News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.7K     3 

It's dog eat dog in the condo rental wars

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting...I'd hate being one looking for an apartment here in the GTA.:eek:

The market for rental condos is becoming almost as hot as Toronto’s resale housing market with bidding wars breaking out among tenants trying to snag prime units.

While some 21,000 units are now under construction in Toronto — 5,707 of them in the downtown core — demand for rental condominiums continues to far outstrip supply, housing experts say.

That’s driving some tenants to offer up to six months’ rent in advance, or more rent than condo-owners are asking, especially for increasingly rare two-bedroom units.

In fact, the condo rental market has become so fiercely competitive the last year in particular that would-be tenants are being urged to not even look at prime downtown units without bringing along a printout of their credit rating, proof of their annual salary and a willingness to pay more rent if need be.

“It’s a form of key money,” acknowledges realtor Brad Lamb who put a new, 480-square-foot studio up for rent last week and had three takers within three hours.

One 26-year-old man offered $1425 a month — $30 more than Lamb was asking — and agreed to have his mother co-sign the lease as security.

Lamb expects to see similar offers on 12 other studio units he plans to rent out soon, all of them in the King St. W. and Stafford St. Parc Lofts and Condos building his company, Lamb Development Corp., has just built.

“It’s not just bidding for price, this means that as landlords we’re able to pick excellent quality tenants from a credit standpoint as well,” says Lamb.

More.........http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/986884--it-s-dog-eat-dog-in-the-condo-rental-wars

Last edited:
Interesting...I'd hate being one looking for an apartment here in the GTA.:eek:

The market for rental condos is becoming almost as hot as Toronto’s resale housing market with bidding wars breaking out among tenants trying to snag prime units.

While some 21,000 units are now under construction in Toronto — 5,707 of them in the downtown core — demand for rental condominiums continues to far outstrip supply, housing experts say.

That’s driving some tenants to offer up to six months’ rent in advance, or more rent than condo-owners are asking, especially for increasingly rare two-bedroom units.

In fact, the condo rental market has become so fiercely competitive the last year in particular that would-be tenants are being urged to not even look at prime downtown units without bringing along a printout of their credit rating, proof of their annual salary and a willingness to pay more rent if need be.

“It’s a form of key money,†acknowledges realtor Brad Lamb who put a new, 480-square-foot studio up for rent last week and had three takers within three hours.

One 26-year-old man offered $1425 a month — $30 more than Lamb was asking — and agreed to have his mother co-sign the lease as security.

Lamb expects to see similar offers on 12 other studio units he plans to rent out soon, all of them in the King St. W. and Stafford St. Parc Lofts and Condos building his company, Lamb Development Corp., has just built.

“It’s not just bidding for price, this means that as landlords we’re able to pick excellent quality tenants from a credit standpoint as well,†says Lamb.

More.........http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/986884--it-s-dog-eat-dog-in-the-condo-rental-wars

If they are quoting Brad Lamb of Lamb Development Corp., then, instinctively, you know the story is completely false and without a grain of truth.

Yes the rental and real estate market is hot, but this article sounds over-exaggerated. Some neighborhoods will have higher demand than others simply of lack of rental inventory and new developments.

I don't think there is a huge demand for 2-bedroom rentals as described here. I have seen many 2-bedroom units for rent sitting on the market for much longer than 1-bedroom units, mostly because they are asking for a lot more for them.
With every completion of a large condo development, a good number of those units will be released into the rental market by an investor, so I think there is a steady stream of new condos to properly feed the need of rentals.

Brad Lamb is simply trying to encourage people to buy condos as a sound good investment. Remember he's a salesperson.

Geez! I just did a quick check to see what my unit is going for in my building (2+1, 2 bath), and I can get $2500/month. My mortgage + condo fees are only 1800/month. Thats $700 a month in profit!

A 1+1 is going for $1850! Thats more than my condo fees and mortgage payment/month, and for a smaller unit! You can probably buy the place and pay less, minus the down payment of course.

Last edited:
Geez! I just did a quick check to see what my unit is going for in my building (2+1, 2 bath), and I can get $2500/month. My mortgage + condo fees are only 1800/month. Thats $700 a month in profit!

A 1+1 is going for $1850! Thats more than my condo fees and mortgage payment/month, and for a smaller unit! You can probably buy the place and pay less, minus the down payment of course.

How much equity did you put down? Does that include all utilities? Hydro/Gas/Water? How about a management fee and vacancy reserve? Repairs?

You omit relevant data if you truly want to compare apples with apples.

How much equity did you put down? Does that include all utilities? Hydro/Gas/Water? How about a management fee and vacancy reserve? Repairs?

You omit relevant data if you truly want to compare apples with apples.

Im not trying to compare anything. Just shocked at how much a unit is going for in my building.

If you can get that much rent at City Place, I am sure you can get higher rent somewhere else. And that means time to purchase condos as an investment?

Tuscani01: did you also include property tax? that works to about $200/month. I really doubt an average small family would rent an apartment for $2500/month. Does that include parking and storage?

It's just a bunch of realtors praying on newcomers and novices and artificially a bunch of naive young professionals.

the rental market is very hot. I don't know about people paying more (that's pretty stpuid) but if you have a newer condo in he downtown core you shouldn't have any problems getting your price.

Anecdotally I had the exact things mentioned in the article happen to me...its a cityplace bldg (shocker, lol)...the 373 matrix bldg...was tenanted @ 1,500 until March 2012 but current tenants asked to be released from the lease as 1/2 of the couple was going back home to be with her sick mother in europe...i obliged to release as long as someone took over the lease at minimum same rent....tenant was kind enough to take the lead on showing the place and forwarding me the serious inquiries...had 2 very serious offers after first day for a November move in...final selection offered 1550 with 6 months up front....after closing another couple that I hadnt gotten back to indicated that they were willing to go up to 1550 to distinguish themselves from other prospects...asking rent was listed at 1500

Maybe i got lucky, or maybe rentals are hot. With all the supply in the pipeline though, I cant see it continuing like this though. But from an investment perspective, a good rental market means that investors arent going to dump properties if the market starts to correct/drop in values, so perhaps that mitigates risk of large correction occurring?

Tuscani01: did you also include property tax? that works to about $200/month. I really doubt an average small family would rent an apartment for $2500/month. Does that include parking and storage?

$200/month is too low for 2+1 bdrm property taxes. That sounds more like a 1+1 property tax.

If I had $50K for a downpayment on a condo rental investment I'd more likely put it in bank stock. We're seeing really historically low values on the TSX right now. As long as you're looking long term the profit on your $50K will grow faster than if you'd put it towards a $300K unit.

$200/month is too low for 2+1 bdrm property taxes. That sounds more like a 1+1 property tax.

$200 a month is exactly what I pay for property taxes for the 2+1. Its lower than $200 for a 1+1.

$200 a month is exactly what I pay for property taxes for the 2+1. Its lower than $200 for a 1+1.

That's odd. Am I over assessed or is your condo much older than mine? I pay around $210/month on property taxes for 1+1, 4 yr old condo.

Last edited:

Back