News   Nov 18, 2019
 338     0 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 446     3 

Ion Light Rail (Kitchener-Waterloo) & King/Victoria Transit Terminal

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe that is what we will see; some of those areas with new higher density buildings due to the LRT demand.
That's certainly planned, and in fact people are already speculating on real estate for where Line 2 (projected for 2040s) is suspected to run. The market here is aggressive and a certain part of me would much rather see redevelopment fall in Cambridge, where most of the built environment has no social or heritage value. Kitchener's downtown really suffered with misguided "urban renewal" attempts in the 70s-2000s that just resulted in more parking lots. That said I think the unfortunate realities of Cambridge are that the built environment in many areas after redevelopment is going to end up being more like Mississauga than Toronto, with pretty low walkability, and more high rises along million-lane curved arterial roads. It's hard to fix that stuff without reconfiguring the street network, which isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's certainly planned, and in fact people are already speculating on real estate for where Line 2 (projected for 2040s) is suspected to run. The market here is aggressive and a certain part of me would much rather see redevelopment fall in Cambridge, where most of the built environment has no social or heritage value. Kitchener's downtown really suffered with misguided "urban renewal" attempts in the 70s-2000s that just resulted in more parking lots. That said I think the unfortunate realities of Cambridge are that the built environment in many areas after redevelopment is going to end up being more like Mississauga than Toronto, with pretty low walkability, and more high rises along million-lane curved arterial roads. It's hard to fix that stuff without reconfiguring the street network, which isn't likely to happen any time soon.
Will the Cambridge extension make it to Galt?

MidtownKW

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its terminus will be downtown Galt. It serves all three former towns that comprise Cambridge.

Edit: Or comes close, anyway. I don't know how far north the boundary between North Galt and Hespeler was fifty years ago, but I think it was Pinebush. I also guess that Blair is not being served.

Last edited:

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its terminus will be downtown Galt. It serves all three former towns that comprise Cambridge.

Edit: Or comes close, anyway. I don't know how far north the boundary between North Galt and Hespeler was fifty years ago, but I think it was Pinebush. I also guess that Blair is not being served.
Blair is on the other side of the 401 from Doon and is actually served pretty well relative to its size due to proximity to Conestoga College. I personally think that Conestoga transit is a mess and the Region missed a critical opportunity with its Homer Watson Blvd reconstruction in not adding bus lanes or at least a transit priority signal. Density is rapidly increasing there but the traffic around the college and 401 are so bad buses can sometimes end up being delayed longer than their actual run (the 110 is a 15 minute single stop express between Fairway and the college, but can get delayed up to 20 minutes in traffic at rush hour). The 201 extension has improved transit in the area enormously and alleviated the 110 to the point where it's no longer the most overcrowded route in the GRT system. I really wish LRT to the college was justifiable but ION isn't the kind of system that will ever get spur lines, and a loop/short line wouldn't really make sense. That said there's a lot of rapidly densification happening around places like Pioneer Park Plaza, Forest Glen, etc, and 201 ridership around there is high. Articulated buses around there will help when they come in.