News   May 07, 2024
 183     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 256     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 667     1 

Illogical Toronto haters

I agree it's pretty hard to use such new-fangled technology as those self-serve ticket machines they have at every sky train station
The machines in the stations only sell single undiscounted tickets - and not the 10-ride books everyone seems to use. It would be like replacing all the token machines in the subway (okay, the few token machines in the subway) with machines that would only sell one $3 token at a time.

I would say those that hate Houston probably think all Texans (and southerners) are red necks. Houston is an incredibly lively city...but then having family there helps to understand the culture of the city better, doesn't it? The only thing that truly sucks about Houston is the weather--too humid for my taste.

I've heard that of all the cities in Texas, the one which has a culture which most resembles "urban Toronto" is Austin. Supposed to blow away any preconceptions of all Texans being like GWB, etc.

I find the downtowner's snobby attitude of hating that-which-is-not-downtown far more annoying than the anti-Toronto attitude of the "RoC". For example, a while back I went on a date with a chick (downtowner) who claimed she was interested in visiting different neighborhoods in Toronto and seeing the local sights, trying the different eateries, etc. I suggested that she should consider visiting Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton and work her way down to Davisville (because I was living in that area at the time and had found many nice places to eat around there). Her response was that she thought it was "too far out there" and would rather stick to places "in Toronto.. like, you know, south of Bloor and stuff!". LOL. ARE YOU SERIOUS??! Good thing there was no second date.

And of course there's no shortage of downtowners who consider anything North of the 401, East of the DVP/Woodbine, and West of... Royal York? - to be a complete and total WASTELAND, devoid of life. And people like Christopher Hume encourage this belief.

Anecdotally, I've found this sentiment to be mostly from "Downtowners" who have moved to Toronto from the RoC sometime in the prior few years. The best example of this I know is a girl who won't speak to anyone from the 905 at bars/clubs. She moved here from Bolton(!) five years ago. I think they are over-compensating for a misplaced fear of rejection for not being from here. People who were born and raised here likely have traveled all over the city. This is certainly true if you played any high school sports or play recreational sports now. You have to travel to rinks/fields in far flung corners of the city for hockey and soccer.

The best example of this I know is a girl who won't speak to anyone from the 905 at bars/clubs.
One one hand this sounds pretty odd ... on the other hand, if one never wants to return to 905, one may employ a dating strategy thatwould avoid such situations.

Similiar to an Internet dating site where one might sort people geographically.

I will admit this first, I was not born nor did it grow up in Toronto...

I was born and grew up in....gulp. sounds of vomiting..... Hamilton...

I had wanted to move here since I was 15 and came here for the first time on my own to a Jays Game, I walked around downtown for several hours after the game, and just fell in love with this City. and I had not even gotten on the TTC that time... that came later, 3 years later infact. Then when I discovered what a joy it was to actually be able to get around without having to have numerous bus schedules memorized in my brain, I knew that someday in the near future I wanted to move here.... skip 9 years, and I finally got the chance to move here, and I jumped at the chance never looking back.

I have a deep seated roiling, seething hatred for Hamilton... so many reasons it'd take a year to type them all on here, and ya'all would get seriously bored... So I'm not going to list those reasons.

as my saying goes "Hamilton, the armpit of Ontario, the a**crack of Canada"

You want to talk about rampent homelessness, go look at Hamilton, you cant go 10 feet in downtown without tripping over panhandlers, and I'm not talking about nice ones that'll help blind people accross the street (I've had that happen here in Toronto,, many times) I'm talking about nasty, scary, drunk on listerine or cheap mouthwash, crackheads, glue sniffers, that will get in your way, will accost you physicially just for spare change, all the homeless shelters are very close and in downtown, there is even a federal half-way house with very dangerous people right behind the main mall/copps colisium downtown..

I Lived in Hamilton for 27 years, I hated it as early as 12 years old, I just hated it with everything inside me.

I origianlly wanted to move out west, Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon or Edmonton, never did though, and I'm not going to, I'm happy right here in Toronto..

