News   Apr 26, 2024
 479     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Hydro

Rocky

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have always rented apartments and am thinking of buying a condo however i was not sure how much on average does the hydro cost. Its around 800 sqft apartment and the condo fees includes heating and air conditioning but the owner has to pay for their own hydro. Assuming that its only me and my Gf who will be in the place and all we will use is some lights, TV and Computer - what am i looking at in terms of expense as far as my monthly hydro bill goes ?

A good estimate is $16 per month plus $0.10 per kwh + tax. I don't know how much electricity you would use, but I could guess 300 or 400 kwh, which would would work out to $50 - $60 a month. That sounds high for a condo, but who knows.

It depends how much energy you use. If you try to keep your usage low, it could be as low as $30/month. The apt I live at, I seldom turn on A/C or heater unless it is unbearable. Keep your lights off in rooms you aren't using, do laundry during off peak hours, don't use dishwasher, etc. The dishwasher and laundry uses a lot of hydro. I use around 250kwh

Beware that Toronto hydro will fix your rate using it's so called "delivery fee". Whether I use 100, 200, or 300 kWh per month, my hydro bill is always the same, plus or minus about 2 dollars. The delivery fee "randomly" goes up or down depending on how much power I use, so that my bill always ends up at almost exactly $50 per 60 day billing period.

Through various energy saving initiatives, I was able to cut my electricity usage by over 30%, however the delivery fee instantly raised by the same amount, and my bill didn't drop by a penny (in fact, it went up that month by about 50 cents). The delivery fee currently makes up 80% of my bill, so the actual amount of power I use has little to no bearing on my bill.

My account is directly with Toronto Hydro, no third party distributor involved.

I have always rented apartments and am thinking of buying a condo however i was not sure how much on average does the hydro cost. Its around 800 sqft apartment and the condo fees includes heating and air conditioning but the owner has to pay for their own hydro. Assuming that its only me and my Gf who will be in the place and all we will use is some lights, TV and Computer - what am i looking at in terms of expense as far as my monthly hydro bill goes ?

Do you have a programmable thermostat?
What kind of heating is it?
You going to have time of use billing.
How many hours a day is the TV going to be on (in each rate period)?
Same for the computer.

A totally random guess is less than $100.

Not so random; I live in a larger condo than that and work from home so I've got the computer on most of the time. Also have a small wine fridge and my monthly bill is less than $100 unless I've got the a/c running steady.

The new time-of-use rates have worked out very well. The last Hydro bill, covering two months in my Summer Palace, was about $120.

I live in a 900 sq. ft condo, and heating and AC is also included in the condo fees (though you pay to operate the fan in your unit that pushes the cold/hot air out) and it costs me $50-60 a month.

Back