News   Oct 01, 2024
 628     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1K     2 

INTERSECTION: Eliminating the Spadina/Bremner Split Phasing

mistersg1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am new here, and some of you may recognize me from AARoads, I post there occasionally and well, I have been following the transportation crisis we have on our hands for over 10 years now. If there was a proper channel to properly introduce myself on the site I would do it lol.

Ok, "Split Phasing" as it's called by the FHWA, or "Separate Phasing" as what it's called by the MTO is a type of signalling I'm very much not a fan of. For those unaware of what this entails, I could show ring and barrier diagrams explaining what a split phase is, but it's best to explain it like this.

Consider Street A runs NB-SB, and Street B runs EB-WB, this intersection is a standard intersection where the two streets meet at 90 degrees.

A split phase is when one street gets its own phase for both directions, for instance, if ONLY EB on Street B could move while WB on Street B faces a red, and then afterwards, ONLY WB on Street B can move while EB faces a red, this is a split phase.

So an intersection sequence would go like this, everything is RED unless specified otherwise:

Street A gets a green light, which turns to yellow and then red

Street B in WB direction ONLY gets a green ball + green left arrow, which then turns to yellow and then red

Street B in EB direction ONLY gets a green ball + green left arrow, which then turns to yellow and then red.

Generally, split phases will happen in places such as for example, in a dual left turn scenario, one of the left lanes is an option lane (you can go left or straight from that lane) In the GTA, split phases generally occur at former T intersections in which the ending street gets extended, as is the case at Spadina/Fort York/Bremner. IMPORTANTLY usually one ped crossing for one of the street B movements is removed, this is indeed the case at the aforementioned intersection.

So let's consider Spadina/Bremner/Fort York

The expansion of CityPlace west of Spadina led to an extension of Fort York Boulevard. Before as we know, Bremner and Spadina met at a T intersection....Bremner's approach to the intersection at the time for lane movements from left to right was, left turn, left turn, right turn.

Along comes the extension of Fort York, and now Bremner's approach to the intersection is currently, left turn, left turn, option lane (straight or right turn), Fort York's approach has two lanes, one left turn lane, and an option lane, straight or right.

So how does this intersection currently operate, this is how the flow goes starting with Spadina's phases:

Spadina (depending on if any vehicles are occupying the left turn lanes) will have a fully protected left turn movement, when this phase ends, the main signal along with the transit signal will display a green ball, and the walk sign will appear....of course, these signals turn back to red.

(Forgive me, I can't remember who moves first, Bremner or Fort York, but I think it's Bremner)

Bremner gets its share of the split phase, green left arrows and green balls are displayed, also, during this phase is the ONLY time the ped signal crossing the north side of the intersection displays a walk sign. This phase cycles back to red like normal.

Fort York gets its share of the split phase, a green ball + green left arrow is displayed, as Fort York is seen as the lesser movement for vehicles wanting to turn left, the traffic engineers must have decided that a pedestrian phase on the south side of the intersection would extend the Fort York phase too much.

And there you have it, anyone who has seen how this intersection operates during PM rush notices a few obvious things, because of the influx of a dual left turn lane onto Spadina, Spadina gets overloaded from traffic from Bremner and traffic travelling south reguarly on Spadina thus runs into a situation where only 3 or 4 vehicles per lane can clear the intersection when facing the green. In essence, those who rat run, and use say Wellington to reach Simcoe, and then make a right onto Bremner are essentially butting the line on Spadina to reach the Gardiner.

The south side should have a pedestrian phase, and this is what I propose, the Bremner approach is redesignated to left turn, straight, right turn, this will be an inconvenient movement for drivers to reach the precious middle lane of Spadina, on top of that Spadina will not get as much as a load from left turning traffic.

Indeed, the split phase should be removed, and Bremner and Fort York should have a fully protected simultaneous left turn, after the simultaneous fully protected turn phase ends, a green ball should appear and a ped signal on both sides of the intersection should display a walk sign.

The real problem to this is if I recall correctly, Fort York has a very small left turn lane that only allows a couple of vehicles to queue (If I remember right).

What do you guys think, I'm no expert, and while I am a mature student of civil engineering, I have never taken any such courses in traffic engineering in my life, I have learned all the terms from observing intersections and independent research on the net.

