News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 865     0 

Hotel and Convention Centre (MCC, Living Arts Centre site)

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how this all pans out. We might get some interesting proposals and designs considering the site itself and Sheridan being to the north and City Hall to the south.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=60e5fe071982c83f724878ca920904f395adee53&projectid=9137813&region=ontario

HOTEL AND CONVENTION CENTRE Proj: 9137813-1
Mississauga, Peel Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
Living Arts Dr, L5B 4B8
$25,000,000 est
Note: Owner has issued a Request for Information (FA.49.673-11) to develop concepts for the creation of a hotel and convention centre. Further update fall 2011.
Budget for this project has not been released.
Project: proposed construction of a hotel and convention centre. Scope of work has not been finalized.
Scope: 6 acres
Development: New
Category: Hotels, motels; Public bldgs
Owner Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
This report Wed Jun 08, 2011.

20110607033.jpg

Interesting, indeed. If T.O. can have an "L Tower" maybe Mississauga could try for an "M tower" or maybe an "H-tower" over the existing LAC

Kidding aside, the living arts centre is 14 years old, it seems like such a waste to correct past mistakes. But I guess to make a better city centre this is required.

It would indeed be a waste, one hopes the city can maybe purchase the land needed to have convention centre located in MCC without having to raise LAC.

My personal feeling is that the land beside Community Common just behind LAC, would be the best site, if it is large enough to accommodate the a hotel and convention centre. I guess we'll learn soon enough once the proposals come in.

Are they actually getting rid of it, I thought it was on land beside it ?

Are they actually getting rid of it, I thought it was on land beside it ?

I don't think anyone is really sure.

My understanding is that the land beside it -- I assume you mean the empty lot to the West of Sheridan College -- is for future phases of Sheridan expansion. While the empty lot behind LAC is not owned by the city. There is a parking lot to the East of LAC, I don't think that is in play.

I don't think anyone is really sure.

My understanding is that the land beside it -- I assume you mean the empty lot to the West of Sheridan College -- is for future phases of Sheridan expansion. While the empty lot behind LAC is not owned by the city. There is a parking lot to the East of LAC, I don't think that is in play.

I mean if they rebuild a theatre why not ? How many seats is it anyway.

I mean if they rebuild a theatre why not ? How many seats is it anyway.
Max is 1,300 for Hammerson Hall when the stage is push in, but is setup for mostly 1,000. Very few events see 1,000.

The Orchestras rarely see 600 these days to the point the Orchestras (3rd) level is close off.

The Royal Bank Theater seats 100-350 depending on the setup and event.

The Bank of Montreal seats 100.

Since this thing is still millions dollars in debit and needs major overhual, tear it down and start from scratch with it been part of this new complex. But lets do it right this time.

I know someone in City Hall who is in the know and they don't know where it going.

Max is 1,300 for Hammerson Hall when the stage is push in, but is setup for mostly 1,000. Very few events see 1,000.

The Orchestras rarely see 600 these days to the point the Orchestras (3rd) level is close off.

The Royal Bank Theater seats 100-350 depending on the setup and event.

The Bank of Montreal seats 100.

Since this thing is still millions dollars in debit and needs major overhual, tear it down and start from scratch with it been part of this new complex. But lets do it right this time.

I know someone in City Hall who is in the know and they don't know where it going.

What does do it right mean exactly ? In regards to the facility it self. I'm sure they build a more interesting building but I'm not sure that helps the economics.
Though with a convention center, if they can use if for that for many venues it may work out great. Diversification is probably key here!

I've just seen some of the preliminary studies for this one and can share a few vague details.

1. The complex is going to sit on the same block as the Living Arts Centre.
2. It will likely comprise three or four new buildings.

I'll have to check and see if I'm allowed to be any more specific than that, sorry.

Three or four new buildings? Hmmm. That must mean the LAC will be coming down.

There is 3 ways of doing at this time.

One, you tear it down with the city hoping it can recovery the outstanding debit that it stills carries on the book for it since it has never paid off the original cost nor made a profit since opening day with this new development.

The 2nd way is build on the green space area and connect to the existing structure.

The 3rd way is to tear down parts of it like the north side and butt the new addition to the remaining section. At the same time, the glass east side could be removed also as part of option 3.

Having spent over 10 years volunteering at the LAC, something needs to change. It is one very sick place, run down, poorly management, sit empty half the time. The last figure I heard a few years ago, it will required over $10 million to fix some of the big items.

When you talk to various people about the LAC, they don’t know about it. If they want a night out on the town or take in a performance, they go to Toronto. A fair number will go to the Rose theater in Brampton as it is a better place and have better options on performances. I agree with the statement on Brampton and have been there.

It might over-complicate any re-design to incorporate the existing theatre into the new facility. If it's a genuine 'convention center' they are going for, then largest amount of felxible, open floor space is key. A theatre(s) could always be situated on a lower level, much like it is downtown at MTCC.

I think an elevated, 2nd floor convention space makes most sense, with a theatre and meeting spaces occupying ground and B1 levels. Put the hotel in one corner and you're set. Really - a smaller MTCC with a little more thought to street level would be about right.

Anyone know the dimensions of the property?

Back