2.4K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 597     0 

Is term 'Canadian' used as racist word?

Venti de Milo

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
FYI, I'm a non-Canadian Canadian. But my hair and my eyes are Canadian though. I also have Canadian Canadian friends. Canadian Canadians are considered a minority...but many non-Canadian Canadians are minorities too. Get it? Damn, that's confusing.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/297666

Is "Canadian" the new black? Perhaps – that is if you're a racist speaking in code.

Recent revelations that the term "Canadian" is being used to replace racist names for black people have got a Texas assistant district attorney into trouble and have left others wondering what exactly it means to be labelled a Canadian in the American south.

Long derogated as weak-kneed liberals with lax laws and funny monopoly money, Canadians have carried a negative connotation in certain regions of America – but not as a replacement for the N-word.

Earlier this week a columnist with the Houston Chronicle uncovered an email from Harris County assistant district attorney Mike Trent who, in a congratulatory note to a junior prosecutor, used the word "Canadians" to describe blacks on a jury.

Trent wrote of the prosecutor in a 2003 email: "He overcame a subversively good defence by Matt Hennessey that had some Canadians on the jury feeling sorry for the defendant and forced them to do the right thing."

Trent's email remained unchallenged by colleagues who received the email, despite there being no actual Canadians on the jury.

But when Trent's office came under scrutiny this month over an unrelated incident, the email was unearthed, leaving Trent open to accusations of bigotry.

Those accusations are grounded in allegations that the use of "Canadians" was in keeping with the definition listed on an online racial slurs database that defines "Canadian" as a masked replacement for the N-word.

In his own defence, Trent said he honestly thought there had been Canadians on the jury and did not understand the negative connotation of the word.

Others, including the columnist with the Houston Chronicle initially thought the reference to Canadians may have been a misspelling of Californians, who are themselves seen to espouse many of the same liberal values as Canadians.

Despite the controversy, Henry Wells, a Texan and media relations officer with the Canadian Consulate General in Dallas, says he has never heard the term used in a racial manner before.

Canadian? Racist? PLEASE!!!!

Canadian as a racist term? Can I place this in the YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME category? My half cent here....LI MIKE

Somehow, I've got this inspired vision of a Wayans Brothers remake of "Strange Brew" going through my head...

I think that the article's assumed interpretation of 'Canadian' as 'Black' is stretching it. From the context, it sounds more like the term 'Canadian' was being used as a substitute for the term 'week-kneed liberal' (in other words somebody who does not subscribe to a highly punitive 'tough-on-crime' attitude), because of the fairly well-known difference in national cultures between the USA and Canada.

Bill

This meaning has been documented by UrbanDictionary for at least a year:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=canadian

As this use is "code" for black people in a particular context, it also has nothing to do with Canada or Canadians, and doesn't warrant all these attempts at a logical explanation. They just as well may have picked Belgians or Panamanians.

Apparently the term Canadian is used by the Atlanta police farce to refer to black suspects. According to my southern sources it is quite a common practice.

Wow, who needs Bobby Gimby
300px-Fresh_Hare.JPG

Apparently the term Canadian is used by the Atlanta police farce to refer to black suspects. According to my southern sources it is quite a common practice.

I guess that means when one is in Georgia, is white, and gets pulled over by the cops, even a passport will leave lingering doubts in the mind of the trooper as to your true identity.

Wow, racists have adopted code lingo in lieu of the N-word so they can't outright be fired on suspicion of verbal harassment. This is not surprising. What is, Canada's tolerance and plurality is viewed as something abnormal and unamerican by Southerners. They need to take a good hard look at how the media protrays them as hicks and hillbillies, before discriminating against anyone.

This is not surprising. What is, Canada's tolerance and plurality is viewed as something abnormal and unamerican by Southerners.
Actually, that does not surprise me in the least. I once had the misfortune of visiting a messageboard populated by 'Southern' posters, and I was dumbfounded by the level of hatred shown against anybody who did not subscribe to their far-right (by our standards) political views. They quite literally considered Canadian-style pluralism and tolerance to be Godless, probably Communist-inspired, and definitely evil.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if these people had been born in 1910's Germany, they would have been very enthusiastic Nazis of the worst sort.

I wonder if the Atlanta Police call their Chief and mayor Canadians too?

Am I wrong to also assume half the Altanta Police force is made up of Canadians..?

euphemisms - hiding something and destroying the english language one word at a time.

today you ask for balls and you never know what you're gonna get. remember the days when balls used to be things you can slap around and have fun with? when we were kids, my friends and i used to kick each others balls around. one time jim threw his balls and one of them landed in bob's mouth. we had the gayest of times.

:confused:

Back