^I use this intersection fairly frequently and the biggest issue that jams up Spadina is (IMO) not the split phasing but the lack of enforcement/adherence to where the to WB-SB left hand turn lanes are going......on Bremner there is very clear overlane signage that the outer most left lane (farthest left) is for people continuing south or headed east and the inner left hand turn lane is for people headed to the WB Gardiner.........problem is people routinely (ie always) jump the line and make the left from the outside with the full intent to immediately swerve over to the right and head WB......this has the effect of making people who made the turn in the proper lane fail to clear the intersection and back things up.....at the time they start their turn it is clear that they can make it through the intersection during their phase but when they get half way through it the lane in front of them stops moving as people who turned left from the outside lane start cutting over to the right.....then the light changes......and people who are headed EB from FT York do not get through on their phase...or if they do it happens late enough in their phase that they "extend" their phase a bit and that causes further back ups for the people headed south bound on spadina.

Now, I have spoken to people (friends at work) about this and they ususally justify their turn from the wrong lane with 1 (or both) of 2 explanations......1) they did not (in any of the hundreds of times they have done this) notice the overlane signage on Bremner...and/or 2) if you are not supposed to make the lane change to the right after the turn there would be a solid white line (which there is but not until about half way between the intersection and the Gardiner).

On the first point they are just being cute/ignorant....on the second point they may have something......but a lane change may be needed there for people who were coming down from further north on Spadina and did not make the turn from Bremner.....I would like to see this changed as there is lots of time for that change between Front and Bremner....then it should be a solid line from Bremner to the Gardiner.

Split phasing can be an effective tool for intersection management.......but, you are correct that this intersection gets jammed in evening rush.

This idea is not feasible--there is too much traffic on westbound bremner attempting to turn south on Spadina as-is, such that Bremner is already backed up for a good distance, and you want to halve the left-turn capacity, if not even less than half? The split phase exists for a reason, to move cars given the high demand--you want to remove the solution but leave the problem in place? If you want to cut capacity so drastically, you need to come up with an alternative. I recognize that the Bremner left turn traffic overloads spadina and southbound traffic backs up, but by doing this you're only switching the backlog to Bremner, a much lower-capacity road, which means it'll back up farther.

Realistically, one thing is that Fort York needs the centre islands removed along its entire length, and the intersections need to become signallized, some replaced with pedestrian crosswalks instead/U turns further down for vehicle access. That'll solve the issue of not having enough lanes at the Spadina light, among others.

And the pedestrian situation is absurd, but I believe there are plans to build a pedestrian bridge. I don't think that's necessary as a normal crossing could be put in place that functions much like the north-side one does for bremner's traffic, but only once left/straight/right turn lanes have been added on eastbound Fort York so that pedestrians (and the traffic backlog) holding up right (southbound)-turning cars doesn't back up left+straight fort york traffic as well. Even today without the crossing this is an issue because of the traffic, so removing FY's medians to add lanes is crucial.

Split Phasing, however, cannot possibly be removed from this intersection without drastically worsening the situation.

This idea is not feasible--there is too much traffic on westbound bremner attempting to turn south on Spadina as-is, such that Bremner is already backed up for a good distance, and you want to halve the left-turn capacity, if not even less than half? The split phase exists for a reason, to move cars given the high demand--you want to remove the solution but leave the problem in place? If you want to cut capacity so drastically, you need to come up with an alternative. I recognize that the Bremner left turn traffic overloads spadina and southbound traffic backs up, but by doing this you're only switching the backlog to Bremner, a much lower-capacity road, which means it'll back up farther.

Making Spadina flow more freely in the SB might shift some of the people overloading Bremner back to Spadina.......Bremner was not, as you note, designed to have the capacity it is carrying...and it is carrying it artificially by allowing "improper" turns....if Spadina flowed more freely some of those people would stop trying to avoid Spadina and the situation may correct itself naturally

As of late, if I recall, the explicit signage on the mast arm that indicates the outer left turn lane is for the Gardiner I believe is gone.

What I was suggesting was that by having one left turn lane, it would be undesirable to use Bremner, so that many give up and simply use Lake Shore West or use Spadina,

But one thing to consider, if the south side had a ped crossing, Fort York's phase would have to be as long as a phase as Bremner's to allow time for peds to cross safely. Which of course means a longer red phase for Spadina....which of course means a longer time for the 510 Spadina to complete the run.

