News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

How to select a lawyer?

Somayeh

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any recommendations on how to select a lawyer for closing a buying agreement? Not that I'm there yet (or anytime soon!) but like to be proactive! Are legal fees generally the same, or should I contact multiple lawyers and look for the best rates? Can I assume any lawyer can do a simple condo resale transaction, or are lawyers specialized in one area vs. another and I should find a specialized one? Any recommendations for any lawyers? Any other thing I should be aware of?

Any recommendations on how to select a lawyer for closing a buying agreement?
- typically through referrals, word of mouth. sometimes the lawyers make their rounds into bank branches' who set-up mortgage seminars and what not

Are legal fees generally the same, or should I contact multiple lawyers and look for the best rates?
- if it's a straight forward sale then it's pretty much the same. if you for example you require add-on services like power of atty, etc. then you get charged a la carte

Can I assume any lawyer can do a simple condo resale transaction, or are lawyers specialized in one area vs. another and I should find a specialized one?
- in some firms, you'll be surprised to know that it's the staff of the law office in-charge of real estate that handles it and you rarely hear from the lawyer him/herself. the process is pretty much standardized that any law office can handle it.

Any recommendations for any lawyers?
- will send you a private message

Any other thing I should be aware of?
- the law office will send you a questionnaire and it asks for a lot of info (name, address, IDs, agent details, bank details, etc.)

homelegalcost.com
Check out this site for a quick online quote. I have used this company on a number of occasions and was always pleased with the service. Either way, the online quote will give you a cost baseline to work from.

Speaking of lawyers, does anybody have comments/experience on the law office of Aaron & Aaron Barristers & Solicitors? They are located in the financial district. Are they expensive?

www.aaron.ca

Back