News   Aug 23, 2024
 844     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 504     0 

Hosting a summer Olympic games

And on the other hand, big sporting events are useful in just forcing our bureaucratic states to get things done (unfortunately).

Pam Am was undoubtedly a net boon for our city in terms of the infrastructure left behind.
Which is why although the money could be spent elsewhere, it doesn't get spent elsewhere. Vancouver could use another Olympics so that it can build more housing, or it could just build that same housing, Same for the GTA. It could either just build the housing,or it could host an Olympics, and still build the housing. Same for transit....

My 2 cents to this topic as I USED to be a supporter of such bids in the past.

Winter games are child's play compared to summer games, and there is no place nearby Toronto that could host the downhill event for Alpine Skiing, so that eliminates that possibility right there. This is why Winter Olympics are generally in obscure places, because the right geography is necessary to be capable of hosting them, even though more recently, the concept of "Anchor Cities" has existed, in reality the 2010 Olympics could be thought of as Vancouver-Whistler. Like how 2026 will be Milan-Cortina.

That being said, had Toronto won 2008, the city would arguably be in much better infrastructure shape, because all governments would work together to build transportation infrastructure, or we at least would assume so. But nevertheless, why does it require hosting the "Five Ring Circus" to do this, and considering after some very bad financial Olympics, think Athens, Beijing, Rio, and the notorious winter games of Sochi, the Olympic movement is in very bad shape. People celebrated in Vancouver when they won the 2003 Winter Bid, nowadays hosting the Olympics is seen as a curse rather than a positive.

I'm caught for time right now, and if you want me to elaborate more I can.

The Paris Olympics seem to have been quite successful in contrast to some of those notorious disasters mentioned above. I was hooked watching them!

I think the general issue of a Toronto bid, the costs, the risks, and the notion that at least in theory the benefits of the games could and should ideally be arrived at w/o the cost and hassle have been well covered.

What I would add is, the Olympics are simply too large.

Too many 'sports', too many 'events', too many competitors and coaches.

In Paris we saw 10,714 athletes, that's w/o the coaches and other national team staff, and of course, accommodation for all the broadcast teams. All in service of a whopping 329 events!

By comparison the Athens games of 1896 saw 241 athletes and 43 events.

I'm not suggesting the Olympics need be trimmed back to a strict track and field meet with a side of swimming......... but surely we can admit that this has become a bit silly.

In general, I would argue for removing sports that require judging for a start. Judging implies that something might be better characterized as an athletic artform, as opposed to sport in the traditional sense.

I would also be inclined to ask whether we need sports that seem to exist only for the Olympics (velodrome indoor cycling, and ski jumping come to mind)

Then, I would look to ask whether wee need races at every concievable distance, 100M, 200M, 400M, 5000m and 10000M, 1/2 marathon and marathon.........never mind 'race walking' and 'mountain running'........

This just seems like an excuse to try to get every country on the podium.

Lastly, I would look at shifting more indoor events to the winter games. To me, basketball is a winter sport, its in the summer games solely to appease the NBA who don't want a break in their season.

With a bit of work, the cost of hosting the winter games could be reduced modestly, while the cost of hosting the summer games could be dropped by 1/2. Still expensive, but not quite so preposterous.

I think the general issue of a Toronto bid, the costs, the risks, and the notion that at least in theory the benefits of the games could and should ideally be arrived at w/o the cost and hassle have been well covered.

What I would add is, the Olympics are simply too large.

Too many 'sports', too many 'events', too many competitors and coaches.

In Paris we saw 10,714 athletes, that's w/o the coaches and other national team staff, and of course, accommodation for all the broadcast teams. All in service of a whopping 329 events!

By comparison the Athens games of 1896 saw 241 athletes and 43 events.

I'm not suggesting the Olympics need be trimmed back to a strict track and field meet with a side of swimming......... but surely we can admit that this has become a bit silly.

In general, I would argue for removing sports that require judging for a start. Judging implies that something might be better characterized as an athletic artform, as opposed to sport in the traditional sense.

I would also be inclined to ask whether we need sports that seem to exist only for the Olympics (velodrome indoor cycling, and ski jumping come to mind)

Then, I would look to ask whether wee need races at every concievable distance, 100M, 200M, 400M, 5000m and 10000M, 1/2 marathon and marathon.........never mind 'race walking' and 'mountain running'........

This just seems like an excuse to try to get every country on the podium.

Lastly, I would look at shifting more indoor events to the winter games. To me, basketball is a winter sport, its in the summer games solely to appease the NBA who don't want a break in their season.

With a bit of work, the cost of hosting the winter games could be reduced modestly, while the cost of hosting the summer games could be dropped by 1/2. Still expensive, but not quite so preposterous.
This is a question about the games themselves.

First thing, Athletics has always had those distances you are mentioning, as well as the 800m, 1500m, and 3000m Steeplechase. Multiple events happen simultaneously during the Athletics events and that's easily one of the most blue ribbon sports on the Olympic program itself.

Removing judged sports eliminates possibly the most popular of all no matter who's competing, Gymnastics, then there's also Diving which is also a strong sport in the Olympics, other than that you have Artistic swimming, and those are the only judged sports that come mind in the summer games.

While pro basketball season may be in the winter, traditionally when I imagine a basketball game in my head, I imagine kids playing on the asphalt courts which clearly can only happen in the summer time, I do understand most basketball is played indoors, but you can't very well play a game of outdoor hockey in the summer, at least naturally.