I'm 'in the 'burbs" out here in Etobicoke, but I'm on a waiting list for housing closer to downtown and even some right downtown, so Yeah, I love Toronto..

Last edited:
'You want to talk about rampent homelessness, go look at Hamilton, you cant go 10 feet in downtown without tripping over panhandlers, and I'm not talking about nice ones that'll help blind people accross the street (I've had that happen here in Toronto,, many times) I'm talking about nasty, scary, drunk on listerine or cheap mouthwash, crackheads, glue sniffers, that will get in your way, will accost you physicially just for spare change, all the homeless shelters are very close and in downtown, there is even a federal half-way house with very dangerous people right behind the main mall/copps colisium downtown.."

Hehe, sounds like San Francisco...

I will admit this first, I was not born nor did it grow up in Toronto...

I was born and grew up in....gulp. sounds of vomiting..... Hamilton...

I had wanted to move here since I was 15 and came here for the first time on my own to a Jays Game, I walked around downtown for several hours after the game, and just fell in love with this City. and I had not even gotten on the TTC that time... that came later, 3 years later infact. Then when I discovered what a joy it was to actually be able to get around without having to have numerous bus schedules memorized in my brain, I knew that someday in the near future I wanted to move here.... skip 9 years, and I finally got the chance to move here, and I jumped at the chance never looking back.

I have a deep seated roiling, seething hatred for Hamilton... so many reasons it'd take a year to type them all on here, and ya'all would get seriously bored... So I'm not going to list those reasons.

as my saying goes "Hamilton, the armpit of Ontario, the a**crack of Canada"

You want to talk about rampent homelessness, go look at Hamilton, you cant go 10 feet in downtown without tripping over panhandlers, and I'm not talking about nice ones that'll help blind people accross the street (I've had that happen here in Toronto,, many times) I'm talking about nasty, scary, drunk on listerine or cheap mouthwash, crackheads, glue sniffers, that will get in your way, will accost you physicially just for spare change, all the homeless shelters are very close and in downtown, there is even a federal half-way house with very dangerous people right behind the main mall/copps colisium downtown..

I Lived in Hamilton for 27 years, I hated it as early as 12 years old, I just hated it with everything inside me.

I origianlly wanted to move out west, Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon or Edmonton, never did though, and I'm not going to, I'm happy right here in Toronto..

I'm 'in the 'burbs" out here in Etobicoke, but I'm on a waiting list for housing closer to downtown and even some right downtown, so Yeah, I love Toronto..

This is similar to my experience, but I don't have a lingering hatred for Hamilton, only an anger at how the city was left to decline. I remember downtown as a child in the early 80's. Going to Eaton's, Simpson's, Robinson's, Wollworth's and Cheapies and more. It was vibrant and bustling and filled with trolley buses veering across 6 lanes of King Street that could get you anywhere without a car just like the TTC.

Travelling will teach you quickly that Hamilton does have a homelessness and blight problem, but they are not outstandingly bad compared to many other places. You haven't seen homelessness and urban poverty in Canada until you've seen destitute neighbourhoods of East Vancouver and the Native Canadians in the cities of the Praries. We don't have anything that bad in Hamilton, or Ontario for that matter.

Last edited:
""This is similar to my experience, but I don't have a lingering hatred for Hamilton, only an anger at how the city was left to decline. I remember downtown as a child in the early 80's. Going to Eaton's, Simpson's, Robinson's, Wollworth's and Cheapies and more. It was vibrant and bustling and filled with trolley buses veering across 6 lanes of King Street that could get you anywhere without a car just like the TTC.""

~~

I know exactly what you mean here, I grew up in the Eighties myself, and yeah most of those places do bring back strong fond memories, mmm Eastgate (Before WAL*MART, I miss the old girl, but alas, they've gone and ruined her..) I also still come home for Cheapies, its still the only place I'll go for used games, cd's and good deals on headphones..
Wow, memories...

lol, I bought my first portable cassette tape player there, (old, old Sony Walkman), as well as most of my tapes and CD's, lol, 3 tapes for $2 or 5 for $3 was one old deal I remember. Wow, yeah Toronto does not have a clue as to what a true long Transit Strike is, lol, 1998-99 Nov,3rd to Jan, 26.... wow, wasent that the year good ol Mel called in the Army?? Meanwhile Hamilton just looked on with mirth and glee! (note: severe amounts of sarcasam in last sentance)

Having a hatred for Hamilton is just as stupid as having a hatred for Toronto.

