News   Apr 26, 2024
 592     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 704     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

Wal-Mart's website is a similar disaster with way too many poor quality third party vendors.

WRT pricing - I wish more stores had self-serve price-check scanners.
I've noticed that they have disappeared from some Wal-Marts.

Wal-Mart's website is a similar disaster with way too many poor quality third party vendors.

WRT pricing - I wish more stores had self-serve price-check scanners.
I've noticed that they have disappeared from some Wal-Marts.

Although I have used self checkout the odd time with a single item when I was in a hurry and the sole cashier was backed up, I decided to draw a line in the ethical sand. If a store wants me to absorb a slice of their labour costs then they can give me a discount. What's next - backing the truck up to the loading dock and letting the customer have at it?

I won't even bag my groceries - I've determined (and been told) that I'm just bad at it.

Old grocer here. There is a "right way" to bag groceries (much easier in a paper bag or other bag that stands up). I bag my own because I do a better job :)

Although I have used self checkout the odd time with a single item when I was in a hurry and the sole cashier was backed up, I decided to draw a line in the ethical sand. If a store wants me to absorb a slice of their labour costs then they can give me a discount. What's next - backing the truck up to the loading dock and letting the customer have at it?

I won't even bag my groceries - I've determined (and been told) that I'm just bad at it.

I use the self-check-outs, but I meant the price scanners that are placed on posts around the store so customers can check prices.

woman-swaps-bar-codes-at-walmart-pays-3-for-computer-promo-image.jpg

I use the self-check-outs, but I meant the price scanners that are placed on posts around the store so customers can check prices.

I find these to be useful. You know how many times I've got into stores, not just Walmart where items aren't labeled correctly or dumped somewhere?

The bay really can't use these though. Can you imagine scanning a Casper Mattress?

I've not seen those before, then again I can't remember the last time I was in Walmart, certainly the grocery side. Canadian Tire has them, or at least used to, and I found that half the time they didn't work.

Old grocer here. There is a "right way" to bag groceries (much easier in a paper bag or other bag that stands up). I bag my own because I do a better job :)

It seems it's a skill daddy didn't teach me. I just got back from grocery shopping. I opted for boxes this time (they're free). Turns out I'm just as bad at boxing! The poor checkout staff have such a pained look on their faces watching me.

I've not seen those before, then again I can't remember the last time I was in Walmart, certainly the grocery side. Canadian Tire has them, or at least used to, and I found that half the time they didn't work.

They had alot more in their stores but as they fail they are being removed without replacement. I find them useful in some cases.

It seems it's a skill daddy didn't teach me. I just got back from grocery shopping. I opted for boxes this time (they're free). Turns out I'm just as bad at boxing! The poor checkout staff have such a pained look on their faces watching me.

I don't want to distract you from using regular checkouts.........

But just as an FYI.

Heavy stuff at the bottom; where possible, square/rectangular stuff at the bottom.

Position items to 'open the bag', making it easier to load everything else.

Irregular shapes, mid-weight go next, light, and fragile on top.

Multiple fragile items (prone to getting squashed), give'em their own bag.

Ideally everything frozen together, everything needing refrigeration w/frozen or together on its own.

Non-vac-packed meat in its own bag (avoids cross-contamination, should be separate from anything you might consume raw, so produce, and breads etc.)

Personally, I prefer self-checkouts, as I'm faster than most cashiers/lines.

With the notable exception if I have large number of items that require codes (typically produce or bulk); as I need to look those up, and that adversely impacts by timeliness.

Last edited:
^^ This is apparently far too complex for me to master. I'm starting to understanding the attraction of services like Good Eats and Skip the Dishes - or the drive-thru. 😄

Visited The Bay store at Centrepoint yesterday and found that they top level has been completely emptied out. There were signs posted up saying they were renovating. All the men’s clothing has been shifted to the main floor and there seems to be an area that will be designated for a Top Shop.

I saw on CTV 6pm news tonight that Hudson's Bay at Centrepoint is closed.
I couldn't find an online source to share but the CTV report showed notices posted on the door from:
Hudson's Bay - "We are closed until further notice"
Morguard (landlord) - lease terminated due to non payment of rent

HBC told CTV "we are eager to reach a fair resolution at our Centrepoint location"".

Quebec judge orders Hudson's Bay to pay rent to landlords at multiple shopping malls

November 23, 2020

A Quebec judge has ordered Hudson's Bay Co. to pay rent at several of its department stores in the province, saying the retailer cannot take the law into its own hands.

In separate rulings issued Friday, Justice Katheryne Desfosses granted safeguard order applications made by shopping mall landlords Cominar Real Estate Investment Trust, Oxford Properties Group and Dorval Property Corporation.

The Quebec Superior Court judge ordered HBC to pay the full outstanding rent at multiple locations starting from when the applications were filed and extending for a six month period – the maximum time the emergency order can apply – or until a judgement on a the merits of each case is rendered.

The decisions were handed down on the same day an HBC department store in B.C. was reportedly shuttered for non-payment of rent, and two weeks after an Ontario judge ordered HBC to pay half the rent owing at a Richmond Hill, Ont., store to stave off eviction.

Daniel O’Donnell, a spokesman for Oxford, says the real estate company welcomes the court’s decision, and is now calling on the retailer and its "New York-based private-equity owners" to honour its obligations and pay rent across Canada.

Ian Putnam, president and CEO of HBC Properties and Investments, says the company is continuing to seek a "fair and mutually-beneficial compromise" during the pandemic.

HBC Queen St remains open despite lockdown:

A company spokesperson said the store is “essential” because it sells groceries.

HBC told the Star Monday that Pusateri’s, located in the Saks outlet adjacent to the Bay, is open. The Pusateri’s website says the location is closed and not expected to reopen until January because of “limited access.”

It was called out during Ford’s presser today. They are really stretching to call themselves essential.

Back