News   Apr 25, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Jack Layton 1950-2011 R.I.P.

I didn't always agree with everything Jack did - but I was really proud of him and his party during this last election. It's too bad he's gone now.
Condolences and best wishes to his family.

I'll miss Jack Layton. He was perhaps our strongest contributor, and we need his type, always. At times I agreed with his policies, and at other times I disagreed, but I never doubted that he had all of Toronto's interests in mind, all the time.

Condolences to his family. I hope others in public office are inspired by his passion.

EDIT: The New York Times reports:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/world/americas/23canada.html?_r=1&ref=world

Last edited:
He was my local M.P., and I always vote NDP.

I picked a nice big bunch of flowers from my back garden early this morning ( white, purple, mauve ... ) and added them to those covering the sidewalk outside his office on Broadview. Later, I signed the book at City Hall with some apt comments that compared him favourably - as the best Mayor Toronto never had - to the "divisive, anti-urban yahoos" currently running our city.

laytonchalk.jpg

Great shot. I saw the beginning of the chalk comments yesterday when I was there but I didn't stay long, my emotions got the better of me.

When I saw Jack in that press conference back in July, I knew it was terminal cancer. He already looked like on death's door. Didn't always agree with him but he seemed to have a air of integrity about him.

Although I disagree with most of his political and social views, he seemed like one of the few politicians in Canada that was sincere and actually believed in what he was saying to the Canadian public. Thus this is a great loss to Canada and its democracy.

RIP Jack Layton.

Great shot. I saw the beginning of the chalk comments yesterday when I was there but I didn't stay long, my emotions got the better of me.

Same here. Decided to stop by on my way home from work just to pay my respects and had to leave after 5 minutes. I voted NDP for the first time, like many others did, thanks to Jack. He was like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. His energy and optimism will truly be missed.

So I am giving this letter to my partner Olivia to share with you...
Of course Jack could use whatever terminology he wishes, but I would have liked to have seen him refer to Olivia as his wife. I know "partner" is politically correct, and I suppose respects those who won't or can't marry. However I can't imagine referring publicly in a letter published after my death to my wife as my partner. My wife would tell you she's earned the formal title, as has Olivia IMO.

Again, Jack can and did say whatever he wanted, it's a free world, and perhaps within the Layton family the husband/wife titles are never used, and they prefer the "partner" moniker, but to me it just doesn't sound right.

I have never agreed with his brand of politics, even though I do sincerely share concerns for the same groups of people that he cared about.

To me his legacy will always be a mixed one. I for one, will remember his opposition to subway expansion in the core, his party's opposition to the Clarity Act, and his advocacy for more seats in Quebec, at the expense of Toronto. He did a lot of good things for Toronto. But he did have his biases. And once he tasted power with the last election, he proved just as willing to sell out Toronto as politicians before him.

All that said, his personal character was flawless. And for that he most certainly deserves our accolades.

David Miller:

I am extremely saddened to receive the news of Jack Layton's passing and want to extend my condolences to Olivia and to Jack’s entire family.

I had the privilege of knowing Jack for 25 years, proudly serving with him at the City of Toronto before he was elected as a Member of Parliament.
Whether as a city councillor or as an MP, Jack always fought hard, and successfully, to make a better world for all Torontonians and Canadians.
As a councillor, his leadership in fighting against homelessness and for our environment both resulted in permanent change for the better.
He has left a national legacy not just as the most successful leader of the New Democratic Party, but as the former President of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) where he built a strong national consensus between urban and rural Canada, and between municipal politicians of all political parties resulting in national investment in Canada's cities and towns.
His progressive leadership - and his personal courage and relentless optimism - are going to be very much missed.

Bernie Farber:
"Jack Layton was a mench. I met him almost 25 years ago when i first came to Toronto. He was the ifrst [sic.] local politician I talked to and we remained in touch over all the years. We are alll lessened today by the loss of this Canadian patriot. Condolences to Olivia and the entire family. May his memory be for a blessing"

Irwin Cotler:
The Honourable Irwin Cotler, MP (Mount Royal) expressed his deep sorrow at today’s passing of Jack Layton, Leader of the Opposition. Said Cotler, “Canada has lost a great Parliamentarian, public servant, and advocate for social justice. Our thoughts and prayers are with Olivia and the Layton family at this difficult time”.

Cotler revealed that he and Layton shared a bond that formed when both men realized their fathers had battled prostate cancer. “When Jack initially announced his illness – and in discussion with him it came out that both our fathers had dealt with this disease – he said ‘My father beat it, and I will beat it’”.

