News   Apr 26, 2024
 54     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 135     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 564     0 

James Club (Royal York @ Dundas, The Princess Group, 14s, Turner Fleischer)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope the James Club happens - it will pretty much double the density of the site across Royal York from Humbertown Plaza. It looks like it will be built right on top of the shallow parking garage (see below) that currently sits just south of the existing building. (I've always wondered what the interior of the exisiting building on site is like - do the walls curve along with the building, or are they a series of short straight segments?)

2369181436_f27741e4c5_o.jpg

Last edited:
James Club (Royal York @ Dundas, The Princess Group, 14s, Ray Mandel)

I hope the James Club happens - it will pretty much double the density of the site across Royal York from Humbertown Plaza. It looks like it will be built right on top of the shallow parking garage (see below) that currently sits just south of the existing building. (I've always wondered what the interior of the exisiting building on site is like - do the walls curve along with the building, or are they a series of short straight segments?)

2369181436_f27741e4c5_o.jpg

The trouble I have with James Club, in fact, is that it ruins the freestanding setting of the Royal York Gardens apartments--one of the most underrated works of 60s Corbusiana in the city. (Even the doomed garage is integral to the setting, as can be seen from the overhead view.)

If they really had to build it, I wish they didn't choose something so standard condo-schlocky in design...

Interchange42: I agree about James Club - it would go a long way toward urbanizing the area. The Humbertown plaza has way more parking space than it needs as well, particularly those lots sandwiched between the Kingsway and Royal York. I envision a wonderful streetwall of mid-rise infill going there.

adma: Great point. Certainly an interesting design, including the garage. The only problem is that it's only visible from above (like in that google shot) - from street level you'd never know it's like that, which is unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adma: I don't mean to defend the James Club in any other way than to welcome more density. My preference for adding to that site would be to build a tower in the (completely unused) triangle of lawn in southwest corner. Best case scenario would be that it would relate architecturally to the existing building. I expect no miracles however...

Re. James Club. I had never even heard of it until I got some flyer in the mail today. They may be pricing themselves a little high as the flyer suggested prices from $192 000 and I think I saw the smallest unit was around 530 sq ft. Almost $400/sq ft outside of downtown. I don't know the market that well, does that sound right?

I noticed yesterday that a crew was chopping down a bunch of large trees behind the James Club sales centre, so it looks like it won't be long now before construction begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the James Club i saw that as well, but they are still going to take over 2 years to build the condo.....they gotta get rid of that outdoor parking lot before they start anything

The James Club

Existing building designed in the 60's by The late great architect Raymond J. Mandel. The same architect who designed The James Club, The Terraces of the Old Mill, Old Mill Terrace and many other great buildings.
Some of the suites do follow the curvature of the building. They are rather beautiful.

The James Club is situated on its location to accomodate reasonable space from the existing building, cp rail & existing utilities.

Construction did not commence last fall, as you require and must satisy certain items such as: applications & permits, meetings, surveys etc.
At that point sales were at 65% which is well past the number required to build.

Sales are over 80% and construction will commence in May/June.

I hope this answers all questions.

The trouble I have with James Club, in fact, is that it ruins the freestanding setting of the Royal York Gardens apartments--one of the most underrated works of 60s Corbusiana in the city. (Even the doomed garage is integral to the setting, as can be seen from the overhead view.)

If they really had to build it, I wish they didn't choose something so standard condo-schlocky in design...

That is hilarious, however, it was designed by the same architect and he felt that The James Club actually does complement his design of Royal York Gardens.

James Club Condo

It looks like they are finally starting construction at this site.

Does any one have any updated pictures for this?

Passed by today and the parking garage has already been demolished. I'll try to get pics soon.

James Club

Just happened upon this thread, I lived in Royal York Gardens for 3 years and was searching for a pic for my son who was born while we were there but does not remember the place.

It's glory had faded a bit, but the grounds were probably the nicest of any building in Toronto, and every apartment has huge private patios, ours was overlooking the Humber Valley and was priceless. A fantastic outdoor pool too. It definitely was built at a time when doing things cheaply was not the number one priority. A real sense of community too, lots of original residents. Lots of greenspace and direct access to the valley from the grounds, even spotted a deer on the back lawn one day.

The only drawback was the trains, too loud to hear the TV and very frequent. I wonder how they are getting past that one with the new building, which is even closer to the tracks.

Anyway, I hope the new place does not destroy the feel of the Gardens, from the pics I find it hard to believe it was the same architect, a complementary curved building would have been more appropriate in my view, but that probably costs too much.

Very interesting thread for a former Etobicoke resident to browse.

?

Just happened upon this thread, I lived in Royal York Gardens for 3 years and was searching for a pic for my son who was born while we were there but does not remember the place.

It's glory had faded a bit, but the grounds were probably the nicest of any building in Toronto, and every apartment has huge private patios, ours was overlooking the Humber Valley and was priceless. A fantastic outdoor pool too. It definitely was built at a time when doing things cheaply was not the number one priority. A real sense of community too, lots of original residents. Lots of greenspace and direct access to the valley from the grounds, even spotted a deer on the back lawn one day.

The only drawback was the trains, too loud to hear the TV and very frequent. I wonder how they are getting past that one with the new building, which is even closer to the tracks.

Anyway, I hope the new place does not destroy the feel of the Gardens, from the pics I find it hard to believe it was the same architect, a complementary curved building would have been more appropriate in my view, but that probably costs too much.

Very interesting thread for a former Etobicoke resident to browse.

How often do you say that the trains come during a day? Do they come over night as well? On weekends?

THanks

Trains

Lots of GO trains in the morning and evening, you could check the schedule for that line for numbers. Several freight trains per day too, they were worse as they could go on for several minutes at a time and at a higher noise level.

The line was pretty quiet on weekends, seemed worse in the 5-9 pm time slot weekdays although they definitely passed by at all hours. My main memory is of the TV being drowned out in the evenings. Note that I was there 2003-2006, things may have changed.

We had two babies born while in that building, believe it or not the train noise seemed to soothe them!

Lots of GO trains in the morning and evening, you could check the schedule for that line for numbers. Several freight trains per day too, they were worse as they could go on for several minutes at a time and at a higher noise level.

The line was pretty quiet on weekends, seemed worse in the 5-9 pm time slot weekdays although they definitely passed by at all hours. My main memory is of the TV being drowned out in the evenings. Note that I was there 2003-2006, things may have changed.

We had two babies born while in that building, believe it or not the train noise seemed to soothe them!

Thank you for that, hopefully it wont be too loud!

Im just happy they started to do something with the construction, seems like something was wrong because the kept stalling.

Back