News   Apr 23, 2024
 897     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 496     0 

How's the weather in your area?

Eug

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's interesting to read the weather report right now (7:15 am 2012-08-10) because it says it's light rain at Pearson.

LightRain.png

However, in my area, Scarborough Bluffs, it seems like the apocalypse, with a huge tropical-like downpour for the past several hours. My backyard is flooded in spots and so is the road. It's feels even worse than what we got a few weeks ago, which was I believe around 9 cm in just a couple of hours. A lot of people's homes got flooded, so I'm glad our main sewer lines were upgraded by the city just recently. And I guess this guy doesn't have a backflow valve.

Fortunately my basement is dry as a bone, but my sump pump is working overtime. It feels like I should be building an ark or something. Or at least maybe get my sump pump serviced soon to make sure it keeps running in the future.

There is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning though, so I guess the weather report isn't completely off:

A strong thunderstorm that developed over Lake Ontario is tracking northeast towards Eastern Toronto, Pickering and Ajax. This storm is fairly slow moving and producing heavy downpours. It may also have a waterspout associated which could move onshore before dissipating. Severe thunderstorms are imminent or occurring in the area. These storms may produce large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall. Remember that some severe thunderstorms can also produce tornadoes. Emergency management Ontario recommends taking cover immediately when threatening weather approaches.

How is the weather in your spot of the GTA?

Last edited:
That weather report clearly says 6:00am EDT while the thunderstorm you experienced was 75 minutes later. The current conditions are only updated once every hour. So the difference from what you experience at the bluff might be more due to time. Thunderstorm don't last long, affect smaller area so this is important. Also, Weather Network get their data from Weather Office which updates the hourly info more quickly.

It's -1.6°C in Weston. It's 0.0°C in Mimico. As at 11:29 AM on April 15, 2018. Freezing rain right now, but the temperature is going up ever so slowly.

Unfortunately, the forecast calls for 5-10 mm of rain this Sunday afternoon, another 10-15 mm of rain this Sunday evening, and another 15-20 mm of rain this Sunday night. With the ice pallets accumulated, I'll expect the sewer grates to be plugged up resulting in street flooding.

However, in my area, Scarborough Bluffs, it seems like the apocalypse, with a huge tropical-like downpour for the past several hours. My backyard is flooded in spots and so is the road. It's feels even worse than what we got a few weeks ago, which was I believe around 9 cm in just a couple of hours. A lot of people's homes got flooded, so I'm glad our main sewer lines were upgraded by the city just recently. And I guess this guy doesn't have a backflow valve.

Fortunately my basement is dry as a bone, but my sump pump is working overtime. It feels like I should be building an ark or something. Or at least maybe get my sump pump serviced soon to make sure it keeps running in the future.

There is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning though, so I guess the weather report isn't completely off:

A strong thunderstorm that developed over Lake Ontario is tracking northeast towards Eastern Toronto, Pickering and Ajax. This storm is fairly slow moving and producing heavy downpours. It may also have a waterspout associated which could move onshore before dissipating. Severe thunderstorms are imminent or occurring in the area. These storms may produce large hail, damaging winds or heavy rainfall. Remember that some severe thunderstorms can also produce tornadoes. Emergency management Ontario recommends taking cover immediately when threatening weather approaches.

How is the weather in your spot of the GTA?

You might want to consider a pump with a battery back-up. Pretty cheap insurance when you think about the cost of a failure. We seem to be getting more frequent bouts of heavy rain lately.

I'm north of the GTA and it's been all snow and wind since yesterday. It's hard to tell because of the wind but some sources say 20-30cm for our area. Snow in April isn't unusual but I can't recall ever having a driveway made impassible . When I was out blowing this morning, it was stinging on my face so I'm guessing ice pellets. I'm really not happy with Ms Nature right now. We have new deck furniture coming this week. Not a moment too soon!

Ugh, gross. Too warm. ;)

I love this sort of stormy and wintery weather. Makes me feel alive.
It actually feels much cooler now as the skies are overcast and there is a strong breeze. The previous week was absolutely stifling when in direct sunlight, though.

If you really want to feel alive, run into a doorframe, barefoot, at full speed. That is how I broke my baby toe on my 9th birthday. My older brother shut off the lights in the basement and said, “I think I heard a ghost,” which led to the incident. My baby toe and its adjacent one looked like they were giving the Vulcan salute, due to the former’s dislocation.

Last edited:
I haven’t left the house all. It’s 6pm and the whole family, including myself are still in our pyjamas. Read a book on motorcycle electrics, kids did some homework, and now they’re playing cello and sax while singing theme song to movie 9to5. I think wife is about to break out her clarinet. Too bad I can’t play a thing, wish I’d joined band at Malvern CI when I’d met wife 2B. The Beez household is taking a snowy day of rest.

I haven’t left the house all. It’s 6pm and the whole family, including myself are still in our pyjamas. Read a book on motorcycle electrics, kids did some homework, and now they’re playing cello and sax while singing theme song to movie 9to5. I think wife is about to break out her clarinet. Too bad I can’t play a thing, wish I’d joined band at Malvern CI when I’d met wife 2B. The Beez household is taking a snowy day of rest.
Don’t shortchange yourself. I am sure you play a mean kazoo.

You should ditch the pyjamas and slip into something a little more comfortable.

Back