News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 602     0 

Is term 'Canadian' used as racist word?

I have no doubt whatsoever that if these people had been born in 1910's Germany, they would have been very enthusiastic Nazis of the worst sort.
The American Nazi group was quite large in the 1930s, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_Bund

I generally try not to speak on race, but I will freely admit that there is a strong amount of White Privilege in both Canada and the USA. By WP, I'm referring to how, first of all, I do not identify myself as white, but just as myself, the individual. Whereas, I believe, many minorities seem themselves first as part of a group. Secondly, through WP, I know that I get better service from businesses, better job offers, and my kids may get better education in school, and we have an automatic respect and trust of police and authority, and our arrival on a white-populated street or community isn't looked upon with suspicion or derision by the white locals (this would have certainly been the case, IMO, had I been black when I moved to the Maritimes).

Thus, knowing how I benefit from WP, I'm generally fine with affirmative action, and companies that only hire their own racial groups. I've got several friends with companies in Toronto that only hire Chinese, since they're Chinese themselves and prefer to work in that language. Go to the airport and you can clearly tell that there is an informal Sikh-dominant hiring practice. Myself, I know at least one employer where I worked for several years, who would never have hired a minority over me, thus definitely narrowing the competition to my favour.

So, how did we end up with White Privilege? The same way we have Asian, Jewish, Sikh and other privilege; people looked after their own communities. Will we ever end up with the end of White Privilege? I don't think so, as we (white folk) IMO don't even know we're doing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege_(sociology)

Back