News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

hkskyline's 2009 TORONTO Photo Collection Part 3

hkskyline

Member Bio
Reaction score
94. It's time to head north to the city above Toronto to see how urban sprawl has blighted yet another North American city.

IMG_3806.jpg

95. While these houses look nice and spacious, don't count on the bus to get you anywhere.

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

100. There is a price to pay for a garden in the city.

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

121. Coming soon ... more sprawl!

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

un⋅sus⋅tain⋅a⋅ble Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhn-suh-stey-nuh-buhl]

not able to be maintained or supported in the future, esp. without causing damage or depletion of a resource

Or is it? Small businesses running out of the garages for business density akin to Victorian Toronto, splitting the living space into units for additional residential density, building towers on local supermarket parking lots (which often make up more than 50% of the property), can all make it work under extreme conditions. Couple this with 4 litre/100 km cars for those who still need it, and you've got a neighbourhood which can be around for one's expected lifetime and probably beyond.

But I despise the architecture. And it seems to be getting worse with those new white things which no longer even hint at a pre-Modern vernacular.

But I despise the architecture. And it seems to be getting worse with those new white things which no longer even hint at a pre-Modern vernacular.

Interesting too that the cursive spelled out address is making a comeback on them (the second to last photo). Has that ever not been extraordinarily tacky?

Newer Suburbs of Toronto...

HKS: Interesting pics showing recent years suburbs of Toronto-
Where were they taken and can you single out any areas specifically?
I noticed that many houses seem to be built close together and I also noticed brick and stone used-or is it just a facade?
I noticed just a few McMansion-type houses on a large plot of land-any reason why so few? On LI the property taxes alone would be astronomical...
I have never been a fan of totally car-dependent sprawl anyway-I believe in a balanced transport system with alternatives to driving for basic existence...
Observations by LI MIKE

HKS: Interesting pics showing recent years suburbs of Toronto-
Where were they taken and can you single out any areas specifically?
I noticed that many houses seem to be built close together and I also noticed brick and stone used-or is it just a facade?
I noticed just a few McMansion-type houses on a large plot of land-any reason why so few? On LI the property taxes alone would be astronomical...
I have never been a fan of totally car-dependent sprawl anyway-I believe in a balanced transport system with alternatives to driving for basic existence...
Observations by LI MIKE

Around 16th and Bathurst / Dufferin.

Brick and stone are usually just facade. The interiors are primarily drywall.

This is a more middle class neighbourhood, so the home sizes are more modest. It's not Bridle Path north of Steeles. :)

HK you are a maniacman 47,000 post over at SSC and now your hitting it up at Urban Toronto. WOW! keep up the good work bud.

Back