News   May 13, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     2 

Islington Subway Station

How much longer until this station just collapses onto itself? Another bus bay has been closed for about a week now.

Wasn't that the bay where the Mississauga Transit bus attempted to take out a staircase?

Dan

Oh...is that what happened? Crazy. I assumed it was another structural issue, or all of the water/ice that was coming down from the ceiling.

If it is in fact the same bay - a Mississauga Transit bus about a week ago somehow rode onto the platform and managed to smash across one of the staircases, causing one of the concrete surrounds to sustain some major damage. It's likely going to take a couple of weeks for them to clean up the damage and rebuild the surround.

Dan

Reactions: vic
The last few posting in the Kipling Hub Thread should be move to this thread.

The layout posted in the Kipling Thread is what I last saw for TTC location and road system. Based on what I saw and heard, TTC was only looking at 3/4 bus platform to service TTC current routes as well a possible Mississauga route since a large number work in the area and doesn't force riders to pay for a one stop ride. It was to allow for a drop off/pickup area as well for taxis.

One forgets that part of the new TTC location is under Hydro Transmission lines and doesn't leaves much room for a building over the new TTC location.

As for plan development, it was a given something was going to be built there, but by who and what was unknown until now.

Those who currently park there now will have to go to Kipling as there will be no parking there by the looks of things unless underground without effecting the current station. Don't see that happening.

Days after Mississauga moves to Kipling, TTC buses will use the south platform. It will also mean closing parts of the parking lot as well the current drop off area to allow for construction to get underway for building the new bus terminal and entrance.

Another entrance needs to be built as part of the new development and agree all buildings are 5 meters setback from the street edge. It would be nice to see a grocery store as part of the new development for the site as one is badly needed for the area now and other development coming to the area. You could build that grocery store over the new TTC bus terminal area.

True enough Wellesley, Eglinton, and Sherbourne all slipped my mind somehow. My main point though, is that the TTC/city hasnt been doing a good job at leveraging their existing property for development to take place overtop.

There's no reason why stations like St.Geroge, Spadina, and others have seen no development overtop. Of course there would be certain engineering challenges of performing such a task, but it's still a feasible endeavor.
TTC in the past has gone after office towers over their stations and been prepare to wait as much as 25 years plus until one show up. Today, TTC has to declare land as surplus to the city, with the city now going to built X on those lands.

After the SNC-Lavalin mess for Islington and looking city wide, I been expecting to see residental towers being built on these lands now since there is no need for office towers in a fair number of locations. Since the city wants to build affordably housing, this site as well a few other will see affordably housing build on these sites. You could do mix development that allows for some office spaces

There is no reason in most cases why X can be built on top of stations, other forcing TTC to do so. Look at the Davisville yard and how long has there been talk about building X over the whole yard. Same can be said for Greenwood Yard. TTC has already allow development over their tracks and in most cases, more can be done as well.

A lot of these sites can be mid rise with 50% or less parking requirement starting with Islington.

Will be no bid deal for me to park at Kipling on the weekend at times once the north side open later this year, as it will be a shorter trip doing so.

IslingtonSTN.jpg

"Michelin Man" by Bangkok

When is this scheduled to be levelled?
they put up new fences in the last week or so and moved in some sort of construction trailer but no indication of what they're doing. The bus bay is supossed to be moving to the north east part of the parking lot, would think they would buid that before removing the old one.

Back