Hume on TTC rider etiquette

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Pitching TTC for Dummies

Aug 16, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

These are not great days for the TTC. Underfunded, undervalued and, it seems, disrespected even by the people who run it, certainly by the city and province, it is a shadow of its former self.

Now this negativity seems to have rubbed off on passengers, who treat the system with a disregard bordering on contempt.

And so, a modest proposal for the Toronto Transit Commission: Why not a user course?

It doesn't have to be long and involved, but a session that lasts an hour or two just to teach forgetful passengers about the dos and don'ts of public transit.

It would be a helpful reminder to Torontonians of the basics; and God knows we're not talking about offering your seat to little old ladies and pregnant women – those days are long gone – but simple stuff such as not blocking the doors, not hogging seats, moving to the back of the streetcar ...

Yes, you're right to wonder, do we really need to take a course to be told the obvious? The answer, sadly, is that we do. Any TTC regular will confirm, many users don't have a clue that the nature of public transit is exactly that, it's public.

It's tempting to single out kids as the worst – and indeed many seem wretchedly socialized – but businessmen, shoppers, tourists and whole families are also to blame.

The ratio of offenders remains constant and cuts across gender, age, race, and any other qualifier you can think of.

Their behaviour makes a bad situation worse. The morning and evening ride on streetcar, bus and subway is unpleasant under the best of circumstances, but the morons standing in the entrance oblivious of everything but their iPods or BlackBerrys make it more maddening still.

Then there are those who sit on the outside of a two-seat bench – typically overweight men in suits – blocking the inside. Or those who occupy one seat themselves and use the one beside them for their bags.

On streetcars, the problem now is that the front entrance has become an exit. Few bother to leave by the rear door, and drivers no longer ask passengers to do so.

Another example of TTC timidity is the recent removal of signs requesting passengers to "Stand Right, Walk Left" on escalators. Apparently, to walk is so risky, we must be encouraged to remain absolutely still and correspondingly safer.

There was a time, years ago, when the commission put up posters in its fleet that addressed the finer points of passengership. They all began the same way: "Our riders write ..." Like the civility they described, these notices have disappeared. Operators, as drivers are now called, take little or no responsibility for their vehicles; instead they are instructed not to engage – it could be dangerous.

Who can blame them?

Indeed, it seems the TTC has been all but abandoned; the notion that it forms part of the public realm and is, therefore, shared space has also been forgotten. It has become a civic wasteland.

And so a rider's course is an idea whose time has come. To make it more attractive, the TTC might consider giving grads a discount on their fare.

Perhaps these sessions would also serve to remind Torontonians that the TTC belongs to them; that might make it harder for politicians, both municipal and provincial, to turn automatically to the system when they're looking for costs to cut. At the moment they can do that almost with impunity, but it should be the last place they go.

As the TTC goes, so goes Toronto. That's something worth studying.

Now this negativity seems to have rubbed off on passengers, who treat the system with a disregard bordering on contempt.

Get on at Landowne. Two seats away is a well dressed guy. Has a coffee. Gets up as the train pulls into Ossington. Drops his coffee on the seat. Plunk. And gets off. Didn't look back at the wet spot that was now waiting to soak someone's butt.

Some people don't give a shit.

The whole "walk left, stand right" notion drives me mad the most, it is ignored so often. The worst is when people standing are staggered: right side, left side, right side... I never noticed the signs were removed, not that it even mattered.

The other thing that pisses me off are those people who get off the subway and run like mad to make the next train. I notice this the most at Sheppard. People push and run just to make it to a platform where the train hasn't even arrived. I've had the temptation to stick my foot out to the side on several occasions, but that would just be mean.

Spadina Station remains my least favourite station to board a train at peak periods. People (the seniors in particular) are especially rude, crowding doors to board the train and pushing people aside to get a seat.

Other big pet peeves:
#1) above all people blocking the doors. I see that you may have no choice when the train is full, but if you are standing by the doors, make an effort to get out of the area, or if you still are when the train is at a station, just walk off the train and stand outside by the doors and let people get off

#2) People who don't let people get off first before boarding the train

#3) Mobility challenged people who insist on being the first person off the train and onto the escalators.... they're asking to be bowled over one day... if you're going to need extra time, don't be the first person on the escalator or the first person getting off the train.

#4) Those damn whippersnapper teenagers... for too many reasons to list here. (this makes me feel old... i'm only 22 for f's sake)

Let me guess: Hume took the ttc for the first time in 10 years?!

TTC riders for the most part are same old stare-at-the-floor-or-anywhere-but-make-eye-contact people they've always been (in contrast to mtl where i got used to using the metro as a pickup joint:) ) However, I make a point on the TTC of making eye contact with those I find attractive--with a fairly high success rate of return!

