News   Apr 26, 2024
 211     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 606     0 

Improvements in Median Transit Design

Retractable bollards, sensors, etc. all cost a lot of money. Is it worth it to solve a problem that wouldn't exist if we just re-arranged the light phases at intersections?

It sounds like an overly complex solution, with potential for frozen bollards, lags in maintenance, cars running over half-retracted bollards, etc.

Retractable bollards do indeed sound awfully expensive. Although this particular problem wouldn't exist with the standard median design, it too has issues. There is a 7 km/h speed limit on intersections on the Queensway because according to the driver I asked, the TTC is nervous about left-turning cars hitting transit vehicles (despite the dedicated left turn signal).

As we've discussed here, using a different road layout (such as U-turns, 2-stage lefts etc.) would benefit transit more than simply changing around the light phases, because it actually increases the amount of time that's green for transit. These can additionally be combined with changed light timings to offer further speed increases for transit.

Obviously we aren't going to implement 2-phase lefts or Michigan lefts on St. Clair or Spadina, there simply isn't room. This is a question for building new lines. If we're spending billions of dollars building new LRT or BRT lines, I don't think the cost of an extra traffic signal (and possibly crossing arms) is really that significant.

As for the issue of stupid people getting stuck on the tracks, I have a few points:
- If they do get onto the tracks and a vehicle is coming, they can back up. Transit vehicles are probably capable of stopping in time anyway though.
- It isn't common for people to stop on level crossings, so how is this any different?
- If we do need some kind of protection, I would go with regular railway crossing arms because retractable bollards sound awfully high maintenance.

All this said it's all for naught ............TC is dead and buried and will never be resurrected and as far as I'm concerned no loss to humanity. Ford may be willing to give up one lane for elevated tracks but that's it. The day of any at grade streetcar expansion is over in Toronto.

The day of any at grade streetcar expansion is over in Toronto.

You are seriously deluded if you think that is true. Toronto has a brand new fleet of LRVs arriving, the streetcar has been here for over a century, and LRT is becoming more popular around the world not less. Toronto was one of the few cities to retain its old network through the worst times for LRT networks. Newsflash, Ford was elected mayor for four years, not forever.

Word on the street is that there's some behind-the-scenes coordination going on with the big name East Bayfront and Port Lands developers to put significant pressure on the city and other levels of government to build the Cherry Street and Queens Quay East LRTs. Both of those are set to use side-of-the-road ROWs. So there's hope for downtown expansion as well, still, too.

All this said it's all for naught ............TC is dead and buried and will never be resurrected and as far as I'm concerned no loss to humanity. Ford may be willing to give up one lane for elevated tracks but that's it. The day of any at grade streetcar expansion is over in Toronto.

Even if that were true (and it most certainly is not), there are still plans for at-grade transit outside of the city of Toronto.

The day of any at grade streetcar expansion is over in Toronto.
I assume that this is some kind of warped sense of humour, being posted on a day when the TTC voted to confirm that at-grade streetcar expansion in Toronto was continuing, confirming the construction of 0.5 km of new tracks down Leslie Street.

Even if that were true (and it most certainly is not), there are still plans for at-grade transit outside of the city of Toronto.

Here's hoping Hamilton and Mississauga get their LRT expansions funded. We'll gladly take your unneeded Sheppard LRVs.

Back