News   Jul 15, 2024
 676     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 853     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     0 

Islington Subway Station

Why not both? Lots of cases where office and transport hubs coincide out there...

I think the problem is that Islington/Bloor is seen as being a potential mini downdown (a'la Y/E, NYCC, etc. To do that, much of Islington station should be heading underground. By moving MT to Kipling (which is designated as a regional hub) the demand for bus bay will be reduced.

Kipling is fine as the hub as it's the end of the subway line and should behave much like Finch does for the north/central region.

If I was an SNC-Lavalin shareholder, I'd be wondering how come the firm I'm investing need a new HQ since it has been waiting on this Islington site for years now... The only answer that has made sense to me is that it was a Blue22 trade off.

Why not both? Lots of cases where office and transport hubs coincide out there...

The streets are too congested with Mississauga buses - get transit underground farther west. I'm glad MT will be moving to Kipling, but would be happier if a new station were being built at the East Mall/427 with new dedicated bus access ramps between the station and the 427. Doing that might even mean that Dundas could reduced to a 4 lane street east of 427, which would really aid in the revitalization and desuburbanization of that strip in the future.

Why not build a transitway from Kipling subway north following the hydro ROW to the 401?

That way all buses will no longer have to use Dundas and the 427, saving time and allowing Dundas to be narrowed and urbanized.

I think the problem is that Islington/Bloor is seen as being a potential mini downdown (a'la Y/E, NYCC, etc. To do that, much of Islington station should be heading underground. By moving MT to Kipling (which is designated as a regional hub) the demand for bus bay will be reduced.

Kipling is fine as the hub as it's the end of the subway line and should behave much like Finch does for the north/central region.

Moving the MT terminal hub to Kipling is ill-planned and premature. The very GO line that passes by Kipling, also runs by Islington Stn. Only dif, interchnge between the two systems would've been seamless, try saying the same for the current matrix at Kipling at the westernmost exit resulting in a very long walk for boarders on the far-right of trains.

Also being at the end of the line, MT/GO commuters boarding at Kipling would be forced to await the arrival of one eastbound, pray it's not out-of-service, have it parked there for upto five minutes, than await another train to depart with a very slow approach to the next station.

Street life in the Six-Points vicinity is sub-par. It comes as no surprise that some passengers exit Islington and go into the Clarica Centre to do some on the way shopping or buy a decent meal (does Kipling even have a shopping concourse a la Islington?).

Don't even get me started on how to overcome the massive gridlock that'll result from adding 16 MT routes to same general area as 12 TTC routes, when at least routes 3, 11, 20 and 26 could bypass that part of Dundas. Oh and yeah, elevating Bloor/Islington to city-centre status, which employs alot of Mississauga residents hence destination, only to take away the blood vessels feeding its heart is beyond dumb.

So for all those reasons plus the likelihood that the BD line will extend even further west by which a new terminal will have to built to accomodate MT vehicles, it appears that the Kipling reno was millions wasted on nothing.

I wish you were right about the likelihood of a BD extension westward, but it doesn't seem the TTC is planning for anything in that regard, at least not since RTES.

This coming Sat Open House for Kipling and Ilsington has been cancel from the notice I received today.

The streets are too congested with Mississauga buses - get transit underground farther west. I'm glad MT will be moving to Kipling, but would be happier if a new station were being built at the East Mall/427 with new dedicated bus access ramps between the station and the 427. Doing that might even mean that Dundas could reduced to a 4 lane street east of 427, which would really aid in the revitalization and desuburbanization of that strip in the future.42
Steve Munro (of all people) has stated he could support a westward extension to The East Mall.

The TTCs figures for a Sherway extension are very large although even Steve Munro raised his eyebrows at the fact that the lines were budgeted as underground rather than surface like Islington-Kipling.

I doubt Sherway. I just remember reading once that he could support a surface subway to the West Mall / 427 area (as it makes too much bloody sense). I think he's also pro-Yonge expansion, but only one stop to Steeles. He must base it on helping surface routes and keeping the costs minimal.

Considering all the stuff they're building there, and East Mall extension makes so much sense. Unfortunately, the TTC has inexplicably decided that all subways must now be built underground. There's no reason why they couldn't do the whole thing for <$100 million, running on the surface and perhaps either expropriating a bit of a condo's driveway or shifting the mainline tracks slightly. Instead, the TTC decides that building on the surface in a rail corridor, as they did 15 years ago from Islington to Kipling, is impossible.

Considering all the stuff they're building there, and East Mall extension makes so much sense. Unfortunately, the TTC has inexplicably decided that all subways must now be built underground. There's no reason why they couldn't do the whole thing for <$100 million, running on the surface and perhaps either expropriating a bit of a condo's driveway or shifting the mainline tracks slightly. Instead, the TTC decides that building on the surface in a rail corridor, as they did 15 years ago from Islington to Kipling, is impossible.

It's a "Cant-Do" attitude rather than a "Can-Do" attitude.

A new date has been set for the Kipling/Islington Open House and it is April 22 from 4-7pm

It will be held in the concourse level of Islington Station.

Board viewing only.

Back