It is a popular story in the Star so Hume had to appeal to average Star reader (the suburban office worker?)

But, the TTC has always seemed rather staid, grim and reminds me of a giant public housing complex:( Get some colour down there! Some loving! Some romance!

The other thing that pisses me off are those people who get off the subway and run like mad to make the next train. I notice this the most at Sheppard. People push and run just to make it to a platform where the train hasn't even arrived. I've had the temptation to stick my foot out to the side on several occasions, but that would just be mean.

Oh, you do need to rush to get on the Sheppard trains...they invariably pull away from the station just as people begin pouring up from the Yonge line, so very often you can only get on if you actually run. You get bizarre loading patterns that way - one train is almost empty and the next is beyond crushed full, leaving people on the platform.

Oh, you do need to rush to get on the Sheppard trains...they invariably pull away from the station just as people begin pouring up from the Yonge line, so very often you can only get on if you actually run. You get bizarre loading patterns that way - one train is almost empty and the next is beyond crushed full, leaving people on the platform.

I agree the Sheppard trains tend to leave just as people start getting up the stairs/escalators, but if you have to wait a few extra minutes for the next one, big deal. If you are trying to catch a bus at Don Mills, depending on which route you are taking, it is either arriving every few minutes (Sheppard East, Don Mills), or it comes at unpredictable intervals (Pharmacy, Huntingwood) and you don't know if it will be on time or 10 minutes late. The best thing to do is get on the Yonge train near the middle of the 3rd car so that upon arrival at Sheppard, the stairs nearest to the Sheppard tracks are right there and you'll be one of the first to get on the Sheppard train.

My main issue are with the people who run from the Sheppard trains to the bottle-necks at the stairs and escalator trying to get down to the Yonge platform. I find that to be a safety concern.

It *is* a big deal if it perpetually and unnecessarily adds 5 minutes to your trip...if they'd have proper and timed frequencies, people wouldn't need to rush to make the connection. Timing the Sheppard trains to leave a minute after Yonge trains arrive - not 20 seconds after - is not rocket science.

It would be easy to time the trains in such a fashion, at least on paper, but the realities of unexpected delays at some point in one's trip makes it difficult to have consistent travel times. That's something that one has to expect when making use of public transit, and even driving. The longer the trip, the greater the chance of delays, and adding 5 minutes a day is insignificant when there is already 2 hours a day spent commuting.

But maybe it is significant to some and I'm just not one who needs to rush everywhere I go. Everyone is different and values time in different ways. An extra 5 minutes added to my day means an extra 5 minutes reading and/or listening to my iPod.

I don't ride the Sheppard very often, but my experience is the exact opposite of yours. At least during rush hours I noticed that the train would idle for a long time after the Yonge train arrived. This frustrated me and it also perplexed me when I would see people running to the train.

^ It's the same experience, just at different times during the experience...a select few who run make one train, while the majority then wait for the next train to leave - it will idle for about 4 minutes. Sometimes 2 or 3 Yonge trains arrive for every Sheppard train that leaves, causing the idling train to become completely overcrowded.

Spadina Station remains my least favourite station to board a train at peak periods. People (the seniors in particular) are especially rude, crowding doors to board the train and pushing people aside to get a seat.

Isn't it a coincidence that Spadina happens to be the station where suburban Chinese passengers transfer between subway and streetcar? I get annoyed when people show poor etiquette on the TTC, but it's especially annoying when the offender is Chinese. We Chinese are already seen as exporters of toxic toys and poisoned toothpaste, and as people who have turned Spadina and Dundas into a garbage dump. Rude Chinese TTC passengers won't help improve our image one bit.

Maybe the TTC should take a page out of Hong Kong's rapid transit systems to prevent people from crowding the doors at Spadina. Draw lines on the platform to show people where to line-up and wait for the train. Just before the train arrives at the station, make a trilingual announcement on the PA (Cantonese, Mandarin, English) to remind passengers to let people exit the train before getting on. It worked surprisingly well in Hong Kong to improve transit etiquette... maybe it will work here too.

Mtr-platform_queue_lines.jpg

I've seen it all - good and bad. I can't say it's getting worse or better, but we should expect nothing less than our transit etiquette to be similar to our etiquette in other areas of life.

That would be cool if they had announcements in English, Cantonese and Mandarin at Spadina station. It would feel like you had just stepped into Hong Kong! lol ok maybe not, but if you close your eyes and imagine...

But maybe it is significant to some and I'm just not one who needs to rush everywhere I go. Everyone is different and values time in different ways. An extra 5 minutes added to my day means an extra 5 minutes reading and/or listening to my iPod.
However, in potential crowded/bottleneck situations, it might still be useful to make way for others. You can't simply go at a Hwy 2 pace on the 401, remember...

Back