News   Apr 30, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

In addition Gardiner, what other key infrastructure ought we destroy? tracks-Ave Rd?

In addition to destroying the Gardiner, we should

• Get rid of rail connections to Union Station

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Make Avenue Road imposable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn Yonge Street into a park from Bloor to York Mills

• Destroy Pearson Airport

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Bio
Reaction score
Now that we're considering tearing down the necessary Gardiner Expressway, I'm wondering what other critical bits of paid -for infrastructure we should destroy.

If we want access to the lake or better access to Rabba Fine Foods (the true reason, I suspect, for wanting to destroy the necessary Gardiner) then I suggest the real barrier between the city and the lake- the railway tracks heading into Union station- be removed. We should get rid of those railway tracks and fill in the right- of-way. If we have the brains to destroy the Gardiner, then we have the brains to get rid of rail service to Union Station.

Alternatively, maybe we should look at social justice issues. Who would be least inconvinced by tearing down the Gardiner? The wealthy of Lawrence Park, Forest Hill and Rosdale. They don't care about tearing down the Gardiner in the same way that they don't care about higher taxes - (taxable income?! NO THANKS! I've got my somewhat fraudulent offshore trust- but thanks for the offer) so, if we want to be just we should equally inconvenience the rich- therefore we could make Avenue Road impassable- perhaps Yonge Street between Bloor and York Mills could be turned into a park. Further, the wealthy who commute north- south have various transit options, unlike those who commute from the east or west. It's only just to deprive these people who hate the Gardiner of their preferred roadways- Avenue Road and Yonge Street, especially given the transit option. These people are environmentalists and hate materialism so they will - no doubt- embrace the opportunity for getting less use form their Range Rovers.

I'm sure if we put our minds toward it we can find other necessary and sadly lacking infrastructure that we can destroy. We have the kind of intellectual capacity that enables us to hold the view that doing so is a good idea- so lets act on our intellect! Perhaps it's time to close Pearson, after all, global travel is bad for the environment and I don't think we want planes flying from all over the globe to and from Toronto, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back