News   Apr 24, 2024
 16     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 448     0 

I miss the 1980’s

Homicides is a believable statistic. Attempted murder is a criminal charge that depends on the law at the time. I am certain that it was much easier to convict in the old days compared to now. I could make the argument that every shooting in Toronto was an attempted murder - and thus the attempted murder rate has gone up by a factor of 2.5 or 3 in the past 5 years.

I could make the argument that every shooting in Toronto was an attempted murder - and thus the attempted murder rate has gone up by a factor of 2.5 or 3 in the past 5 years.
What‘s with the sh#tty marksmanship of these gangbangers? I wish I could put them all on a bus and ship them to some hunger games like event, last man standing gets one of those gold car air fresheners, or some other bling POC.

What‘s with the sh#tty marksmanship of these gangbangers? I wish I could put them all on a bus and ship them to some hunger games like event, last man standing gets one of those gold car air fresheners, or some other bling POC.
Maybe instead of a gun ban, we should just pass a law that all carriers of illegal handguns must take a firearm course. It would reduce the number of unintended innocent by-standers getting shot.

I sometimes miss that Eaton's store--especially the early years when it occupied over a million square feet and was still popular. Loved hanging out in their pets department.

I sometimes miss that Eaton's store--especially the early years when it occupied over a million square feet and was still popular. Loved hanging out in their pets department.

Both Eaton's and Simpsons sold goods that were made in Canada and North America. Which meant jobs for Canadians that made those goods. Unfortunately, shoppers wanted "cheap", which meant selling goods made overseas at cheap wages, which led to their downfall and the upswing of the Walmarts of today.

Both Eaton's and Simpsons sold goods that were made in Canada and North America. Which meant jobs for Canadians that made those goods. Unfortunately, shoppers wanted "cheap", which meant selling goods made overseas at cheap wages, which led to their downfall and the upswing of the Walmarts of today.
True that. Eaton's was kind of Canada's brick and mortar Amazon of its day. Think I'll check out "The Sweater" again on Youtube.

I have a parka, admittedly now relegated to snow blowing, that is Eatonia brand. Lord knows how old it is. Still intact.

The bad news about the 1980's was the recession. See link.

In the early 1980s, Canada experienced higher inflation, interest rates, and underemployment than the United States did. The Bank of Canada rate hit 21% in August 1981, and the inflation rate averaged more than 12%. The inflationary period made Canadians seek to protect themselves by investing in the housing market.

Some saw an advantage to high interest rates by speculation in real estate and other assets. The increase in transactions was financed by borrowing and ultimately caused debt levels to rise.

Canadian firms, preoccupied with prospective investment opportunities because of high inflation, no longer focused on innovation and productivity improvements. In addition, high inflation was partly responsible for larger government spending. The overall tax burden rose from 27% of income in 1951 to 34% in 1969 and 37% in 1988. From 1975 to 1992 national deficit more than tripled to 8% of GDP. The resulting high interest rates caused more Canadian income to be paid out to foreign holders of Canadian public and private sector debt.

Canada changed from a country producing and exporting mainly primary products to one producing and exporting more manufactured goods. Jobs were lost to mechanization in industry. Moreover, globalization meant that Canadian firms had to downsize their workforce to stay efficient and compete internationally. In early 1980s, Canada's unemployment rate peaked at 12%. It took almost four years for the number of full-time jobs to be restored. A slowdown in productivity also emerged during the recession. Real GDP declined by 5% between June 1981 and December 1982, and average output per worker slowed by 1%. The US decision to switch to a floating exchange rate devalued the Canadian dollar, which was worth US$0.85 by 1979, which made US imports more expensive. On the other hand, Canada's major exports declined in price. Combined with high inflation and interest rates, the high commodity prices reduced the standard of living.

That's nonsense without any shred of proof. Also:

View attachment 222240

The 80s aren't all that glorious - that's not to say gangs and guns isn't a problem, but looking at the "good old days" isn't al that helpful.

AoD
It is illogical to state that advances in medical treatment wouldn't improve your chances of surviving a murder attempt when most people would agree that they have improved our chances in virtually all other areas.

The introduction of 911, enhanced 911, smartphones, vastly superior EMS capabilities, new surgical techniques etc. have all dramatically improved a gunshot or stabbing victim's chances of survival.

As well, the murder rate can decrease in many areas of Canada while it increases in a few others so posting the Canadian stats doesn't prove anything about Toronto. Even so, you can see the beginning of an uptick in 2017..

Last edited:
Graphs were posted outlining a trendline for the 'attempted murder' rate as well. None of the items you listed above would impact the number of charges laid in that respect.

The moment a shot is fired where the intent was to kill or even maim you're not looking at an assault charge, it would be murder/attempt murder.

Better healthcare outcomes would only transition the charge rate from murder to attempt murder.
Murders are up, shootings are way up..
Rationalize that.

Rationalize that.

And more "targets".

From link.

Toronto CMA Population, 1821 – 2016

toronto-pop-1800-20163.jpg

Rationalize that.

Why must you treat discussion as confrontation?

I disagree with your point of view.

That is not to suggest there is not some merit in some portion of it.

But I believe you made up your mind on what has transpired prior to obtaining any facts; and have then sought out facts to buttress your conclusion.

I find that to be unsound logic.

That isn't personal. I don't dislike you, let alone hate you.

The fact you are so passionate in your response is the very thing I distrust.

Reason over passion.

I should add, there is no argument crime exists, or could or should be lower, in contemporary times.

Rather the argument is that as someone who was alive and grew up in the 1980s, it was not some time of halcyon sweetness and light where crime was less than is now the case.

Back