News   Apr 25, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 899     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 918     0 

Hwy 400 + Major Mackenzie Dr (Vaughan, 28 + 26 + 23s)

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another high density proposal in the City of Vaughan, located southwest of Major Mackenzie Drive and Highway 400, these 3 towers will be clearly visible and stand out from the highway ... whats interesting to note is that these towers are proposed immediately next to recently built townhouses and single detached homes, you can imagine the NIMBY reactions :p

3 residential towers rising 23, 26, and 28 storeys respectively ... oval shaped, and kind of looks like the other proposal at Weston Rd + Hwy 7, total of 1,236 suites proposed

City Planning Staff Report (December 2008)

400MarjorMac_elevation.jpg

400MarjorMac_sp.jpg

Wow, Vaughan is definitely improving. This and the proposal at Weston & 7 are great. They are really going crazy with landscaped podiums =P. The orientation of these buildings is really good though, because every tower has a view, and not just a view of the next tower.

edit: and, each building is taller than the next, making a very cool staircase effect. I guess this will be launched after the recession then??

whats interesting to note is that these towers are proposed immediately next to recently built townhouses and single detached homes, you can imagine the NIMBY reactions :p

Local residents have already raised a flap about this proposal, to the point where, I think this proposal is dead.

These are still towers-in-the-park condos, when all is said and done. Hardly a herald of "urbanization"...

Yes these are disappointing to say the least.
From the renderings it looks like the VCC proposal is a little step in the right direction but that really depends. What's going in the podium their - just condos? Then it might be just as bad.

It might be too early to judge this one but I don't have high hopes.

Seems like they'll never learn. It never ceases to amaze me that you don't have to go far out of the core to find such a backward mentality when it comes to urban design.

Since this kind of building has been rejected by Toronto now, it has to go somewhere.

Not every member of society changes their mind about how best to live overnight, and there must still be a lot of people out there for whom tower-in-a-park sounds like paradise. If though, as WoodbridgeHeights suggests, this proposal is already dead, then we will just have to wait to see what kind of suburban paradise is proposed for this golden meadow next.

link to the news article claiming that the proposal is dead. While the Vellore Village residents and rate payers groups have, IMHO, been far to NIMBY'ist and far to vocal on some insignificant issues (desperate housewives with too much time on their hands I think) I do have to side with them on this issue. I think the location, scale and local context are completly out of whack in this proposal. Density should be happening in the VCC development node, the Vaughan Mills Mall area and along Jane in between. This area really should be left as single family residential, plus just putting a high rise (30s is high rise?) on a road in the middle of a park (condo in the park) next to a major highway doesn't make it the most urban of developments.

These are still towers-in-the-park condos, when all is said and done. Hardly a herald of "urbanization"...

T-I-T-P is fine for a development that's located in a suburban area outside a designated "suburban downtown."

I guess I see the benefit of this proposal as simply adding more density to curb sprawl developments, rather than urbanizing the neighbourhood (which is proposed in VCC + MC instead)

If you look at the location, I'm not sure how much proper urbanizing you can do anyways:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=28241599&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

For reference the location is where those white buildings are in the photo. Note that it will be squeezed between a major highway and a pre existing suburb and that there will be only one access point. Not the greatest of planning don't you think.

At this point I think the only thing that could go there would be parkland.

Back