How to improve life in Greater Toronto?

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
How to improve life in Greater Toronto?

May 22 2010

Antonia Zerbisias, Mark Zwolinski, Vanessa Lu, and Gale Beeby

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/yourcitymycity/article/813394--how-to-improve-life-in-greater-toronto

###########################

As part of the Your City, My City series, the Star is asking prominent residents the same question: What one thing would you suggest to improve life in Greater Toronto?

CITO GASTON, Blue Jays manager:

“You know, that’s a hard question to answer. We have a great city here and I think it’s still one of the best-kept secrets in thewhole world. I’ve lived here for a long time and I'll live here in the summer (after he retires from managing at the end of this season).

It’s hard to think of something, even one thing that I’d change. But I’ll bet you they (politicians) wished they would have completed the Spadina (expressway) extension. You have to go around the city on both sides now, not through it. That’s the only thing I can think of.â€

—Mark Zwolinski

CAROL WILDING, president and CEO of Toronto Board of Trade

“Get out and vote. This October, we’re going to elect a new mayor, but typically only four out of every 10 Torontonians cast a ballot. We need people to get out there, better turnouts produce stronger mandates. Everybody has great ideas to make a great city even better.

The best way to turn those ideas into action is to get people to exercise their democratic right at the poll, and vote for the candidate they think stands for a better Toronto.

Our Board of Trade campaign is really pushing what the pressing issues, how do we drive debate, how do we identify solutions, how do we motivate people to take part?

NEIL HETHERINGTON, CEO of Habitat for Humanity, Toronto

“I would like to see Toronto increase its green efforts. As a first-class city and the most affluent in Canada, we have the ability and should lead the way in reducing the size of our ecological footprint. Be an example for the rest of Canada and around the world.

Start by expanding our public transit systems and cutting down on the congestion that paralyzes the city. With the cost of living in Toronto being so high and unattainable for many, people are given no choice but to commute far distances. A collaborated effort by all three levels of government to fix our insufficient system would help. Give Torontonians more options.

Green efforts can also be increased by promotion of more energy efficiency in and outside of homes. From the products that we all use, to the manner in which developments are built. We can all make a concerted effort, and our government has the ability to encourage citizens to not only use more green products, but help reduce the costs by passing on the savings, while also setting higher standards.

Environmental stewardship is important and we have to do what we can to make a positive, lasting impact on our city.â€

—Gale Beeby

Inform yourself. Take an informed stand on the issues. Get the information that you need in order to make an intelligent and thoughtful decision. More importantly, get out and cast your ballot.â€

—Vanessa Lu

###########################

I have been a fan of Gaston, but this is really makes it difficut to wish him well. The others make motherhood statements, but Gaston seems like an American who just doesn't get Toronto. He knows about managing a team into the World Championship, and he knows even more about hitting, bu, he's not into town planning, and, thank god, he'll probably be out of here by the time the election comes.

I have been a fan of Gaston, but this is really makes it difficut to wish him well. The others make motherhood statements, but Gaston seems like an American who just doesn't get Toronto. He knows about managing a team into the World Championship, and he knows even more about hitting, bu, he's not into town planning, and, thank god, he'll probably be out of here by the time the election comes.

I agree. If Gaston thinks we need a highway right through the centre of Toronto, he knows shit about this city and what we need. A subway would be more like it but I'm sure Gaston would never think of using one.

How does wishing for the Spadina Expressway make him "an American who doesn't get Toronto"? I'm sure there are many Torontonians who would also like the Spadina Expressway... and I'm sure there are many Americans who are against expressways going through cities.

He lived here for a few years in car friendly Etobicoke, but has spent the vast majority of his life in the US, and now lives there again except for baseball season, so he is an American. And if he thinks that the majority of politicians in Toronto would admit that they want Spadina (as we used to call it),or that the majority of us voters want it, he sure doesn't get Toronto.

Additionally, expressways are more of a feature of American cities than Canadian, especially in the southern US cities like San Antonio, and Corpus Christi where he grew up, and Atlanta and San Diego where he was a centre fielder. Compare these places with Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. It's not so much his wanting the expressway that makes him American. Rob Ford would probably want it too, if he dared admit it.

uhh the guy is a baseball manager. I'm sure if I asked the vast majority of people on this board to comment on Aaron Hill's season last year no one would bring up the absurd flyballs-to-homeruns ratio he had (actually I'd be surprised if half of you knew who Aaron Hill was, and I'd be even more surprised if you could pick him out of a lineup). In Cito, you're asking a guy who probably got blindsided by the question and probably never gave two thoughts about it (and probably hasn't thought about it since).

Back