News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 606     0 

Is Dundas East secretly transforming?

Unfortunately, we need homeless shelters, and frankly, I am more interested in the needs of those who have nothing than in the aspirations of developers, who have the rest of the city to exploit.

Unfortunately, we need homeless shelters, and frankly, I am more interested in the needs of those who have nothing than in the aspirations of developers, who have the rest of the city to exploit.

so it is a good idea to put all the poor people together? We do need homeless shelters, just need to spread them around the city to avoid the ghetto effect. Rosedale, Queen's Park, Forest Hill, Yorkville, the Annex all should get a shelter each.

"Bordered by Carlton St. to the north, Parliament St. to the east, Queen St. to the south and Jarvis St. to the west — an area less than one square kilometre in size — this tiny quadrant of the city harbours three of the city’s largest homeless shelters, 32 legal rooming houses and 14 suspected illegal ones, more than a dozen abandoned lots and buildings, and one of the largest clusters of social housing in the city."

Developers contribute to the economy by creating jobs and living space. Can't say the same to the homeless. You talk as if making money itself is a sin and should be despised.

Last edited:
I thought that I read something about a month ago that suggested one of the homeless shelters along Dundas East was going to close. I looked online but can't find anything. Did anyone else see anything?

Last edited:

Did you even read this thread before making your uniformed post. Not one single person has stated that we don't need homeless shelters, they have instead correctly asserted that they should be spread throughout the city so as not to form a getto. Better for the city, and better for the homeless, as hoplessness surrounded by hoplessness only begets more hopelessness.

Did you even read this thread before making your uniformed post. Not one single person has stated that we don't need homeless shelters, they have instead correctly asserted that they should be spread throughout the city so as not to form a getto. Better for the city, and better for the homeless, as hoplessness surrounded by hoplessness only begets more hopelessness.

it is not just the 4-5 shelters congregated into one small pocket of land. The government also decided to put all the social housing, a few giant blocks of subsidized apartments including what is called "Moss Park Apartments" and 191 Sherbourne, 201 Sherbourne, 155 Sherbourne, into the same area. Essentially we deliberately created a ghetto and made sure that it will undoubtedly turn out to be a ghetto, about 1km away from the very center of the city (NPS, Eaton Centre, Yonge st, etc)

The city even went as far as disconnecting Berkeley St, Ontario St and Seaton st, just to make sure those poor people will surely be close to each other, not separated by a single street.
I am appalled by those 6 giant apartment buildings, which essentially is a death penalty to the area bound by Queen, Shuter, Sherbourne and Parliament.

The transformation of Dundas East has been a gradual and no doubt a much welcomed process. I wouldn't consider it a "secret" though, with Ryerson's emergence and expansion being the main factor in the area's progression. Many of the food places along this stretch are catering to the university crowd.

The Dundas/Mutual & Dundas/Jarvis parking lots have been purchased by Ryerson for future buildings, further solidifying its presence in the district. The other planned new student residence spaces will also contribute to the area, increasing the demand for even more retail and services. I also remembered reading about a rumoured condo development for the Pizza Pizza site at Church, but that may be a long time away.

The question I pose is: is Dundas East transforming or would it be better to describe the phenomenon as a general rise in tides spilling over and lifting up Dundas East with it?

For example it could be argued that Leslieville is an example of transformation not just spill-over because it has changed both physically and in our imaginations. It is no longer just a down on it's luck area upwind of the largest sewage treatment facility in the country, it is now a model of young urban professional gentrification and we just ignore the rest.

Two parcels of land on the southeast corner of Jarvis and Dundas have just been put up for sale: 175-189 Dundas St. E and 235 Jarvis Street.

The question I pose is: is Dundas East transforming or would it be better to describe the phenomenon as a general rise in tides spilling over and lifting up Dundas East with it?

For example it could be argued that Leslieville is an example of transformation not just spill-over because it has changed both physically and in our imaginations. It is no longer just a down on it's luck area upwind of the largest sewage treatment facility in the country, it is now a model of young urban professional gentrification and we just ignore the rest.

This, I'm afraid

Back