pay for them, and many of them are only allowed to provinces under the constitution. Would the constitution allow for provincial jurisdiction to be transferred to a non-province? Would the new entity be eligible for transfer or equalization payments (or alternatively, have to contribute to them to benefit other provinces)? Would the new regional entity go from being a child of the province to being a child of the federal government? I don't know. Interesting moot court topic for aspiring lawyers.

I don’t see why a constitutional amendment would be used vs simple delegation via provincial act - like they did last time.

Only conceivable way would be in response to a massive BQ-style or Catalan-esque protest movement but can’t imagine we’d get to that

Back