News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

How to regulate or limit renovictions?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just watched this on CBC.

These two landlords sound like right bastards.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/renovictions-forcing-renters-to-edge-of-bankruptcy-1.5085493
1577757105399.png

How to regulate or limit? Best way is to make sure tenants know their rights.

The article states you are entitled to 3 months rent, plus you can move back in once renovations are completed - at the same rent you were paying before. If everyone was aware of this, renoviction's wouldn't be as common. I think landlords are taking advantage of the fact that many people are not aware of their rights.

Sure it will be tough for some to find a place to stay in the meantime, but I imagine most would be able to find reasonable accommodations and appreciate coming back to a renovated unit at the same price they were previously paying. I'd definitely be up for that.

How to regulate or limit? Best way is to make sure tenants know their rights.

The article states you are entitled to 3 months rent, plus you can move back in once renovations are completed - at the same rent you were paying before. If everyone was aware of this, renoviction's wouldn't be as common. I think landlords are taking advantage of the fact that many people are not aware of their rights.
Knowing your rights is only useful if your rights can be protected and enforced at little to no cost to yourself. IMO, there needs to be a rental property registry in Toronto, showing the rents and status of the property. As well there needs to be a firm separation of your own home and residential rental property ownership - controlling the old, my son needs this space now routine of evictions.

Back