The real issue is a lack of capacity on Fort York Boulevard TBH. You have one lane in each direction funneling all the traffic from Bathurst and CityPlace that's looking to access the Gardiner Expressway. If they just restricted WB-left and EB-right you'd see the traffic get dispersed further south onto Lakeshore/Queens Quay which would alleviate the Level of Service at this intersection. The fact is that Fort York is really meant/designed to be an in/out movement into the residential development as opposed to what it's currently being used as which is a short cut onto the highway which ends up resulting in it really not serving any purpose particularly well. I echo Megaton's comments in the sense that you won't be able to alleviate this intersection by adjusting the splits, it'll require either more physical capacity on the approaches or an adjusting to movement restrictions to disperse the traffic away from this intersection.

T

Realistically, one thing is that Fort York needs the centre islands removed along its entire length, and the intersections need to become signallized, some replaced with pedestrian crosswalks instead/U turns further down for vehicle access. That'll solve the issue of not having enough lanes at the Spadina light, among others.

I'm not sure sure if you're aware, the centre median on Fort York is there for a future LRT ROW, the landscaping was a just a nice way to occupy the space while its on hold for that purpose.

Whether that line ever gets built is a whole different issue.

I'm not sure sure if you're aware, the centre median on Fort York is there for a future LRT ROW, the landscaping was a just a nice way to occupy the space while its on hold for that purpose.

Whether that line ever gets built is a whole different issue.

Yes, and since that line is unlikely to be built within the next decade, and there's a capacity issue now, I think it should be knocked out and used for extra lanes. If the LRT ends up happening, then reconfigure the road again at that time and see what makes sense. The LRT might happen in 2030, 2040, 2080, or never.

Presumably the intersection will be rebuilt as part of the Bathurst Bridge replacement work that will start soon. Not sure if it will change or not. The current intersection was never supposed to be there - they were supposed to do the rebuild before Fort York opened - but it got delayed by several years.
The intersection of FY/Bremner and Spadina will be rebuilt as part of the Bathurst Bridge replacement?

That's what we discussed in 2009 (and later) in the thread for that project. http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/roads-bathurst-street-bridge.6969 The current elevation is too high, that's why there's a bit of a ramp to Bremner.

When that thread started almost 9 years ago, it was going to be built in 2009.
Just had no idea the project spanned (bad pun) that far east.....transit/infrastructure really is a "hip bone is connected to the thigh bone" kinda thing...isn't it :)

Just had no idea the project spanned (bad pun) that far east.....transit/infrastructure really is a "hip bone is connected to the thigh bone" kinda thing...isn't it :)
Oh ... I'm a fool. Complete brain fart. Spadina not Bathurst. For some reason, I thought that new piece of road from Spadina to Bathurst was called Bremner - not sure why they called it Fort York. And then I didn't think after that.

Indeed, the split phase should be removed, and Bremner and Fort York should have a fully protected simultaneous left turn, after the simultaneous fully protected turn phase ends, a green ball should appear and a ped signal on both sides of the intersection should display a walk sign.

It's been over 3 years, and I haven't spent much time in the area.

Today I had to go downtown, I drove, yes I'll admit it. I took Bremner west to Spadina to head to Queen's Quay, I noticed this on the poles at the intersection of Spadina/Fort York/Bremner:

WB-3.png

So it appears that the split phase is gone....the middle lane from Bremner WB appears to be an option lane (left and straight), has this been converted to a "simultaneous fully protected left turn"? As well, the southern side of the intersection, now has a ped signal.

When did this all happen? I'm just wondering as I was briefly in the area and could not study it today.

On a side note, a dual left turn lane, even if one is an option lane almost never has a permissive phase. I can't think of any other place on the top of my head where this happens. There was one in Bolton at George Bolton and Hwy 50, but it's since been removed.

It's been over 3 years, and I haven't spent much time in the area.

Today I had to go downtown, I drove, yes I'll admit it. I took Bremner west to Spadina to head to Queen's Quay, I noticed this on the poles at the intersection of Spadina/Fort York/Bremner:

WB-3.png

So it appears that the split phase is gone....the middle lane from Bremner WB appears to be an option lane (left and straight), has this been converted to a "simultaneous fully protected left turn"? As well, the southern side of the intersection, now has a ped signal.

When did this all happen? I'm just wondering as I was briefly in the area and could not study it today.

On a side note, a dual left turn lane, even if one is an option lane almost never has a permissive phase. I can't think of any other place on the top of my head where this happens. There was one in Bolton at George Bolton and Hwy 50, but it's since been removed.
This was approved in 2018 and Transportation were urged to get on with it in December 2019 so has happened remarkably fast for Toronto! See:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.TE34.210 and http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.TE11.66

Back