The Paris Olympics seem to have been quite successful in contrast to some of those notorious disasters mentioned above. I was hooked watching them!
I'm not going to deny that, Tokyo would have been awesome too if it wasn't for the pandemic.

However, some have brought up if the Paris Olympics caused their metro extensions to be built, that is of course debatable. The Paris Olympics wasn't why the Line 11 and Line 14 extensions were built, although some will say that's how it happened.

A question in retrospect, did the Pan Am Games cause the UP Express to be built? I'm not sure on the answer myself, as I remember that was planned much before with an original working title of Blue22 or something like that. I'm not entirely sure if the UP is a legacy project of the Pan Am Games.

On a cheap sense, Toronto could basically host the Olympics if it wanted to, the only thing they need is an athletics stadium, but the problem there, the only purpose an athletics stadium can have after the fact is for it to be used for an NFL team, but that's an entirely different issue.

However, it would only be worthwhile entertain hosting the circus is if there was serious transportation infrastructure constructed.

A question in retrospect, did the Pan Am Games cause the UP Express to be built? I'm not sure on the answer myself, as I remember that was planned much before with an original working title of Blue22 or something like that. I'm not entirely sure if the UP is a legacy project of the Pan Am Games.

I remember the Pan-Am Games being the big selling point for the UPX.

This Infrastructure Ontario press release from 2011 specifically mentions the Pan-Am Games in the second paragraph.

I remember the Pan-Am Games being the big selling point for the UPX.

This Infrastructure Ontario press release from 2011 specifically mentions the Pan-Am Games in the second paragraph.

The Pan Am Games made them create a deadline which they did meet, but I believe the origins of this project predate the Pan Am bid by a long shot, it was supposed to be known as Blue22 I believe, in which it would take 22 minutes.

I seem to remember them also wanting to have the Line 1 extension open by the Pan Am games, which they obviously missed by 29 months.

Last edited:
Removing judged sports eliminates possibly the most popular of all no matter who's competing, Gymnastics, then there's also Diving which is also a strong sport in the Olympics, other than that you have Artistic swimming, and those are the only judged sports that come mind in the summer games.
Dressage
Breaking (break dancing)
Trampoline
Boxing
BMX (still a sport?)
Surfing

Dressage
Breaking (break dancing)
Trampoline
Boxing
BMX (still a sport?)
Surfing
Breaking isn't in the next one

Trampolining while technically a separate sport from both artistic gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics, I'm sure most people would group them in the same "family"

Boxing isn't in the next one, and you can win without the judges

BMX...forgot about that, when I heard BMX, I thought BMX races, but that's right, there is an event where you do tricks, along with skateboarding

Surfing, yup forgot that one.

My 2 cents to this topic as I USED to be a supporter of such bids in the past.

Winter games are child's play compared to summer games, and there is no place nearby Toronto that could host the downhill event for Alpine Skiing, so that eliminates that possibility right there. This is why Winter Olympics are generally in obscure places, because the right geography is necessary to be capable of hosting them, even though more recently, the concept of "Anchor Cities" has existed, in reality the 2010 Olympics could be thought of as Vancouver-Whistler. Like how 2026 will be Milan-Cortina.

That being said, had Toronto won 2008, the city would arguably be in much better infrastructure shape, because all governments would work together to build transportation infrastructure, or we at least would assume so. But nevertheless, why does it require hosting the "Five Ring Circus" to do this, and considering after some very bad financial Olympics, think Athens, Beijing, Rio, and the notorious winter games of Sochi, the Olympic movement is in very bad shape. People celebrated in Vancouver when they won the 2003 Winter Bid, nowadays hosting the Olympics is seen as a curse rather than a positive.

I'm caught for time right now, and if you want me to elaborate more I can.

Antoine Mountain's chalet sits nestled at the base of one of Ontario's highest mountains with 15 perfectly groomed runs, a true vertical of 630 feet and home to the longest run in Ontario (2.9km).

This is about 400km from Toronto. A winter games hosted by Toronto would be a flop. They don't have a hill close enough to do it.

With the admission of swimmers who swam in the river to the hospital,that is not a success.

Antoine Mountain's chalet sits nestled at the base of one of Ontario's highest mountains with 15 perfectly groomed runs, a true vertical of 630 feet and home to the longest run in Ontario (2.9km).

This is about 400km from Toronto. A winter games hosted by Toronto would be a flop. They don't have a hill close enough to do it.
You need at least a true vertical of 1480 feet for the downhill event.

As far as I know nowhere in Ontario could do it.

Kinda why I posted that.
Does anyone know if any of the hills in Mont Tremblant are high enough?
I can find a vertical drop of 2100 for Mont Tremblant, I know that the roadblock to a Quebec City Olympics was because of the pesky downhill event, so I wonder why they never considered Mont Tremblant then, perhaps it doesn’t meet all the requirements for the downhill event either?

Some did float the idea of a Montreal-Lake Placid joint bid in the past, which makes me wonder why no one considered Mont Tremblant as part of the equation there.

While the IOC in theory could allow international bids, as Kraków’s bid for 2022 had the Alpine events in Slovakia, it’s a lot different when you have the Schengen Agreement in which crossing the border isn’t a big deal, unlike the headaches of crossing the Canada-USA border would be.

Since the IOC awarded 2030 and 2034, we are talking about 2038 as the next available winter games…..that’s a long time away

Back