Yes, downtown Hamilton is a little rough around the edges and the latter part of the 20th century didn't do the city any favours, but, still, this is a city that oozes with blue collar soul, has fantastically layered urban neighbourhods and gave birth to the likes of Stan Rogers, Karen Kain, Floria Sigismondi and the Junior Boys. They must be doing something right.

Johnny Greenspan of the Junior Boys was once asked what the biggest misconception of Hamilton was. He replied that it was "that downtown Hamilton is somehow worse than downtown Toronto". This might sound asinine at first, but a city is entirely what you make of it and how you relate to it personally. If you give it a lot, it will reward you back.

If you still don't think Hamilton has a heart, go check out flar's pictures in the World Photos section.

Ant to tie the whole topic back together, remember in the 80's The Hamilton Spectator's "In Toronto they thnk....." campaign?

"In Toronto they think the Jolley Cut is a new way to slice roast beef"

That's the only one I can remember.

When I first came to Hamilton from Mississauga, I simply hated it. I thought it was a run-down dump. But despite popular belief, there are some nice areas within Hamilton. I lived in the Westdale area and it's quite vibrant. There's always pedestrians on the street and the parks are filled with parents and their children or dog walkers. One thing I hate about Mississauga is going for a walk and getting stared at as people in their cars pass me by. And then the next day someone will say "I saw you walking the other day" as if that's an unusual thing to do.

And despite the nasty things said about Hamilton, not even the downtown seems dangerous to me. I used to live down there, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary other than the large amount of homeless people.

But yeah, first chance I get I'm moving to Toronto. I think I'm the only person in Mississauga who hates cars. I never want to be at the mercy of my car.

When I first came to Hamilton from Mississauga, I simply hated it. I thought it was a run-down dump. But despite popular belief, there are some nice areas within Hamilton. I lived in the Westdale area and it's quite vibrant. There's always pedestrians on the street and the parks are filled with parents and their children or dog walkers. One thing I hate about Mississauga is going for a walk and getting stared at as people in their cars pass me by. And then the next day someone will say "I saw you walking the other day" as if that's an unusual thing to do.

And despite the nasty things said about Hamilton, not even the downtown seems dangerous to me. I used to live down there, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary other than the large amount of homeless people.

But yeah, first chance I get I'm moving to Toronto. I think I'm the only person in Mississauga who hates cars. I never want to be at the mercy of my car.

In my neighbourhood there's tons of people who go walking on warm summer days, especially on Bancroft Drive and the nearby parks. Yes a lot of people drive. But a lot of people like to go walking recreationally, if not to actually get anywhere.

Having a hatred for Hamilton is just as stupid as having a hatred for Toronto.

Yes, downtown Hamilton is a little rough around the edges and the latter part of the 20th century didn't do the city any favours, but, still, this is a city that oozes with blue collar soul, has fantastically layered urban neighbourhods and gave birth to the likes of Stan Rogers, Karen Kain, Floria Sigismondi and the Junior Boys. They must be doing something right.

Johnny Greenspan of the Junior Boys was once asked what the biggest misconception of Hamilton was. He replied that it was "that downtown Hamilton is somehow worse than downtown Toronto". This might sound asinine at first, but a city is entirely what you make of it and how you relate to it personally. If you give it a lot, it will reward you back.

If you still don't think Hamilton has a heart, go check out flar's pictures in the World Photos section.

LOL, yeah, your right Hipster, I just lived there for 27 years, lol so I kinda know what I'm saying about it..

Yes there are little pockets of goodness in hamilton, but not enought to make me ever want to go back.

Back