News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

Jarvis Streetscape Improvements Environmental Assessment

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
The first meeting is next Wednesday night at the National Ballet School.

clear.gif
clear.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This site was last updated March 7, 2008[/FONT]​
graphic.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Study overview
The City of Toronto has started a Class Environmental Assessment (EA) to study and develop streetscape improvement plans and traffic lane modifications along the Jarvis Street corridor from Bloor Street East to Queen Street East. The study will be an opportunity for the public to provide input into a design concept for Jarvis Street that will:
[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meet the aesthetic and historic objectives of the area[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Improve the streetscaping features[/FONT]
jarvis_ani_400.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Study area map
Jarvis Street is a north-south arterial road and primary commuter route. View map of study area in PDF format
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (PDF). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
map.gif
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Study purpose
To improve the public realm in a manner that compliments the existing built form and redevelopment in the area.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The streetscaping opportunities along Jarvis Street will provide:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Improvements to celebrate the diverse cultural and historical elements[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Enhance the pedestrian environment[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The envisioned Jarvis street will be safe and accessible, attractive, educational, environmentally sound, business friendly, and support vibrant communities.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People from local neighbourhoods, across Toronto, and beyond will recognize Jarvis Street equally as a transportation corridor as well as a desirable destination.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Key elements of the study will include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Identify opportunities for streetscaping along Jarvis Street between Bloor Street and Queen Street[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Identify preferred alternative solution to meet the streetscaping initiatives of the City and establish a sense of place along Jarvis Street[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Identify timing for implementation of the preferred alternative(s)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The study is following the planning and design process for a Schedule “C†project under the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Background
A comprehensive transportation study was completed by the project consultant in January 2005 assessing the traffic conditions along Jarvis Street and adjacent streets. The City of Toronto’s Traffic Operations Section has signed off on the Jarvis Street Streetscape Traffic Study 2005
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (PDF) [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]which evaluated existing and future traffic conditions and recommended that the removal of the reversible centre lane se carried forward for further study to determine physical feasibility and for public input.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view PDF files.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Public consultation
The first Jarvis Streetscape Open House will be held on Wednesday, March 19, 2008.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Location:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canada's National Ballet School
400 Jarvis Street, Town Square
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Time: [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6:00pm to 9:00pm
A presentation will be made at 7:00pm
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Visit the Facebook Group: Jarvis Streetscape Improvement[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Related information[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Related projects[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contact us
If you have questions or would like to be placed on our mailing list, please contact us:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maogosha Pyjor
City of Toronto, Public Consultation Unit
Tel: 416-338-2850
Email: Jarvis@toronto.ca
Facebook Group: Jarvis Streetscape Improvement
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24 Hour Comment Line: 416-397-7777
Fax: 416-392-2974
TTY: 416-397-0831
Mail: City of Toronto, Public Consultation Unit
55 John Street, 19th Floor, Toronto ON, M5V 3C6
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Media inquiries
All media inquiries can be directed:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steve Johnston
Communications and Consultation
Tel. 416-392-4391
[/FONT]

They even created a Facebook (!) group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6949283325

I'll be there for that first meeting... there's so much that needs to be done to that street.

While I'm quite chuffed to anticipate landscape improvements to Jarvis, I've often thought it would also be an ideal candidate for a streetcar route from the lake up Jarvis and onto Mount Pleasant up to wherever Mount Pleasant goes to. I recall there used to be a streetcar loop at Eglinton and Mount Pleasant but I suspect that the site has been condofied.

"Improvements to celebrate the diverse cultural and historical elements "

We should give a heritage designation to Hooker Harvey's before it's gonhorrea.

While I'm quite chuffed to anticipate landscape improvements to Jarvis, I've often thought it would also be an ideal candidate for a streetcar route from the lake up Jarvis and onto Mount Pleasant up to wherever Mount Pleasant goes to. I recall there used to be a streetcar loop at Eglinton and Mount Pleasant but I suspect that the site has been condofied.

The loop's still there, used by the 74 Mount Pleasant buses. It also still has clearance for electric overheads, as trolley buses used it until 1992.

As much as I'd love a streetcar outside my door, I don't see it happening. In any case, the old trackage* would have to be lifted before new trackage is put in. And Mt. Pleasant southbound in the morning is a total parking lot, so any streetcar that gets put in would get nowhere fast during peak periods.

*would love to see streetcars go east from Yonge along St. Clair again, but if the proposed Eglinton line is buried as it looks like it will be west from Don Mills, I seriously doubt any thought will be given to an interchange with *any* streetcar line that may go back onto Mount Pleasant, not that there is even any *remote* possibility of that...

Mt. Pleasant and Avenue road must share the distinction for being the most important urban streets with lousy transit service in Toronto. I wonder if more frequent bus service up and down these two streets would alleviate the crush loads on the Yonge line.

Mount Pleasant is a strange case, in the morning I look out my window and can see both the 74 and the 142(?) premium express buses go south and by and large they're full. The 11 and 28 along Davisville (the 28 is basically a filler rush-hour shuttle from Bayview) are *completely* rammed, so there is clearly a ridership base along those corridors. But the issue with Mount Pleasant and Avenue Road are their nature as downtown feeder corridors: they are hopelessly clogged a lot of the time, and I think that's what's deterring the TTC from adding service to them (the bullaboo that Steve Munro is always going on about).

What I *would* like to see are traffic counts along Mount Pleasant taken in 1976 (when the streetcars were removed) and now, to see if traffic is, in fact, *the* major impediment to placing higher-order transit along the Mount Pleasant-Jarvis corridor. If it isn't, well, then the EA mentioned above should look into that, but with no room on either side to place a dedicated transit lane, I don't see any transit improvements along there. Same for Avenue Road, even though it *had* parts of two streetcar routes along it from Bloor to St. Clair prior to 1954 when the street was narrower than it is now.

Incidentally, I always get a strange feeling when driving south on Jarvis that I'm in New York, especially 2nd or 3rd Av in the teens, I don't know why...

Avenue Road/University Avenue and Mt. Pleasant/Jarvis are absolutely essential to the flow of traffic in the central part of Toronto. Any changes to the street scape or presence of transit must preserve the thoroughfare status of these streets. I am fully aware of how backwards this statement must sound, however central Toronto would get really clogged up if traffic flow is restricted along either street.

I question the need for significant transit improvements along either street given that the subway is so close. The money would be better spent bringing transit improvements to Scarborough or Etobicoke. But having said that, I have no objection to reinstating streetcar service along Mt. Pleasant, though again I would question whether ridership would justify such a significant capital cost.

That old shot looks like it could be taken straight out one of the inner suburbs, Scarborough or North York. The only things missing are the 2-3 car garages. Maybe even the outer suburbs if the trees weren't so big..

^^ I was gonna say it looks a lot like the stretch of Royal York between Bloor and Dundas today.

I think one of the biggest improvements that could be made on Jarvis would be to put in a centre median and boulevard the sidewalks and reintroduce trees to the streetscape. It would instantly, and easily, improve the pedestrian environment.. though at the expense of car traffic. IMO though, the bottleneck that occurs on Jarvis south of Queen leads me to believe that traffic might flow better if it was 2 lanes in each direction for its entire length.

Back