News   Jul 14, 2020
 371     0 
News   Jul 13, 2020
 379     0 
News   Jul 13, 2020
 1.6K     0 

How to get Canada's oil to export markets?

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yet another nail in the national consensus. When does consultation become an excuse for endless litigation and rent-seeking?
Let the legal process work itself through as needed. Rent seeking? As long as those getting the rent are in Canada, such as indigenous groups I'm fine with that. Everyone has a price.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Let the legal process work itself through as needed. Rent seeking? As long as those getting the rent are in Canada, such as indigenous groups I'm fine with that. Everyone has a price.
And the wealthy law firms. It's important that make make some money to pay for rent.

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course, but you should be able to recognize when the board has tipped over- that as long as native groups can freely litigate with public money (and with the help of foreign NGO groups), they will act in their own interests in maximizing their payout and political profile. This no-risk legal action essentially trivializes real legal action (which should always be championed) and turns everything into a sue-til-you-win process.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
as long as native groups can freely litigate with public money
Yes, there will be waste, but if their cases have no merit they’ll be tossed. These oil pipelines will only happen if there is clear agreement and benefit for the indigenous groups. I see no other option beyond abandonment.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's blindingly obvious that the resource should be more developed here and not just pumped away in its most basic form. What a waste of economic opportunity.
Looks like you may get your wish. But can we refine Alberta’s oil here at even pre-pandemic oil price lows?

“Joe Biden will cancel the Keystone XL pipeline if he's elected president of the United States, his campaign said Monday in a potential death blow for the delay-plagued Canada-U.S. oil project.“

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/biden-kxl-1.5574515

Attachments

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good. I'm sick of seeing raw resources get exported at bottom dollar and then re-imported at top dollar as value added end products.

It's so small-minded and economically stifling.

I have to order zinc sheet from Belgium and France even though it was mined here.

No, it's not cheaper to ship it to Europe, refine it there, and then ship it back.

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
Good. I'm sick of seeing raw resources get exported at bottom dollar and then re-imported at top dollar as value added end products.

It's so small-minded and economically stifling.

I have to order zinc sheet from Belgium and France even though it was mined here.

No, it's not cheaper to ship it to Europe, refine it there, and then ship it back.
You really want to see the worst of this? Forget oil. Despite every single resource to build electric cars we are going to lose the entire auto sector to the US, Europe and China. Not one battery factory being built in Canada. But all those factories will get their resources from Canada.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
You really want to see the worst of this? Forget oil. Despite every single resource to build electric cars we are going to lose the entire auto sector to the US, Europe and China. Not one battery factory being built in Canada. But all those factories will get their resources from Canada.

If we have the largest/easiest to access supply; ideally we would get the value-add jobs.

Failing that, we should apply an export tariff (not enough to stifle sales, but enough to let the state profit extra from the resource and to slightly shift the economics in favour of bringing the value-add jobs here.)

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Batteries?!?!?!

Yeah, right, that's way too high-minded technologically-speaking for us to even contemplate.

We're fine selling ourselves out for bottom dollar and then importing our resources back for triple the cost!!! Business!!