News   Mar 28, 2024
 418     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 322     0 

Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts (Queen's, Kingston, Snohetta)

Kingston? That's considered GTA now? Hmm.

Looks like a really cool building though. I like it's futuristic style. Except for that portion on the left that looks like a skinny barn. What the heck is that? Would look much better without that part on it. Unless that's the already existing Stella Buck building that's mentioned...

It is indeed the Stella Buck Building, constructed in the 1830s as part of Morton Brewery, the origins of the site. Not pictured, but to the right (east) of the building is another similar historic building (the J.K. Tett Creativity Centre) that is also part of the complex.

PACNorth.png

PACLobby.png

PACSouth.png

PACSouthNight.png

PACWest.png

PACHall.png

Source

Construction update to follow...

The exterior looks kind of boring and unimagined, but the interior of the hall looks amazing! Not sure if that's supposed to be wood or stone (I'll guess wood,) but the design look spectacular.

25 July 2014: Finally got to explore Kingston in detail--nice historic downtown that could teach Toronto's suburbs (and Kingston's 'burbs as well) how to do an urban streetwall properly--no need to go to Berlin, planners!)--so by chance drove past
9ssSJxJ.jpg

AufwNRl.jpg

mH7JReP.jpg

GJG4xvM.jpg

At the time I failed to recognize what I was staring at so didn't get the money shot ... water view.

25 July 2014: Finally got to explore Kingston in detail--nice historic downtown that could teach Toronto's suburbs (and Kingston's 'burbs as well) how to do an urban streetwall properly--no need to go to Berlin, planners!)--so by chance drove past

Umm... Toronto's burbs also have historic downtowns with nice street walls. Its the new post war stuff that looks terrible, and Kingston is no better than Toronto in this area.

This is Kingston's waterfront, right next to downtown:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.2260...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKVobBGsPPo1xla-ZfxXs4Q!2e0

I know this isn't Kingston, or the Bader/Snohetta project, but here's another interesting development at Queen's University in Kingston.

Back