Cotler continued, “He was a person of uncommon courage and determination. Even with the news of his new diagnosis, I believed and hoped, that once again, he would prevail”.

Cotler praised Layton’s political and Parliamentary prowess, saying, “Jack was a consummate Parliamentarian. People may not realize how often he would define the narrative of the day in the House and then take it to the public square. He had a unique talent to articulate the anxieties and hopes of ordinary Canadians, who came to know and love him as ‘Jack’. It was a privilege to serve in the House with him and to witness his indomitable spirit. We shall not see the likes of him again”.
http://irwincotler.liberal.ca/uncategorized/canada-has-lost-a-great-parliamentarian/

Mike Duffy:
He was the real deal,’’ said the former broadcaster Tuesday about the passing of the NDP leader a day earlier. “Jack Layton set a standard we should always aspire to and that is the high road is never the wrong road to take.”
Duffy was attending the unveiling of a Parks Canada designation plaque to recognize shipbuilding in this small eastern village Tuesday and reflected on the outpouring of respect the death of Layton has generated.
“He was always a high road person,” said the native Islander who spent decades as an Ottawa journalist before being appointed to the Senate. “He never attacked one person; he would argue politics vigorously, but he would never launch mean and narrow attacks. He was quite a remarkable guy.”
Duffy said the outpouring of sympathy across the country for Layton’s passing is indicative of how highly regarded he was by ordinary people, regardless of politic stripes.
“His letter to Canadians showed that Jack is such a brilliant, brilliant person. He had a connection with people and wanted to leave a message for us all, and for Quebeckers and for those suffering from cancer,’’ he said. “His empathy and understanding of the broad mass was quite remarkable.”

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2011-08-23/article-2721515/Layton-was-the-real-deal:-Duffy/1

Mel Hurtig:

There have been so many truly wonderful tributes to Jack Layton - editorials, columns, letters etc.- that it’s difficult to add more without covering much of what has already been said.
One thing we can all see is just how much the man has been loved by so very many of his fellow Canadians. He had his fingers on the pulse of Canadians. He not only understood the struggles and concerns of Canadians, he felt them, and he tirelessly fought for the changes that would make us a kinder and gentler nation.
Jack was a model of integrity and dignity. No matter how much he disagreed with his political opponents, he always took the high road and demonstrated that a different type of political discourse was possible in our country. He understood that true leadership uplifts, inspires and motivates with a vision of what is possible, not by efforts to diminish others.
I knew Jack for more than 30 years. We were good friends. He was very special. He was good, he was talented, he was honest and he was dedicated to making Canada a better country.
I will miss him enormously.
http://www.melhurtig.ca

Carolyn Bennett:
A condolence book for Jack Layton has been set-up in my Constituency Office, 1650 Yonge Street. I will also bring the condolence book to the Wychwood Barns this Saturday from 9am-12pm.

Our deepest sympathies to Olivia and Michael and Sarah and their families and to the NDP caucus and NDP families. Their loss is a loss for all Canadians.
http://carolynbennett.liberal.ca/blog/jack-layton-has-left-us-canada-has-suffered-a-terrible-loss/

John Tory:
http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/john+tory+on+laytons+passing/video.html?v=2102505122#top+stories

Mel Lastman:
"We lost a great man, a man who probably could have become the prime minister of Canada," former mayor Mel Lastman said.

"He would have been a great prime minister," Lastman added.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...toronto-politicians-mourn-jack-layton-s-death

Last edited:
Twitter reports are that the CN Tower will be lit orange on Saturday night in Jack's memory

It's unlikely that Jack, his partner, or anyone else gives a flying fig what you think.
Of course he wouldn't care what you, me or anyone says or think about what he calls his wife - I only mention this because if it were me, I would care. That said, I believe that Jack wrote and asked Olivia to publish the posthumous letter in order to stir some thinking about what he wrote, and chose his words very carefully. He's referred to Olivia as his wife in the past, and chose not to this one last time, and this would have been intentional. Anyway, I didn't mean to make a big deal of this - I apologise for the distraction.

I'll definitely miss Jack. I will honestly say that I voted NDP in the last Federal election, and it was for two reasons. First I had to send a message to Rae that even in my downtown riding the Liberals were not safe. Second, and more importantly, I voted NDP because I liked and respected Jack Layton. And this is from a pretty conservatively minded guy, though I voted Liberal when Martin first ran as PM, but Conservative the election after that, I just could not vote for Iggy. Next election I'm voting NDP again, in tribute of Jack Layton and his good spirit and optimism.

Last edited:

Back