News   Mar 28, 2024
 603     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 433     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 763     0 

Industrial accidents at Fiera Foods

This shows you how much the CEO cares about his employees.
I read the article and it gives no indication about what level of care the CEO has for his employees.

The article makes some sense to me. If I'm running a plant making bagels and a big potential but short term order comes in that my current staff can not handle, I can either refuse the order or increase the staff numbers. Once the big order is finished I now have too much staff, so I must lay them off, or pay them to do little until the next big job.

I read the article and it gives no indication about what level of care the CEO has for his employees.

The article makes some sense to me. If I'm running a plant making bagels and a big potential but short term order comes in that my current staff can not handle, I can either refuse the order or increase the staff numbers. Once the big order is finished I now have too much staff, so I must lay them off, or pay them to do little until the next big job.

Fierra Foods now has 5 dead workers in a relatively short span of time.

The issue here is not really a modest fluctuation of labour involving properly trained part-time or casual staff.

Its a workforce dominated by third-party contracted, casual staff; who often speak little English, seem to be given very little training, certainly don't appear to have adequate supervision and are often paid in cash, off-the-company's books.

Their death toll, to my understanding doesn't impact their worker's comp rates as the various fly-by-night third party staffers are the employers of record.

I don't think the employers conduct here is really defensible.

This guy would have been right at home in Victorian England. He uses the same arguments that could have been made back then to employ child labour.

You should see this asshole's garish mansion in Forest Hill - the ultimate expression of a tone deaf bourgeois sociopath.

Shut this place down immediately.

Ultimate goal would be the repeal of the March, 1793, "An Act to Prevent the further Introduction of Slaves and to limit the Term of Contracts for Servitude within this Province (Upper Canada, now Ontario)" and British "Slavery Abolition Act" of 1833.

That’s an accusation of criminal conduct. If you know that to be true, go to the police. Otherwise.....

I am making no accusation not already discussed in the public realm, by the media.

That was in The Star's articles. - https://www.thestar.com/news/invest...ve-died-since-1999-heres-what-they-found.html

Since 2015, at least 50 temp agencies have received clearance from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board to provide workers to Fiera Foods and its affiliated plants. Fiera’s workforce is around 70 per cent temporary, according to WSIB records.

See this article also:

Relevant section:

the majority of whom do not work for Fiera but rather are employed by a ‘temp agency’ called Magnus. Magnus is a virtual temp agency (it has no physical work site where employees go) “hires” Sara without ever meeting her and assigns her to Fierra Foods. She is given 5 minutes of ‘training’ and begins work on a gruelling pastry assembly line. To collect her pay, she is told to go to a non-descript money lender store on Steeles Avenue called “Cashmania”, where she is given cash and told that Magnus employees do not receive pay stubs and no statutory deductions are made. It’s all under the table and off the records.

Last edited:
Protesters rally outside North York industrial bakery in wake of death of temp worker

By SARA MOJTEHEDZADEH WORK AND WEALTH REPORTER
Wed., Oct. 2, 2019

It was a protest underpinned by a simple question: how many vigils are necessary?

A crowd made up of around 100 labour advocates, union organizers, and legal clinics rallied outside a North York industrial bakery Wednesday — one week after a workplace accident at the factory claimed the life of a cleaner the Star has identified as 57-year old Enrico Miranda.

He was the fifth temporary employment agency worker to die at Fiera Foods or one of its affiliate plants since 1999.

Last edited:
The more effective place to protest would be at supermarkets where products from the firm was sold. Nobody is going to care about a protest at the facility that is for all intents and purposes out of sight, out of mind. If you want to shame, shame the firms selling their products.

AoD

The more effective place to protest would be at supermarkets where products from the firm was sold. Nobody is going to care about a protest at the facility that is for all intents and purposes out of sight, out of mind. If you want to shame, shame the firms selling their products.

AoD

A protest at the factory site should be focussed on shutting down the operation, even for a day or 2, suppliers won't pay for product not received, that would be a hit in the tens of thousands anyway.

Alternatively, I think protest outside the owner's home, at least once, has its appeal, I would have sympathy for the neighbours.......

Finally...........they supply Sobeys.......

If Fiera Foods been around for over 25 years, how can 70% of the workers be "temporary"? They have a very strange definition of "temporary".

Yep. Working 40+ hours a week for several years and they are still considered a "temporary worker"

I'm sure there are many places around like Fiera, they just haven't been outed by the Star. I have heard from word of mouth a few other large companies that have horrible working conditions. Linamar in Guelph comes to mind, i have heard a lot of horror stories from family members of mine who worked there. Linamar has gotten over $100 million of our tax dollars to build their sweat shops in the Guelph area. They don't need free money, the owner is god damn billionaire, who made his billions on the backs of mostly immigrant minimum wage temp workers.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are many places around like Fiera, they just haven't been outed by the Star. I have heard from word of mouth a few other large companies that have horrible working conditions. Linamar in Guelph comes to mind, i have heard a lot of horror stories from family members of mine who worked there. Linamar has gotten over $100 million of our tax dollars to build their sweat shops in the Guelph area. They don't need free money, the owner is god damn billionaire, who made his billions on the backs of mostly immigrant minimum wage temp workers.

Yet another fine for Linamar..

Same company that got 100 million from our Liberal government :rolleyes:

Back