News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

How common are homes without 3-prong grounded outlets in Toronto?

And if that GFCI advice is accurate, then getting protected outlets is not such a big deal, since you can just change the outlets (albeit at $10 per receptacle just for the outlet

It's not even that expensive.. it's $10 per circuit for regular 15amp circuits, plus around 99 cents for each outlet behind it.

Regarding the house with the fake electrical upgrade, I would have phoned ESA to let them know about it.

And if that GFCI advice is accurate, then getting protected outlets is not such a big deal, since you can just change the outlets

...If the advice were accurate.

According to the code, it's perfectly accurate.

Too bad you have no understanding of the code and prefer to spew dangerous advice instead....but that's just you ;)

As mentioned, but obviously not understood by you, a GFCI doesn't provide a safety ground.

Ask someone to help you to inderstand those words, or post back and I'll try to explain what asafety ground it...since you're so confused, yet arrogant about it.

No.

A GFCI device monitors the current flowing through the hot and neutral wires to the load, and imbalance in this current indicates a third path for current to flow. This is the result of a fault in the load. The GFCI breaker trips when this is detected to prevent electrocution....since there IS NO safety ground present.
Right, but would this still not be safer than the existing situation of no ground and no GFCI?

Anyways, as I indicated in my post, my advice would be to consult an electrician.

Right, but would this still not be safer than the existing situation of no ground and no GFCI?

Anyways, as I indicated in my post, my advice would be to consult an electrician.

Slightly...but provides a false sense of security....as seen in this thread.

I have an EE degree, but you should certainly consult an electrician.

Too bad you have no understanding of the code and prefer to spew dangerous advice instead....but that's just you ;)

As mentioned, but obviously not understood by you, a GFCI doesn't provide a safety ground.

Ask someone to help you to inderstand those words, or post back and I'll try to explain what asafety ground it...since you're so confused, yet arrogant about it.

I'm still waiting for you to apologize for your previously slanderous remarks about my work and know you continue to think you now better than someone that does this for a living.

Let me give you a number:
Section 26-700, subsection 8.
Go you your local library and look that up in the ontario electrical code. Hopefully after you've read it you will be man enough to apologize.

I'm still waiting for you to apologize

Hold your breath.

Hopefully after you've read it you will be man enough to apologize.

...and I should apologise?

I understand the code, you clearly don't....why don't you be a man and admit that you're clueless and don't understand electricity....I've read your other posts...you're dangerous.
Your arrogance will get you killed.

You should apologize for giving such deadly and uninformed advice....you really don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps you should just quote the section that says a GFCI creates a safety ground....and then apologise ;)

Hold your breath.

...and I should apologise?

I understand the code, you clearly don't....why don't you be a man and admit that you're clueless and don't understand electricity....I've read your other posts...you're dangerous.
Your arrogance will get you killed.

You should apologize for giving such deadly and uninformed advice....you really don't know what you're talking about.

Please enlighten me and all the ESA inspectors.

You obviously wouldn't understand....for enlightenment...read back a few pages.

I read your posting. A GFI doesn't create a bond. Yeah, and?

The last part of your posting was that you're not allowed to replaced 2 prong plugs with 3 prongs plugs if you GFI protect it. That's wrong, it's done all the time, it's perfectly acceptable and I was able to prove it to you with a code.

Also, where have I provided dangerous information on this website?

Perhaps you should just quote the section that says a GFCI creates a safety ground....and then apologise ;)
???

To wade into the argument: As far as I can tell, nowhere in this thread have I or Wooba said that a GFCI outlet grounds the circuit. That was stated by someone else. The word I specifically used was "protect".

???

To wade into the argument. As far as I can tell, nowhere in this thread have I or Wooba said that a GFCI outlet grounds the circuit. That was stated by someone else.

Thanks Eug, I missed that he said that.
As you said, I never made any claim that this was the case.

Yes, the electrical code allows GFCi's on an ungrounded circuit, but in reality, it doesn't offer any other additional grounding protection that an ungrounded receptacle would.

In regards to the Bungalows with the two pronged receptacles, did any of your neighbours actually examine what type of wire they're using, or take the receptacle apart?

My house which was also built in the 50's had two prong receptacles everywhere, but they were all connected with two conductor + ground wire.

For the record, I won't do my own electrical wiring, precisely because I think it's stupid for n00bs to do electrical.

The only "wiring" I've done is network cabling. And even for that, I called the city to ask. Apparently they don't care about network cabling, as there is no inspection required for an individual private home for standard network cabling. So, I just bought some CMR CAT5e and away I went...

Oh and I won't do plumbing or gas either. I can understand somebody doing their own plumbing though, since a mistake there will just wreck the house, not kill you. ;)

Yes, the electrical code allows GFCi's on an ungrounded circuit, but in reality, it doesn't offer any other additional grounding protection that an ungrounded receptacle would.

In regards to the Bungalows with the two pronged receptacles, did any of your neighbours actually examine what type of wire they're using, or take the receptacle apart?

My house which was also built in the 50's had two prong receptacles everywhere, but they were all connected with two conductor + ground wire.
Interesting. Was any of that added after the fact? I do believe that at least one of them has 2-conductor wiring at least in one part of the house, but I don't know about the other parts of the house or the other neighbours.

Last edited:

Back