News   Jul 26, 2024
 870     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Jarvis St. Gentrification

i am positive that turning the centre lane into a dedicated median with left turn lanes at all intersections would dramatically improve traffic flow on jarvis, right now you constantly get stopped in the middle lane by people making left turns. a nice tree lined median plus improvements to the sidewalks would make it into a really nice street

I think that's how the median on Market Street in San Francsico is set up. I'm not certain because I've only ever walked, run or taken the streetcar along it.

Now if only we could get palm trees to grow on Jarvis...

"People are starting to recognize that it's not just the facade, it's the story that matters."

Well that is a nice change. Consumer oriented Boomers have not been interested in the "story" until now.

How about Magnolias? They fare quite well here. Imagine how spectacular in the spring!!

"People are starting to recognize that it's not just the facade, it's the story that matters."

Well that is a nice change. Consumer oriented Boomers have not been interested in the "story" until now.

Of course, it's completely untrue. No one sinks hundreds of thousands of dollars into real estate because it has a nice story. It has to be a quality building, in a nice location.

Tudarms, I would welcome a white through pink to deep rose line of magnolias and or flowering crab apple trees running up Jarvis.

Magnolias are prone to scale, and I don't think the city plants them.

With untreated scale, the tree ends up covered with a sticky gunk that drips on the leaves and branches, a sooty fungus grows over it, the leaves turn black, ants and other insects move in and feast on the sticky secretion and ... well ... it isn't a pretty sight. It can kill the tree.

I was thinking the same thing about the central lane. Make it an island, like University, but on a more human scale. You could take away the directional lights away as well when you take the central lane away.

Andrea: There is a spectacular old magnolia around the corner from me, in full bloom right now. People go out of their way to come by and see it.

Great Gulf is contributing funds from section 37 agreements for the X Condo towards fixing up the Charles, Jarvis and Mount Pleasent intersection.

Would be an interesting place for a roundabout/rotary/circle (not that it's advisable or anything)...

I take back my earlier thought that bigger sidewalks are more important than a centre median. I was on north Jarvis the other day and most of the buildings are set back quite far from the street, far enough, anyways, to accommodate additional uses. I think the magnolias on the median is a great idea.

Then you can spray them with dormant oil every fall.

A small item in The Globe on Saturday said the city will be installing a marble statue by Paul Lancz on a traffic island at Jarvis and Richmond.

I saw that story, but didn't note the location. That triangle is the perfect spot.

It is a copy of the original in Montreal. The son proposes "to bring it to the street corners of the world, starting with Toronto." A rogue benefactor with a mission of world domination.

Back