News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 865     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Would it appease your nitpicking if I reworded it to "The horizontal bars aren't being used for any vehicle traffic on the roads, so it doesn't really matter that they aren't in the Handbook"? Because, really, you should have been able work out what I was meaning by that synecdoche. That vertical baron the traffic lights is for traffic in the lanes of the road governed by that traffic signal. The tram signals are not for vehicles on the roads so it doesn't matter whether they are vertical and horizontal bars, the Elder Futhark, or Sumerian cuneiform, and not knowing what they mean does not impact the driver's ability to operate their vehicle in a safe manner. They don;t need to be in the Drivers Handbook.

But they can be used by transit buses. Though in the rest of the world they wouldn't use it as Toronto uses it.

For buses, they use transit priority. For streetcars, no.

But they can be used by transit buses.

The vertical bar, when it's part on a signal mast meant for the road, as in your video, OK. But that's not we're talking about here.

Your original comment was about the horizontal bar on the tram signal masts. Those are completely irrelevant to drivers on the road, it doesn't matter what they are. Thus, they do not need to be in the drivers handbook

It has finally happened up by the university.

I can't imagine what the driver/passengers or the poor guy's family is going through.

I can't imagine what the driver/passengers or the poor guy's family is going through.

Ideally there were no passengers as the first southbound revenue trip departs Conestoga at 5:06 a.m. and the first northbound from Fairway at 5:30 a.m.

My thoughts are definitely with the operator and the pedestrian's family though. I never thought it would happen this soon.

It has finally happened up by the university.

Not where I expected at all as Columbia doesn't have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially I imagine at 5am. Sad to say but it was probably intentional.

Not where I expected at all as Columbia doesn't have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially I imagine at 5am. Sad to say but it was probably intentional.

It was actually not at the intersection but about 150m north of the intersection, so this person would have been intentionally walking down the tracks.

It was actually not at the intersection but about 150m north of the intersection, so this person would have been intentionally walking down the tracks.

Also of note is that the Laurel Trail runs parallel to these tracks just 20 meters to the west, and a series of linked parking lots 20 meters to the east. There's no practical reason for a person even to have been on the tracks, as they're not a shortcut to anything in the area. :(

Last edited:
I wonder- in light of the issues around intermodality and the shift in platform location in the newest schemes, would it make sense to add a stairwell+elevator to the eastbound LRT platforms, and reuse the platform on the track level as a walkway to the main station building?

Back