News   Mar 28, 2024
 503     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 401     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 743     0 

Is there any dressing/clothing style associated with Toronto in particular?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know occasionally people will talk about how different people dress somewhat differently in various world cities. Of course, nowadays fashion trends spread so quickly but people still speak of differences within North America (eg. California or the West coast US's more casual dressing style vs. the East coast).

Are there any ways of dressing that stand out as Torontonian?

I know occasionally people will talk about how different people dress somewhat differently in various world cities. Of course, nowadays fashion trends spread so quickly but people still speak of differences within North America (eg. California or the West coast US's more casual dressing style vs. the East coast).

Toronto's vernacular clothing style is very much identical to very much every other city in North America.

We don't count jerseys of Toronto sports teams, as they have identical styles with all other jerseys for the respective sports in other North American cities (but with different colours and logos for different teams).

Despite its name, Canadian tuxedos are almost never worn in Toronto (except by those with a poor fashion sense, those who don't have any other good/appropriate clothes available, or those who do so for humorous/acting/trick-or-treating purposes) and Canadian tuxedos and Texan tuxedos are essentially identical to the point of being completely interchangeable.

Last edited:

!
spats.png

Spats are THE new thing.....

Attachments

• spats.png
    spats.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 560
Is there any dressing/clothing style associated with Toronto in particular?

I believe the short, concise answer to that question is: No.

There are a multitude of different urban styles in the city, I don't think it's possible to declare any one particular style 'Toronto'. With the diverse background of people in the city, coupled with the diverse cultural/musical/social tastes of Torontonians, it really is a fashion smorgasbord.

What about those Canada Goose jackets that everyone seems to wear even when it's not cold outside?

There's a lot of them around in the winter these past few years, but who knows how long that will last?

To the extent that it represents immigrants to Toronto mythologizing the wilderness north of Toronto and monetizing it, anything from Roots is quintessentially Toronto. I know they sell themselves and their wares as Canadian, but it's really about Torontonians yearning to get to a lake two hours north of the city.

But that's all I can think of. And it's arguably just a brand, not a style, although some might disagree.

And it's arguably just a brand, not a style, although some might disagree.

It's definitely a brand.

An interesting experiment would be to remove the "Canada Goose" patches and sell the jackets for the same price, with all the same marketing promoting the superior quality. Even if you discounted the jackets, I wonder how many would buy them sans logo.

IMO, people are just paying for the "CG" logo/patch and the "look at me, see what I've got" effect.

There used to be a lot of music-based subcultures in the 80/90's such as "Goths", "Mods", "Ravers", "Rockers", "Housers", "Skaters" and "Preps" etc. that were perhaps not entirely Toronto-based but they were easily recognizable by seeing them together in school or on the street. When Hip-Hop was emerging, there was a more distinct clothing style and culture but nowadays, kids who are into Hip-Hop look very similar to those who like Pop music.

Maybe I'm old and out of the loop, but I don't really see any unique clothing styles, subcultures or similar groups in Toronto. I think a few years ago, the "Hipster" look was big but it wasn't tied to any big music movement or any specific styles or brands. It was just being "quirky" or "weird" for the sake of it.

I feel that fashion and style are being homogenized and most millennials look basically the same whatever music or thing they are into. When I walk through some big chain shops popular with young people, the clothing looks all the same whatever the store.

But hey, if you know what the big subcultures and styles are with the kids in Toronto these days, please let me know :)

Back