News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 365     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

I miss the 1990's

Whoah, what's going on here? On the main forum page it says that the last post in this thread is by @AlvinofDiaspar today at 10:24 yet said post does not appear in the thread.
Did you code your message to not be visible to certain people? Is that possible on these forums?

Edit: That was friggin weird. That message refused to exist in my reality until I posted the above, at which point it immediately appeared above my post.

Carry on.

Whoah, what's going on here? On the main forum page it says that the last post in this thread is by @AlvinofDiaspar today at 10:24 yet said post does not appear in the thread.
Did you code your message to not be visible to certain people? Is that possible on these forums?

Edit: That was friggin weird. That message refused to exist in my reality until I posted the above, at which point it immediately appeared above my post.

Carry on.

I believe that is an unidentified bug that is associated with a move post function.

AoD

This reminds me of my first computer: Norton Command Tree. Yellow on Blue supreme organisation. So much easier to find files when there aren't that many to look through and they're all perfectly organised. I miss the yellow on blue. :(

Well, you can still get yourself a copy of Midnight Commander (mc) for almost any OS for a very similar experience. :) It's still actively developed and maintained.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Commander

Reactions: vic
More from Sir Goldie MBE (yeah, he has a real name but we just call him Sir Goldie now):

Very 90s. Very Goldie.

A true classic for the headstrong (one of my favourite choons of all time):

Renegade Snares.....choooooon!

Last edited:
Regent Park at night was no-go for this Cabbagetowner when I moved in 1998. Now I walk it at all hours, no worries.

Has it changed that much?

I wasn't familiar with the area back in 1998, but I lived in Parkdale 2005-2007 and can honestly say it's almost the same now as it was then.

Sadly, I could be authoring the I love the 80s thread.

Here’s a controversial thought. I liked 80s music which I found charged me up.

New Order and Bizarre Love Triangle, Howard Jones and New Song, YES, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Def Leopard, Steve Winwood, Aretha, James Brown, Tina, Duran Duran...Guns n Roses and KC and the Sunshine Band - almost 70s.

90s music was depressing with (sorry) losers offing themselves. Grunge...yuck. How depressing. Hootie and the Blowfish, really? Although the Verve’s Bittersweet Symphony helped the last half of the decade. Now that I think about it, Cranberries were a good start with “Everybody Else is Doing It, Why Can’t We”
I'm the opposite. I loved the classic rock of the 70s and the alternative rock of the 90s (including grunge). But the cheesy mainstream rock of the 80s...not so much. Although I'm not personally a huge Pixies fan, I recently read a review of their first album that in a few simple words summed up the album and slammed the music scene at the time: "It rocked without being lame". Grunge and other alternative scenes got so huge partly because they were so unlike the 80s hair bands like Whitsnake and Poison that were, well, lame. Music fans in the 90s wanted authenticity and they got it in spades. I can totally sympathize with the point of view that grunge could be too sludgy and gloomy, but even within that scene there was plenty of music that rocks just as hard as anything from the 80s. If I'm driving with the windows down and a song like Soundgarden's My Wave comes on, I'm guaranteed to turn it up.

Here's my counterpoint to the comment about losers offing themselves: mental illness is a very real disease and its sufferers aren't losers. From what I know about depression, it fills your brain with intense emotions that you have no control over, sometimes to the point where suicide is the only way to relieve the pain. It's easy to tell people to just snap out of it, but it doesn't work that way when there's something wrong with how your brain is wired. If there's one silver lining to celebrity suicides, it's that it creates public awareness about mental illness and helps reduce the stigma. You wouldn't call someone a loser for dying of cancer. Celebrities are offing themselves as much as they ever have, so it wasn't just a 90s thing. From former athletes Wade Belak and Chris Benoit to Robin Williams, Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain...were they losers?

One thing we do agree on...Hootie and the Blowfish were terrible.

Last edited:
I particularly little sympathy for Kurt Kobain. My prejudice. As you have said, mental illness is a significant issue. But there are resources. Kobain had more options than most people. I think that is what bugs me most. And still flamed out. But this note comes on the heals of a week with two spectacular suicides from people who had options, support, and choices. Namely Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. None of this is logical and it may never be.

I have people with mental health issues in my life. Quite a few. The drug abuse inevitably makes things worse. I think that is why the Kobain situation bothers me. Every person in my circle who has dealt with their mental health issues, had to stop abusing drugs first. All the years and talk and therapy and hand holding and handouts were all BS until they stopped taking recreational drugs. Including pot.

I particularly little sympathy for Kurt Kobain. My prejudice. As you have said, mental illness is a significant issue. But there are resources. Kobain had more options than most people. I think that is what bugs me most. And still flamed out. But this note comes on the heals of a week with two spectacular suicides from people who had options, support, and choices. Namely Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain. None of this is logical and it may never be.

I have people with mental health issues in my life. Quite a few. The drug abuse inevitably makes things worse. I think that is why the Kobain situation bothers me. Every person in my circle who has dealt with their mental health issues, had to stop abusing drugs first. All the years and talk and therapy and hand holding and handouts were all BS until they stopped taking recreational drugs. Including pot.
I too have people with mental health issues in my life. I once lost someone close to me to suicide. Here's the thing with people with the resources: sometimes that can make it worse. Celebrities live in a bubble surrounded by enablers who satisfy their every whim. Celebrity, drug addiction, and mental illness can make a toxic combination.

It helps to understand it if you think of mental illness as a disease like any other. You wouldn't say you have no sympathy for Gord Downie because he had the resources to fight his disease. Just as there's no cure for cancer, there's no cure for mental illness. Both can be fatal.

Im sorry but this is an extremely simplistic observation. I'm happy to hear that the people in your life are now well and you are right about the negative effects on certain people of drug abuse, but that abuse is all too often a component of their mental health issues and not just a self-prescribed medication.

It's a tough scene, in any case.

Back