News   Mar 28, 2024
 633     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 450     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 775     0 

Hypnotoad Goes to Croatia

I'd love it if they rebuilt that chair-lift you can see in the background. In saying that, the drive from the airport's got a cracking view of the whole city too.

Anth: it's certainly on the list!

I've been to Dalmatia several times and will happily return. I don't have pictures from my trips on this computer, but here are some pictures I found of the main sight I've seen (I'll skip Dubrovnik and Split since they're well known and there's already some pictures in this thread).

Walls of Mali Ston, I've only driven by on my way to Dubrovnik but they go all around the mountain, apparently they're the longest in Europe.
750639_12222822992077.jpg

Neretva Delta, an interesting contrast to the arid mountainous landscape.
92402537.jpg

Orebic, only drove through but can be seen from the strait in Korcula.
orebic12.gif

Korcula, the town thought to be the birthplace of Marco Polo
korcula.jpg

Gate to the old city, it's the only way in, so no cars.
Korcula_gate.jpg

Cathedral
cathedral-korcula1

Near Marco Polo museum
korcula.old.town%2007.jpg

Typical alley/street
korcula8.JPG

Seen from the nearby mountain
korcula3.jpg

Korcula island vineyards
P1040851.JPG

Vela Luka, also on Korcula Island, I was in town when they had a small dance/festival going on with men in traditional dress sword fighting, it was getting dark too, so you could see their swords making tons of sparks.
12143_Velika_Vela-Luka.JPG

You can take a boat ride (during which we saw dolphins come up to the boat) from the town of Korcula to the island of Mljet which has a monastery on an island in a lake on the island. Actually I think it's technically an inland sea... it's salt water and connected to the sea at high tide.
1214820998_86_velika_sv%20marija%201%20VELIKA.jpg

We also stayed at the island of Hvar, with accomodation at the village of Ivan Dolac. The beach walk is kind of the main artery of the town, with many resorts a bakery and restaurants.
ivan_dolac_8.jpg

After going up a winding road, the village is connected to the rest of the island by a winding tunnel. It's one way, one lane, 1km long and has no lighting... so not for the claustrophobic. :p
tunel.jpg

Once you get out of the tunnel, you pass a few charming hilltop villages
img_4_0.jpg

And reach Stari Grad Plain, in use since the time of the Greeks
w1240.jpg

Stari Grad means old town since it was built by the Greeks (who called it Faros), although much of the town's old buildings were lost in war with the Turks.
preview.jpg

Terraced mountain on the Island of Hvar.
2009-10-19-croatia-hvar-from-hvar-to-stari-grad-old-town-stitch-00.JPG

Jelsa is relatively new and has a great market. It has a food market too, not just souvenirs.
pd1674343.jpg

Vrboska, a charming little town built along a long and narrow bay that becomes more or a canal at the end.
vrboska.jpg

vrboska1.jpg

St Mary of Grace Church/Fortress in Vrboska.
240px-Church_(fortress)_of_St._Mary_of_Grace,_Vrboska.jpg

Finally Hvar, the island's main town/city.
953Hvar.jpg

Spanish Fort
4403944048_176b1f2fa5.jpg

Fort and harbour... which had some rather fancy yachts when we were there.
hvar-harbor.jpg

Central Square at night
1.1242855000.hvar-town-square-at-night.jpg

SuperStock_1848-253909.jpg

Makarska
Makarska1.jpg

s

These flowers were everywhere in Dalmatia.
5238455.jpg

1245523440_resized.jpg

Makarska riviera
888705967_d32d478215_o.jpg

Omis
Main-Street-Omis-300x225.jpg

omis-s-imbera.jpg

omis-fort.jpg

Cetina gorge near Omis
3325604004_bff911d16f.jpg

Trogir
trogir_piacaV.jpg

trogir_brodV.jpg

trogir_radovanV.jpg

Sibenik
sibenik-cathedral.jpg

Heads-on-Sibenik-Cathedral.jpg

Krka National Park
Krka.jpg

krka-croatia-cx2.jpg

Sveti Rok near Zadar. This is next to a 6km long tunnel that's part of Croatia's new highway system.
Svetirok.tunnel.JPG

Plitvice National Park, about 50km from the coast, it is a lush valley with many blue lakes crammed with fish and connected by waterfalls.
538af86045f4fc00_plitvice_lakes.jpg

plitvice-lakes-national-park-croatia-unesco-world-hertiage-site-jack-brauer.jpg

insane-waterfalls-of-plitvice-lakes-national-park-croatia-unesco-world-heritage-site.jpg

7317d1199573189-january-2008-winner-winter-national-park-plitvice-plitvpejsazmaki-jpg

plitvice3.jpg

Plitvice_underwater.jpg

Back